Fw: STOP FAST TRACK, once and for all! Your help is needed!

  • Norma J. F. Harrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2002
      From: "OWC" <ilcinfo@...>
      To: <Recipient List Suppressed:>
      Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 11:21 AM
      Subject: STOP FAST TRACK, once and for all! Your help is needed!

      OWC CAMPAIGN NEWS - distributed by the Open World Conference in
      Defense of Trade Union Independence & Democratic Rights, c/o S.F. Labor
      Council, 1188 Franklin St., #203, San Francisco, CA 94109.
      Phone: (415) 641-8616 Fax: (415) 440-9297.
      Visit our website at www.owcinfo.org - Notify if any change in email address.
      (Please excuse duplicate postings, and please feel free to re-post.)
      -------------------

      Dear Sisters and Brothers:

      Please find below an urgent e-mail update/action alert on Fast Track
      that was sent out by Global Exchange. Please join us in this effort
      to stop Fast Track, once and for all. In this update you will find
      out what you can do this coming week to help out.

      Please spread this e-mail far and wide to your own friends, coworkers
      and email lists so that Global Exchange, which will be organizing
      phonebanking on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of next week [see
      details below] can fill their phones.

      If you have any further questions on how you can help, please contact
      Leila Salazar at Global Exchange at 415-575-5536.

      Thanks,

      Ed Rosario and Alan Benjamin,
      Co-coordinators,
      OWC Continuations Committee

      ***********************

      In this update you will find:

      1. Update on Fastrack

      2. What can you do to stop Fast Track?/VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES NEXT WEEK!

      3. Why stop Fast Track?/Background Info

      4. ACTION ALERT: NATIONAL ALL CALL WEEK AGAINST FAST TRACK: JULY 16 -19

      ********************

      Dear Friends,

      For the last 7 months, we have been updating you on the struggle to
      STOP Fast Track Trade Negotiating Authority. In December, the first
      Fast Track bill went through Congress and we lost by one single vote.
      In May, the second bill went through the Senate and passed as well.
      The Fast Track bill is still being debated in Congress, in a
      conference committee where House and Senate representatives are
      trying to mesh the two forms of the bill Together. It is possible
      that the bill will come out of committee and onto the House floor for
      a vote before the August recess, which begins on July 26th.

      So, the fight to STOP FAST TRACK is not over, and we need your help to stop it!

      Thank you so much for your continued support. Please pass along this
      e-mail to your family and friends all across the country. Together we
      will STOP FAST TRACK once and for all!

      ********************

      WHAT CAN YOU DO?

      1. CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE There is a toll free number for you to
      express your opinions to your elected representatives. All you have
      to do is call 1-877-611-0063 and you will be connected to the Capitol
      SwitchBoard. You may ask for your representative by name. You can
      leave a message with the voicemail if there is no person to answer
      the phone. You can also call your Representative at their District
      Office.

      When you get your Representative's office, let them know that you
      want to convey your OPPOSITION to "Fast Track". Make sure that your
      Representative hears that you want them to vote AGAINST Fast Track,
      and that you strongly believe the formation of trade policy should be
      open, transparent and democratic.

      2. VOLUNTEER AT GLOBAL EXCHANGE *If you are in the Bay Area, join
      Global Exchange, Public Citizen and the Contra Costa Labor Council in
      a phonebank next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (July 16-18) from
      6-8 at Global Exchange. We are located at 2017 Mission St, 3rd floor,
      at the corner of 16th and Mission streets in San Francisco.

      We will be calling Global Exchange members and trade unionists in
      districts where members of Congress are wavering about whether or not
      they will support Fast Track. We will particularly be focusing on the
      districts of Ellen Tauscher and Anna Eshoo. Please call Leila Salazar
      at 415-255-7296 to confirm and PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!!!

      We will also be leafletting at events, such as farmer's markets, in
      Representative Tausher and Eshoo's districts. If you are interested
      in volunteering, please contact us!

      3. MEET WITH YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS In the short time left, you can
      try to meet with them when they return to your district, call the
      office to set up an appointment with them or their aides.

      4. Send Letters to the Editor about Fast Track.

      5. ORGANIZE A TOWN HALL MEETING

      ********************

      WHY STOP FAST TRACK?

      Fast Track is a fundamentally undemocratic procedure by which the US
      Congress surrenders its ability to craft trade policy. If Fast Track
      passes, debate on trade bills will be severely limited, and will
      curtain the ability of average citizens, like us, to make our views
      known about the so-called Free Trade agreements.

