Middle Eastern looking people are being murdered

  • Tom Louie
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2001
      Commentary
      ===========

      - The Culture of Hate Within Us-
      By James E. Garcia

      MESA, AZ -- A man armed with hate, bigotry and a gun killed Balbir Singh

      Sodhi on Saturday.

      Authorities say Mr. Sodhi apparently was singled out in retaliation for
      last
      week's terrorist attacks against the United States because he was
      believed to
      be Arab or Muslim.

      Mr. Sodhi was not a terrorist. He was not a Muslim. He was not even of
      Arab
      origin. He was from India. And he was Hindu.

      The man arrested and charged with shooting Mr. Sodhi was a Latino named
      Frank
      Silva Roque.

      On the day that Mr. Sodhi was killed, Mr. Roque also shot at a Lebanese
      man
      and an Afghan family who he reportedly blamed for last week's terrorist
      attacks. They escaped unharmed.

      When arrested at his mobile home in Mesa, Ariz., according to a police
      spokesman, Mr. Roque declared, "I'm an American. Arrest me and let those

      terrorists run wild."

      I mention Mr. Roque's ethnic heritage because I believe that as a
      community
      that has faced racial and ethnic discrimination in the United States,
      Latinos
      should be among the first to stand in solidarity with Arab Americans who
      have
      victimized in the wake of the terrorists attacks.

      Read more of this article at <A HREF="http://www.politicomagazine.com">
      http://www.politicomagazine.com</A>