Fwd: Take action: Oppose U.S. Military Training in Guatemala

  • Gretchen Begley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      Dear Everybody,
      We need your help to stop U.S. military training of Guatemala's army!
      Military links with clandestine groups determined to prevent justice
      for past abuses and to stall present military reforms are leading to
      vicious death threats against many of Guatemala's most prominent
      human rights leaders. Threats and assaults have targeted clergy,
      judges and prosecutors, witnesses in key cases, trade union
      activists, reporters, and forensic anthropologists investigating
      massacre sites. Several activists have been killed; others have fled
      the country. Furthermore, the Guatemalan military has not met the
      provisions in the Peace Accord. Despite the existence of a
      congressional ban on International Military Education and Training
      (IMET) and Foreign Military Training (FMF) established in 1990 the
      United States has resumed training of Guatemalan soldiers through the
      Pentagon's anti-narcotics program.

      Please take action and encourage friends and coworkers to take
      action, too, by visiting:
      http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=1790

      email to
      alerts@....