      Beating Fast Track is important because it is the first step towards
      defeating the planned Free Trade Area of Americas. The Free Trade
      Area of America's (FTAA) is a multi-national plan to expand NAFTA
      from Canada to Argentina. The plan would allow the Presidents of all
      countries included to make trade decisions without the consent of
      their Congresses.

      Not only would the FTAA be detrimental to Americans, it would allow
      foreign corporations to sue the United States government if they are
      able to provide proof that some regulation of the United States
      limited their profits in some way. If the trial would go to court it
      would be up to the American taxpayer to foot the bill if the foreign
      company won the case.

      President Bush is trying to drive "Fast Track" through Congress right
      now. On Monday, he was quoted as saying, "Creating more jobs and
      strengthening our economy are critical priorities. And Congress can
      act to create jobs by giving me trade promotion authority. Expanding
      trade means new jobs for American workers. Congress has debated trade
      now for more than a year. It's time to stop talking; it's time to
      start acting. Congress should act to create American jobs before it
      goes home for the August recess."

      Unfortunately, President Bush has it all wrong! Fast Track (and the
      FTAA) will not create more jobs for Americans. It will send US jobs
      abroad, which will hurt the US economy. It will export sweatshops and
      low wage jobs to countries like Mexico and China, where the rights of
      workers to organize are not respected. In addition, Fast Track is a
      blank check for US corporations to disregard environmental
      protections in the US, as well as other countries around the world.
      We need to urge Congress to uphold democracy, protect our economy,
      and our environment by saying NO TO FAST TRACK!

      *******ACTION ALERT*ACTION ALERT*ACTION ALERT************

      Via Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch

      JULY 16 -19 NATIONAL ALL CALL WEEK AGAINST FAST TRACK: NO BLANK CHECK
      FOR CORPORATE INTERESTS! AFL-CIO SPONSORED TOLL FREE #: 877-611-0063

      Join workers, environmentalists, family farmers and concerned
      citizens everywhere in telling the Congress to say NO to Fast Track!
      Fast Track is a sneaky manuever that gives corporations and their
      government cronies a free ride to go over the heads of the American
      people and devise trade agreements in their own best interests.

      Under Fast Track, trade agreements (like NAFTA, the WTO and the
      proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas/FTAA) are delivered signed
      and sealed to Congress AFTER they have been negotiated for an up or
      down vote by Congress with no amendments allowed and only 20 hours of
      debate. Fast-tracked agreements like NAFTA and the WTO brought us
      lost jobs, attacks on local environmental laws, the "race to the
      bottom" in labor and environmental standards here and abroad and the
      destruction of more than 33,000 family farms.

      Bush-appointed U.S. trade negotiators are "advised" by more than 500
      multinational corporations. Before its recent blowup, Enron was a key
      advisor to U.S. negotiators promoting trade in "services" - including
      energy deregulation - at the WTO! Under NAFTA, foreign corporations
      have sued for billions of dollars in compensation when public
      interest laws, like bans on chemicals or Buy America requirements,
      cut into their profit margin. Fast Track is a way to make sure that
      the public remains uninformed of these corporate boondoogles. When an
      agreement is "Fast-Tracked," the final product of these
      corporate-driven negotiations is steamrolled through Congress without
      any chance for debate or changes.

      CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND SAY YOU WANT DEMOCRACY, NOT FAST TRACK!

      Call the DC Capitol switchboard and ask to be connected to your Rep:
      AFL-CIO Toll Free #: 877-611-0063 OR Capitol direct line: 202-224-3121

      CHECK HERE FOR YOUR REGIONAL ALL CALL DAY!

      Ø TUESDAY 7/16 - SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST (AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS,
      NC, NM, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV)

      Ø WEDNESDAY 7/17 - MID-WEST (IA, IN, IL, KS, OH, OK, MI, MN, MO, NE, WI)

      Ø THURSDAY 7/18 - WEST COAST AND WESTERN PLAINS (CA, CO, ID, MT, ND,
      NV, OR, SD, WA, WY, UT)

      Ø FRIDAY 7/19 - EAST COAST (CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT)

      For more information? Contact any member of the Global Trade Watch
      field team at gtwfield@... 202-546-4996.

      You can also check the website at www.tradewatch.org