2/13: In this One Big World We Must Learn to Live Together (UFPJ)

  • borderactions
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AIpdYwtkEJ5Nt4IeNtwA+PT1CFd3ILUZ

      Power to the PeacefulTonight President Obama will give his annual State of the Union address in an effort to assure the country we are on the right track. Obama’s message will be in contrast to Republicans, who will have two cracks at a response, from Senator Marco Rubio of Florida and Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky representing the reactionary Republicans, the Tea-Party.

      But neither President Obama nor the Republicans will tell the full story about how huge Pentagon and war outlays are choking our economy. With military expenditures consuming 57% of discretionary spending, there is no other area of the budget that deserves more scrutiny and trimming. Yet a thirst to control access to the world’s resources and dominate international relations will not allow clear thinking and stewardship towards what is best for the American people. The U.S. nearly spends more on its military than the rest of the world combined, outpacing number two China by six to one and continues to expand its military presence around the world building dozen of new military and CIA bases in the Middle East and Africa. A foreign policy that causes a nation to borrow huge sums from its rival is flawed by design and destined to fail.

      Sadly, neither President Obama nor the Republicans will talk about the devastating impact U.S. drone warfare has on communities and the families caught in the crossfire of U.S. military operations. Somehow it is lost on the President and so many Republicans that when a child dies from U.S. bombs and bullets overseas it is just as tragic as the loss we suffered in Newtown -– it is American gun violence gone global. It seems to matter little that Pakistanis, Afghans and others facing U.S. military action love their children just as much as we do.

      The answer to our nation’s problems will not be adequately addressed by either party because war making is central to their vision of the future. They cannot or choose not to see that war is a manifestation of hate and hate cannot be defeated by more hate. With humanity facing unprecedented challenges it is time the global community work together. Climate change, nuclear proliferation (highlighted today by North Korea's bomb test), poverty and war will overwhelm us if we do not take a global stand against them.

      If you have not already done so, click here to sign the Jobs Not Wars Petition. Tomorrow, February 13, call your Representative and Senator to push them to fund initiatives that create jobs, to end U.S. policy of endless wars and to cut Pentagon spending. UFPJ, USLAW and other organizations promoting the petition will be in Washington, DC tomorrow to present the signatures thus far to Congressional leaders. Do not let up! We must force the President and Congress to move our nation from war to peace, from aggression to diplomacy.

      Support UFPJ in our efforts to build a global peace and justice movement.

      On February 15, 2003 the world said No to War and Yes to Peace in the largest global demonstration in world history. New York Times writer Patrick Tyler wrote, “…the huge anti-war demonstrations around the world this weekend are reminders that there may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world public opinion.” Today through Twitter, Facebook and other means average people around the world are more connected than ever before. We have the means at our disposal to force our government through world public pressure to do what is good and just for all of us. We have the tools and knowledge to connect the global 99%.

      The answers to the world’s challenges are not clear, but it begins with the sentiment Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is trying to communicate in these words, “We have inherited a big house, a great ‘world house’ in which we have to live together – black and white, Easterners and Westerners, Gentiles and Jews, Catholics and Protestants, Moslem and Hindu, a family unduly separated in ideas, culture, and interests who, because we can never again live without each other, must learn, somehow, in this one big world, to live with each other.”

      Michael McPhearsonWe can do it, we must do it and we will do it.

      Power to the peaceful.

      Please visit our February 15th 2003 Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Power-to-the-Peaceful-Feb-15th-2003/416831458394929?ref=hl for images and comments about that powerful day. Join in to talk about the day and the future of global peace.

      -- Michael T. McPhearson
          National Coordinator

      United for Peace & Justice
      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8thKTzaUlTkJqPXMpaUN8PT1CFd3ILUZhttp://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8thKTzaUlTkJqPXMpaUN8PT1CFd3ILUZ

      Click Here to Donate!

      Donations to United for Peace and Justice are tax exempt to the extent permitted by law. The Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) is UFPJ's 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor.  If you would like to make a donation by check, please make it payable to "FOR" and write "UFPJ" in the memo line.  Mail to: P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, New York, NY 10108.

      National Immigrant Solidarity network and Action LA Network are the PROUD coordinating committee member of UFPJ endorse this call!

      Lee Siu Hin

      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Action LA Network http://www.ActionLA.org