October 6 - 12 US and Canada Anti-War Protests Information!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2001

      ----------
      No War For "Revenge"!
      War Is Not The Answer

      Please visit our ntionwide antiwar information,resource site:
      www.ActionLA.org/S11

      -----------
      October 6 - 12 US and Canada Anti-War Protests

      *To announce your protest, links, or good information, please send to:
      siuhin@...

      *The protest information has been complied from different activist listservs,
      Indymedia Centers, e-mail annoucements and Protest.net

      Since some events may change or cancel withouth advance notice, PLEASE PLEASE
      call and check with the event organizer before you go.

      For more protest information please visit our US and Canada protest schedule
      info at:
      http://www.actionla.org/S11/Region.htm

      **Arizona

      Tucson:
      (I) SAY NO TO WAR! Peace Vigil
      Every Thursdays, 5:00 PM
      Federal Building Downtown Tucson. 300 West Congress.

      We Demand:
      1) Peace
      2) No curtailment of our civil liberties!
      3) No scapegoating of our Moslem, Arab, and other neighbors!

      (II) Women In Black peace vigil
      Every Fridays, 5:00 - 6:00 PM
      4 corners of Speedway and Euclid
      By: Tucson Women in Black
      Contact: (520)407-1432

      Tucson Women in Black are holding a silent vigil each Friday from 5 - 6 p.m.
      in opposition to violence, terrorism and war everywhere. They will provide
      signs expressing this, such as ones reading "World Peace Through Nonviolence
      - All Other Methods Have Failed -MLK Jr", "The Choice is Nonviolence or
      Nonexistence" (also from MLK, Jr.), "An Eye for an Eye Makes Everyone Blind",
      "War is Not the Answer" and " Let us create hope, not violence". All those
      willing to maintain a posture of silence are welcome. Please wear black and
      join us for this vigil for peace and nonviolence.

      **California

      Artesia:
      South Asian Community Town Hall
      Saturday, October 6, 1:00 PM
      Artesia Community Center, 18750 Clarkdale Ave., Artesia, CA
      By: Asian Pacific American Legal Center, South Asian Network, and LACCHR
      Contact: South Asian Network, (562) 403 0488

      The recent hate backlash has hiw the South Asian Community hard. Pakistanis,
      Sikhs, and others have been targeted for assaults, desecration of their holy
      sites, and racial profiling. To date, 7 South Asians have
      been killed, for alleged hate based motivations.

      APALC, South Asian Network, and LACCHR are co-sponsoring a community
      education town hall in Artesia for the South Asian community and others to
      talk about hate crimes, civil rights and civil liberties issues arising out
      of the 911 attacks. People looking to find out how the South Asian community
      has been impacted, what people's rights are, and what legal and other
      resources exist should attend.

      Fairfax:
      Weekly Sunday Peace Rallies
      Every Sundays, 11:00 AM
      Grassy Park, Downtown Fairfax
      Contact: Angelina Frost or Peaceman at (415) 458-0121 or email:
      handsong@... Web: www.askpeace.org

      Fairfax is 30 minutes from the Golden Gate.

      1.Exit Highway 101 at Sir Francis Drake Boulevard.
      2.Continue on Sir Francis Drake to Fairfax.
      3.LEFT on Pacheco
      4.RIGHT on Broadway
      5.LEFT on Bolinas.
      6.Go 1/4 mile to Peri Park (on the Right; across from 85
      Bolinas Road).

      Irvine:
      Teach-In: Terrorism, War, and the Media: What You Don't Hear in Mainstream
      Media
      Saturday, October 20, 3:00 PM
      Social Sciences Lecture Hall, UC Irvine
      By: Academia and Action (UCI), in conjunction with Pacifica Campaign, Act for
      Global Justice and UCI Response.
      e-mail: academiaandaction@...

      Speakers include:
      David Barsamian: "Terrorism: Theirs and Ours"
      Laura Flanders: "Media Coverage of the Terrorist Attack and the Media
      Blackout of the Peace Movement"
      Sonali Kolhatkar, "Afghan Humanitarian Crisis and Women's Resistance"
      Prof. Glen Mimura (UCI), "Relevant Lessons from the Japanese American
      Internment"
      Speaker from UCI Muslin Student Union, "Harassment of
      Muslim/Middle-Eastern/South Asians"

      Los Angeles:

      (I) UCLA Teach-In
      Tuesday, October 9, 6:00 PM
      By: Student Coalition Against the War
      Contact: Brett Featherstone e-mail: blnkcnvs@...

