Vigilante action at Walmart (AZ)

  • Doralina
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      From: Coalicion de Derechos Humanos
      [mailto:coalicion@...]
      Subject: Response to vigilante action at Wal-Mart in
      Douglas

      Greetings to all,

      We here at Derechos Humanos/Alianza Ind�gena are deeply
      disturbed by a recent report of vigilante activity in
      Douglas, Arizona. It seems that the Barnetts are finding
      new ways to express their contempt for the law. We
      received word that four individuals were detained at
      Wal-Mart by the Barnetts. Two men were handcuffed to a
      bench and their wives detained (but not handcuffed) as
      well, while Border Patrol was called.

      Pasted below is the text of the letter that Derechos
      Humanos/Alianza Ind�gena has drafted, demanding that the
      Cochise County Attorney, Chris Roll, take action. We urge
      all organizations and individuals who are as outraged at
      this as we are to make their opinions be known to the
      Cochise County Attorney, Attorney General, and the media.
      It is imperative to the struggle for justice to stamp out
      illegal actions like the ones being committed by the
      Barnetts and other vigilante groups.

      In solidarity,

      Coalici�n de Derechos Humanos/Alianza Ind�gena Sin
      Fronteras
      www.derechoshumanosaz.net

      *******************
      Chris Roll, Cochise County Attorney:
      CC: Janet Napolitano, Arizona Attorney General;
      U.S. Attorney�s Office;
      Southern Arizona media

      To Whom It May Concern:

      As a human rights organization, Coalici�n de Derechos
      Humanos/Alianza Ind�gena Sin Fronteras is deeply concerned
      about a recent report of vigilante activity at the Wal-Mart
      in Douglas, Arizona. We are requesting
      that the Cochise County Attorney look into this matter, as
      it is in blatant violation of state law.

      The account given to us is that vigilantes are doing
      �citizen arrests.� It is reported that two individuals
      were handcuffed to a bench and their wives
      detained at Wal-Mart while the Border Patrol was called.
      The Border Patrol apparently informed one individual that
      citizen arrests are permitted.

      According to state law, a person is not allowed to detain
      or arrest anyone unless a felony or a misdemeanor that
      consists of a breach of the peace is being committed in his
      or her presence. The behavior of these vigilante
      groups is dangerous and unjust, and is in violation of
      Arizona state statutes, specifically ARS Section 13-1303.
      The misinformation given by the Border Patrol that such
      vigilante behavior is permitted is not only
      irresponsible, as it encourages racism, but also completely
      inappropriate.

      Several local police departments have made it very clear
      that they have no intention of enforcing immigration law;
      how then, can it be permitted that citizens take up the
      task? And to do so at a local Wal-Mart, frequented by
      families and children, will only instill more hostility and
      fear into an already suffering community.

      We demand that the Cochise County Attorney�s office
      investigate this matter. Such disregard for the law, public
      safety, and decency must not go unchecked. It is
      imperative that these individuals understand that, under
      law, they do not have the right to act in this manner, and
      we, as concerned citizens, will not tolerate it in our
      communities.

      Sincerely,

      Jose Matus, Director

      http://finance.yahoo.com