Aug 18 Summer Youth-Immigrants Unite! Culture Festival @ Lafayette Park Center

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2002
      ActionLA
      Summer Youth-Immigrants Unite! Culture Festival
      Youth & Immigrants United, We'll Never be Defeated!
      Sunday, August 18   4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
      Lafayette Senior Citizens Center
      625 S. Lafayette Park Pl, Los Angeles
      $5:00/person (no one will be turn away for lack of funds)
      For MOre Information, Please Call: (626)695-3405

      Action LA is proud to announce on August 18 we will sponsor a music, teach-in, cultural festival where youth activists and immigrant worker communities of the Macarthur Park-Korean Town area are invited to participate. They join hand-to-hand to express solidarity with each other's struggles, such as: immigrant rights, sweatshops, police brutality, schools not jails and affordable housing. We'll declare: Youth & Immigrants United, We'll Never be Defeated!

      The Festival includes: music performance, spoken words, workshops, art exhibit, community cooking and tabling. The proceeding will benefit ActionLA-Arts in Action computer room, Community Internet Access Project and KPFK-Asian-Pacific Islander Radio Collective.

      Co-Sponsors of the event includes: Arts in ActionLA, Wise-Up LA, Sol Foundation, Los Angeles CISPES, KYCC and OCRC. Detail programs as follows:

      Workshops:
      Victor Narro, executive director of LA Sweatshop Watch, Orange County Residence Council, REACH, Arts in Action, AACTT, Los Angeles Independent Media Center and Alianca Indigena y Fronteras.

      Music Performance:
      Balagtasan Collective, El Nuevo Sol, Aztlan Underearth, Over the Counter Intelligence, 2Mex, Jupitersciples, SoRiMoDum, J. Lee from Resist and Exist, Shin-B, Bambu and DJ Denkym

      Community Tabling:
      ChangeLinks, Libero Revolution, Young Communist League, Youth Approach for Development & Cooperation (YADC), Queer Youth of Color for Community Action (QYCCA), Young Communist League (YCL), Alianca Indigena y Fronteras, and more...
      Schedule of the Event:

      4:30 PM: Opening ceremony

      5:00 - 6:00 PM; Workshop Block One: Immigrant Issues (1 hour)

      (a) Theater Big Room:
      5:00-5:30 PM: Victor Narro-Sweatshop LA: immigrant Know Your Rights
      5:30-6:00 PM: OCRC: the INS substation in Anaheim Police Station
      (and possible youth speaker from CARECEN or Wise-Up about you issues)

      (b) Child Care Room (next to the stage):
      5:00 - 5:30 PM: HERE/Africa Alive: Cross-Border Solidarity
      5:30 - 6:00 PM: Alianca Indigena y Fronteras: film on US-Mexico Border

      (c) Child Care Room (next to the Theater Room, maybe out door if too hot):
      5:00 - 5:30 PM: REACH: Long Beach INS Immigrant Busts

      6:00 - 6:15 PM: Over the Counter Intelligence

      6:20 - 6:30 PM: Shin-B & DJ Denkym

      6:35 - 6:50 PM: SoRiMoDum & J. Lee

      6:55 - 7:15 PM: Aztlan Unearthed

      7:00 PM: Arts in Action workshop will be over at outdoor.

      7:15 - 7:55 PM: Food Break provide from FLB, and Second Workshop Block: Arts and Media (40 mim)

      (a) Theater Big Room:
      7:15 PM - 7:55 PM: AACTT: youth performance on social issues

      (b) Child Care Room (next to the stage):
      7:15 PM - 7:45 PM: LA Independent Media Center

      8:00 - 9:00 PM: At the big room, a community dialogue section with pop-up topics (of those who want to take a break from the music and eat free food)

      8:00 - 8:20 PM: Balagtasan and Bambu

      8:25 - 8:50 PM: El Nuevo Xol

      8:50 -9:00 PM: Solidarity statements from KIWA re: Assi Supermarket struggles

      9:00 - 9:20 PM: Jupitercriples

      9:25 - 9:45 PM: 2Mex

      10:30 PM: End of the Event

      Lee Siu Hin