      (II) Interfaith Service
      Sunday, October 7, 4:00 PM
      1075 Exposition Boulevard, Masjid Omar, (Vermont & Exposition) right across
      from USC
      By: Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace

      We will have an interfaith service each Sunday at 4:00 p.m. beginning October
      7 at USC Mosque, 1075 Exposition Boulevard, Los Angeles. We hope these will
      build our constituency so that we have a large rally on November 18 at 4:00
      p.m. at a site still to be determined.

      (III) South Asian Community Town Hall - Legal Training
      Tuesday, October 9, 2001, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
      Junipero Serra State Building, Carmel Conference Room, First Floor 320 W.
      Fourth Street, Los Angeles
      By: Asian Pacific American Legal Center, South Asian Network, and LACCHR
      Contact: Tracee Carpenter (916) 227-1166

      The second event for south Asian Community town hall, a legal training for
      those advocates interested in learning more about hate crimes and
      discrimination law. (MCLE credit is available, free admission). Participation
      in this event will facilitate the creation of a pool of attorneys and
      advocates who can serve as a resource to victims of hate crimes, civil
      liberties violations or discrimination.

      (IV) Panel to promote tolerance
      Tuesday, October 9, 2001 2:00-4:00 PM
      Los Angeles County Dept. of Health 313 N. Figueroa Street, Auditorium (corner
      of Temple)
      By: Office of Diversity Programs
      Contact: (213) 240-7710

      Panel to promote tolerance, speakers include: Rabbi Steven Jacobs (Temple Kol
      Tikvan), Samal Al-Marayati (Muslim Public Affairs Council), Hamid Kahn (South
      Asian Network), Robin Toma (L.A. County Human Relations Commission).

      Oakland:
      Weekly Peace Walk
      Every Sundays, 3:00 PM
      East end of Lake Merritt, between Grand and Lakeshore
      By: Lake Merritt Neighbors Organized for Peace (LMNOP)
      Contact: Beth Wagner, (510)763-8712, e-mail: lmno4p@...

      Pasadena:
      Vigil: No More Victims
      Sunday, October 7, 12:30 PM
      Pasadena City Hall, 100 N Garfield Avenue (west side of building)
      By: American Friends Service Committee, All Saints Church
      Contact: call AFSC at: (626)791-1978 or email: sgibson@...

      Our calls and points of unity are to:
      - Mourn the victims and condemn the attacks of September 11.
      - Stand in defense of civil liberties.
      - Oppose anti-Arab, anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant and all forms of racial,
      ethnic, and religious violence and bigotry.
      - Oppose military intervention and war.
      - Seek global peace through social and economic justice.
      - Seek justice not vengeance; bring the perpetrators to justice through
      established principles of international law.

      Sebastopol:
      Women In Black Vigil For Peace with Justice
      Every Fridays, 12:00 - 1:00 PM
      Junction of State Highways 116 and 12

      Women In Black standing in silent vigil for peace. Please wear black. We
      wanted to, we needed to, do something and standing in silence, dressed for
      mourning seems fitting. Women all over the world stand united as Women In
      Black.

      Ukiah:
      Parents for Peace Meeting
      Sunday, October 7, 5:00 PM
      Alex Thomas Park
      Contact: (707)459-4824

      We are parents organized for peace.
      We will end the violence through action, education, support and dialogue.Our
      voices must be heard.
      We owe it to our children.No more violence! Wage Peace Now!

      **Florida

      St. Petersburg:
      Rally for Peace
      Saturday, October 6, 12:00 - 6:00 PM
      Campbell Park
      By: The Coalition for Peace and Social Justice
      Contact: contact 727-821-6620, e-mail: psjcoalition@...

      The Coalition for Peace and Social Justice is a newly formed coalition of a
      broad base of organizations from throughout the city that was formed in
      response
      to the U.S.'s call for war. It is open to anyone (individuals and
      organizations) that unite with our six principles of unity.
      1. Support Peace, Oppose War
      2. Support Social Justice, Around the World and Within the U.S.
      3. Support Civil Liberties, Oppose Racial and Religious Bigotry and Attacks
      4. Support the Universal Human Rights of all Oppressed People, including Arab
      People
      5. Oppose all Forms of Terrorism
      6. Respect the Ideological and Political Differences of Members Within the
      Coalition

      **Georgia

      Atlanta:
      Weekly Interfaith Prayer Vigil
      Every Sundays, 2:00 - 2:30 PM
      THE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR CENTER FOR NONVIOLENT SOCIAL CHANGE, 449 Auburn
      Avenue Atlanta, GA
      By: Pax Christi, American Friends Service Committee, Nipponzan Myohoji
      Atlanta Buddhist Dojo, Congregation Bet Haverim, etc.
      Contact: (678) 339-9602

      Responding to the tragedy of terrorist attacks on the U.S., gathering at the
      Tomb of Martin Luther King, Jr. sends a powerful call for spiritual
      transformation and reconciliation both here at home and internationally.

      **Massachusetts

      Andover:
      September 11th Forum
      Wednesday, October 10, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
      Andover High School Media Center (Library)
      By: Student-Community Action Corps
      Contact: Steve Brown (978)749-6710. E-mail: scacorps@yahoogroups.com

      The horror of September 11th has had far reaching consequences throughout our
      communities. In addition to the tragic loss of life, thousands of others lost
      their livelihoods, and have been threatened by the racist backlash. Join us
      as we discuss: Where do we go from here?

      -
      Amherst:
      Weekly Peace Vigil, on Commons
      Every Sundays, 12:00 PM
      Traprock Peace Center, 103A Keets Road Deerfield, MA
      Contact: (413)773-7427 Web: www.traprockpeace.org

      **Missouri

      Kansas City:
      Kansas City: Not in Our Name
      Sunday, October 7, 1:00 - 3:00 PM
      J.C. Nichols Fountain (47th & Main)
      By: Justice/Not Vengence Network
      Contact: (816)931-5256

      How we respond to the tragedy of September 11th will drastically impact all
      of our lives! Come mourn the lost, honor diversity, learn about the issues,
      and call for peace, healing and justice under the rule of law.

      St. Louis:
      Weekly Vigil for Peace
      Every Sundays, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
      Catholic Cathedral (Newstead and Lindell)
      By: Catholic Action Network for Social Justice

      **New Hampshire

      Concord:
      Weekly vigils/leafleting action
      Every Fridays, 6:00 PM
      By: NH Peace Action, American Friends Service Committee
      Dover, NH - Weekly vigils/leafleting actions Fridays at 6 pm, David Diamond,
      ddiam@...

      For information about vigils and leafleting in New Hampshire, contact Sean
      Donahue and Patrick Carkin, NH Peace Action, info@...,
      (603)228-0559, www.nhpeaceaction.org; Arnie Alpert, American Friends Service
      Committee, aalpert@..., or (603)224-2407, www.afsc.org

      Dover:
      Ongoing anti-bombing, peace vigil
      Every Saturdays, 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
      In front of Dover city hall.
      Contact: (603)749-9159 Web: www.nhpeaceaction.org

      Ongoing vigil and leafleting against war, including the continueing bombing
      of Iraq and the imminant attacks on Afghanistan.

      Keene:
      Weekly vigils/leafleting action
      Every Saturdays, September 29, 11:00 - 12:00 Pm
      At Central Square
      By: New Hampshire Peace Action
      Contact: Kurt Konietzko, e-mail: kurttm@...

      For information about vigils and leafleting in New Hampshire, contact Sean
      Donahue and Patrick Carkin, NH Peace Action, info@...,
      (603)228-0559, www.nhpeaceaction.org; Arnie Alpert, American Friends Service
      Committee, aalpert@..., or (603)224-2407, www.afsc.org

      Plymouth:

      Weekly vigils/leafleting action
      Every Saturdays, September 29, 12:00 PM
      At Town Common
      By: New Hampshire Peace Action
      Contact: Lynn Chong, e-mail: chonglyn@...

      For information about vigils and leafleting in New Hampshire, contact Sean
      Donahue and Patrick Carkin, NH Peace Action, info@...,
      (603)228-0559, www.nhpeaceaction.org; Arnie Alpert, American Friends Service
      Committee, aalpert@..., or (603)224-2407, www.afsc.org

      Montclair:
      Anti-War Teach-in (plan)
      Saturday, October 6, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
      Unitarian Church in Montclair
      By: NJ Peace Action
      Contact: njsane@... Web: www.njpeaceaction.org

      Second of two teach-ins.

      **New York

      (I) New York City:
      Filipino-American Youth and Student Leaders' Forum: Responding to September
      11th
      Saturday, October 6, 3:00-6:00 PM
      Immaculate Conception Church, 414 E. 14th Street, between 1st Ave. and Ave. A
      By: The INANG BAYAN (Motherland) MOVEMENT
      Contact: (212)741-6806 E-mail: InangBayanMuna@...

      (II) NYC Anti War March and Rally
      "New York: Not in Our Name, Our Grief is Not a Cry for War"
      Sunday, October 7,
      Interfaith Service: 2:30 - 3:00 PM
      March and Rally: 3:00 PM
      Assemble at Union Square
      Contact: (212)228-0450, Web: http://www.nynotinourname.org

      War is not the answer.

      In the aftermath of this horror, we reject the acts of violence directed
      against our Arab and Muslim neighbors. We reject all expressions of racial,
      religious and ethnic bigotry and violence.

      We come together in our commitment to a peaceful world, a peace built on
      social and economic justice.

      Please bring candles and wear white for mourning and peace.

