FNS: Mexican Migrant Workers Beaten near San Diego in 2000 Receive $1.4 Million

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      Date: 1/24/02 3:53:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
      From: frontera@... (Frontera)

      January 24, 2002
      Mexican Migrant Workers Beaten near San Diego in 2000 Receive $1.4
      Million

      The Tijuana newspaper Frontera (no relationship to FNS) reports that
      five Mexican migrant workers received US$1.4 million in an out of court
      settlement for the attack they sustained on July 5, 2000.

      In an attack described in more detail at
      http://www.nmsu.edu/~frontera/sep00/hmrt.html, the men said they were
      hunted, beaten and shot at for over an hour by a group of young white
      men. One man received multiple, point-blank, pellet gun shots to the
      face and another was shot in the back five times.

      While the settlement ends the civil side of the incident, the criminal
      case continues. Accused of the attack are eight young men that were
      between the ages of 14 and 16 at the time of the event.

      Frontera also reported that the victims will share the settlement
      according to the severity of their wounds.

      Source: Frontera (Tijuana), January 24, 2002.

      --
      Frontera NorteSur
      On-line news coverage of the US-Mexico border

      FNS is an outreach program of the Center for Latin American and Border
      Studies
      New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico

      Greg Bloom, Editor
      Email address: frontera@...
      (505) 646-6817