3/15 Canada: Udpate on Immigration Raids and What you can do

  • borderactions
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2013
      3/15 Canada: Udpate on Immigration Raids and What you can do

      Link here: http://noii-van.resist.ca/?p=5478

      As many of you have probably already heard, Canadian Border Service Agency
      officers conducted raids at number of construction work sites yesterday,
      including one raid which was filmed for a border security reality TV show.

      In a show of solidarity and rage, approximately 80 members of the
      community, including families of those detained as well as activists and
      community organizers, attended an emergency rally today.

      An Indigenous woman, Diana Thompson, said of her husband, “He is a great
      person and a great father and spouse and I’m here to help him any way I
      can. I think that the immigration services needs to be more lenient on
      families to keep them together, especially when they have small children.
      I feel frustrated and sad and angry and hurt. Who is this government to
      say who can stay?"

      Other family members spoke about their loss, their fear and their anger
      over this clear violation of privacy, safety and security of those

      One of the men being detained said: "We are not illegals. We are just like

      These workers have families, children and loved ones they are being torn
      apart from. We know that many of these workers are fleeing structural
      violence and poverty, only to be exploited for their labour and forced to
      live a life in hiding and precarity here in Canada. The violence of
      deportation and detention is quickly being masked under the rhetoric of
      illegals and a profit-driven entertainment show. We stand with these
      brothers who have been arrested and detained, as well as their family
      members, to declare that No Worker and No Human Being Is Illegal.

      Much of this news has spread through emails and social media and word of
      mouth, please take a minute to share these links below which include
      in-depth interviews with family members and community organizers:

      * Watch and share CBC Video and story:

      * Read Vancouver Sun article with several in-depth interviews:

      * Ottawa Citizen: Families of migrant workers deplore raids:

      “Border Security: Canada’s Front Line” is a collaboration between National
      Geographic Channel, Vancouver-based Force Four Entertainment for Shaw
      Media. The show is sensationalist, embedded reality TV with CBSA officers.

      Force Four Entertainment released a pathetic statement this afternoon on
      their Facebook account.

      Check it out and please comment:

      Or call or visit them:
      56 East 2nd Avenue 2nd Floor, Vancouver, BC
      t. 604.669.4424
      f. 604.669.4535

      We are trying to confirm the numbers of raids and people detained. This is
      of course hard to confirm.

      Our members received phone calls from three job sites which were raided
      and men in detention are reporting that there are detainees from multiple
      job sites. There appears to be at least 20 or so men detained between the
      cells under the VPL and the cells at the Vancouver Airport.

      Some of these men will have detention review hearings in the new few days,
      but we do not know if they want large numbers of people to attend and we
      want to respect their privacy (particular in this time of heightened
      scrutiny) unless we are explicitly told otherwise.

      We believe most of these men will be deported soon, likely within days.
      Some maybe released but likely have to appear for their deportations.

      We are supporting some family members right now, if you would like to
      support individual family members (particularly financially or otherwise),
      please be in touch with us.

      You have received this email through No One is Illegal-Vancouver

      Email: noii-van@...
      Website: http://noii-van.resist.ca

      Join our low traffic email announcement list:

      NEW! Connect to us through social media:

      No One is Illegal-Vancouver Coast Salish Territories is a grassroots
      anti-colonial migrant justice group with leadership from members of
      migrant and/or racialized backgrounds. We strive and struggle for the
      right to remain, the freedom to move, and the right to return. As a
      movement for self-determination that challenges the ideology of
      immigration controls, we take action to combat racial profiling, detention
      and deportation, the national security apparatus, law enforcement
      brutality, and exploitative working conditions of migrants. The ongoing
      apartheid reality instituted through reserves and sweatshops is one that
      must be fundamentally uprooted and transformed. We envision a humanity
      where everyone has the right to sustenance and the ability to provide it,
      where we are free of oppression, misery, and exploitation, and are able to
      live meaningfully in relationship to one another and in reverence for
      Mother Earth that sustains us.

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      * join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751