      (II) PEACE IN THE 21st CENTURY: AN IMPERATIVE FOR SURVIVAL
      A Teach In/Speak Out Forum
      Monday, October 8th, 2001 (Columbus Day Observed)
      Seating begins at 1:30pm, forum begins at 2:00pm
      Three Sessions from 2:00pm to 7:00pm
      Community Church of New York, 40 East 35th Street (35th and Park Avenue)

      Topics Include:
      HOW DID WE GET HERE? Policies and aspects of culture which have
      contributed to the build-up of anti-western sentiment.
      ALTERNATIVES TO WAR: Non-violent, ethical, and practical approaches to
      resolution of conflicts.
      INVOLVING THE PUBLIC: Shifting public attitudes away from apathy and
      toward becoming informed and involved.

      Speakers include:
      Alice Slater, GRACE, the War Resistors League, Diane Williams, Coordinator.

      **Ohio

      Columbus:
      * On the Day When the Bombs Begin to Fall...(we don't know when, so pay
      attention to the media!)
      Get together at 4:30 p.m. in front of the Columbus Metropolitan Library at 96
      S. Grant Ave; then march to the State House (Broad & High) & hold an anti-war
      rally. (If the bombs begin to fall after the appointed time, meet at the same
      place at the same time on the following day)

      (I) Disseminating anti-war materials at the Gallery Hop in Short North
      Saturday, October 6
      If you want to participate in this action, contact Adam Tenney
      adamosu@... for more info.

      (II) Anti-War Coalition Meeting
      Sunday, October 7, 5:00 PM
      Buckeye Suite CDE on the 3rd Fl. of the Ohio Union
      Please send agenda items to dr_broccoli@... before the day of the
      meeting.

      **Pennsylvania

      Harrisburg:
      Sowing Seeds of Peace: Prayers and Petitions for Nonviolent Action
      Sunday, October 7, 3:00 - 4:00 PM
      Steps of the State Capitol
      By: local Anabaptist Christians
      Contact: (717)213-9638

      This public Christian witness will call for a nonviolent response to the
      terrorist attacks of September 11. Together we will grieve for the victims
      and survivors of the violence of Sept. 11 and pray for the healing of all
      those affected; call on the US government to interrupt the cycle of violence
      and pursue a sustainable peace through diplomatic and humanitarian strategies
      rather than military action; and commit ourselves to prayer and action to
      confront violence and injustice in its many forms.

      Philadelphia:
      Community March for Peace and Forum
      Saturday, October 7
      1:00 PM: March at Broad & Diamond,
      3:00 - 6:00 PM: Forum at the Friends Center, 15th and Cherry
      By: AFSC, Peace Action Delaware Valley, School of the Americas Watch,
      Brandywine Peace Community.
      Contact: (215)843-4493

      **Tennessee

      Memphis:
      Gathering for Peace with Candlelight vigil
      Saturday, October 7, 5:00 - 7:00 PM
      Overton Park Shell
      By: MidSouth Peace and Justice Center

      Gathering for Peace at the Overton Park Shell. Details are being worked out.
      Should include speakers and a candlelight vigil.

      **Virginia

      Charlottesville:
      Anti-War Teach-In: Ethical Dilemmas
      Tuesday, October 9, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
      McLeod Hall Auditorium (Nursing School), University of Virginia
      Contact: (434) 924-3033

      These events are free and open to the general public. For more information,
      see the website: http://faculty.virginia.edu/mesp

      Norfolk:
      Weekly Peace Vigil/War Protest
      Every Tuesdays, 5:00 -6:00 PM
      Corner of St. Pauls Blvd. and City Hall

      Stand with us for PEACE, Protest WAR

      **Washington

      Vancouver:
      Peace Rally
      Saturday, October 7, 1:00 PM
      Clark Community College
      Contact: (360)695-7349

      ****Canada*****

      **Alberta

      Edmonton:
      Weekly Candle Light Vigil for Peace
      Every Tuesdays, 7:00 - 7:30 PM
      City Hall
      By: Radical Edmonton Network

      We ask that all people who are seeking a just, non violent, response to
      the current situation to join us for these short (1/2 hour) vigils. They
      will feature speakers and, when possible, music.

      **Ontario

      Ottawa:
      VIGIL for PEACE! Against NATO Parliamentary Assembly meetings
      Saturday, October 6
      1:00 PM Parliament Hill, Silent Procession: "Silence the Violence"
      2:00 PM Vigil for Nonviolence with Speakers, Music, Discussion Groups &
      Workshops
      First United Church, 397 Kent St.
      By: the Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)
      Web: http://www.flora.org/coat/appeal/

      We will send this message to NATO, our government and the public:
      "We are opposed to war.
      We stand for nonviolence.
      We appeal for an end to anger, hatred and violence."
      For the program, please click here