FNS: FBI Calls Juárez Serial Killings "Crimes Against Humanity," Is Ready to I

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2002
      FNS: FBI Calls Juárez Serial Killings "Crimes Against Humanity," Is Ready to
      Investigate
      Date: 7/18/02 12:18:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time
      From: frontera@... (Frontera)

      In Ciudad Juárez on Wednesday, July 17, 2002, John Crowford, the
      director of the FBI's El Paso office, said that the city's serial
      femicides are crimes against humanities and not just Cd. Juárez crimes.

      Because of the magnitude and seriousness of the crimes, Crowford said
      that the FBI is ready to send all the support and resources necessary to
      cooperate in an investigation with the Chihuahuah State Police. However,
      the FBI can not intervene until it receives a formal request from
      Mexico.

      Speaking to a commission comprised of Mexican federal legislators who
      are looking into the nearly 80 serial rape-murders, Crowford said that
      he too has daughters and if one of them was murdered he also would
      demand an investigation and would demand that the killer be brought to
      justice.

      After the meeting with Crowford, Lorenzo Aquino Miranda, the Chihuahua
      director of the Federal Attorney General's Office, said that for the FBI
      to investigate the murders in Cd. Juárez, the Chihuahua state government
      would need to request FBI intervention from the Mexican Ministry of
      Foreign Relations. The Ministry would then make a formal request for FBI
      help from the US government.

      Source: El Norte (Cd. Juárez), July 18, 2002. Article by Rosa Isela
      Pérez & Salvador Castro.

      --
      Frontera NorteSur
      On-line news coverage of the US-Mexico border

      FNS is an outreach program of the Center for Latin American and Border
      Studies
      New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico