2/17-19 El Paso/Ciudad Juarez border: SOA WATCH VIGIL AT THE BORDER!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2012

                          Watch News & Updates
      JOIN SOAW Founder Fr. Roy Bourgeois at the

      Co-sponsored by Project Puente
      February 17-19, 2012

      Join Fr. Roy Bourgeois and immigration activists from around the country at a weekend vigil at the El Paso/Ciudad Juarez border. Events include a march for immigrant rights, a conference on immigration and a vigil at the border fence to honor the victims of repressive immigration policies.

      For 60 years numerous graduates of the School of the Americas have returned to their countries to torture, disappear, and massacre fellow citizens in efforts to impose economic policies that benefit US corporations. As a result: tens of thousands of Latin Americans lost their lives, and even greater numbers lived in fear of such repression. Many had no option but to flee their homeland in search of safety and survival. This situation was compounded by the implementation of NAFTA in the 1990’s, forcing millions of migrants and refugees to cross the border, looking to escape the ravages of savage capitalism.

      But today, as these same voracious economic policies are being rejected by many nations south of our border, they have turned around to devour the people of our own nation. As U.S. citizens lose homes and jobs, a scapegoat must be found. Not surprisingly, it is found in the immigrants, those who were pushed away from their homeland by the same economic and military system of domination. The result is an increasing militarization of the border between the United States and Mexico, the world's longest contiguous international divide between a superpower and a developing nation. Today there are more than 20,000 Border patrol agents patrolling the 2,000 mile long border with Mexico.

      In his State of the Union address, President Obama said he had sent more “boots to the border” than any other administration. Record numbers of immigrants are being deported, tearing tens of thousands of families apart, leaving children without parents, sending promising students back to a home they never knew. We may actually come to lament the success of these efforts, recent studies show more Mexicans are returning to their country than coming here, opening up an economic void.

      Just as the School of the Americas is a concrete expression of the injustice of our nation towards Latin America, so is the border today. And, just as we gather every November at the fence of the SOA to say “no mas, no more”, we will be gathering at the border to say no mas no more to immigration policies that use military muscle to criminalize the very people who have kept the wheels of our economic motor running for decades.

      Schedule of events:

      Friday, February 17: gym of Sacred Heart Parish, located in the historic Segundo Barrio, downtown El Paso. 602 S. Oregon St. (the gym is actually around the corner at 231 Father Rahm S
      5 pm Registration
      6 pm welcome, opening
      7 pm music and snacks

      Saturday, February 18 10 a.m. Gather at Mercado Mayapan at 2102 Myrtle Street to join the march of the Border Network for Human Rights
      11 a.m.-6 p.m. Conference on Immigration, Sacred Heart Parish
      7 p.m. Social event

      Sunday, February 19
      9 a.m. Gather at Sunland Park-Anapra fence
      10 a.m. Border vigil

      A donation of $20 is greatly appreciated to help defray costs of materials, venue and snacks.

      Feel free to contact Lisa Sullivan LSullivan@... for questions, or to pre-register

      No mas, no more immigration policies of militarization and criminalization!

      Nico Udu-gama
      School of the Americas Watch
      p: 202-234-3440
      f:  202-636-4505

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      * join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751