UFPJ Member Group Meeting "Occupy Peace Summit" Feb 24-27th in Philadelphia, PA!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2012

      Save the Date: UFPJ Member Group Meeting "Occupy Peace Summit" Feb 24-27th in Philadelphia, PA

      We are writing to invite your organization to participate in Occupy Peace, a weekend of planning, sharing and training, February 24-27 in Philadelphia, PA.  It has been a little over three years since United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) had a national strategy meeting.  The financial crisis that hit this country hit UFPJ too, and we have worked hard to maintain this important network and respond to the tremendous political changes taking place.

      An international financial crisis, a right wing response and a global popular uprising have ushered in a new popular politic.  The Arab Spring, Wisconsin Wave and the Occupy Movement have created new openings and strategies.  Now, U.S. troops have finally left Iraq  and the bloated military budget is at last on the table

      But our work is not done. Military operations in Iraq have been replaced by a corporate occupation. The President signed the 2012National Defense Authorization Act, which sanctions indefinite detention of suspected enemies of the state and brings our nation one step closer to legally disappearing its own citizens. US military actions continue around the globe, and new nuclear weapons systems are on the drawing board. Millions of people are still facing foreclosure, homelessness, and unemployment; student debt is rising and climate justice has not been won.  In the new political climate we look forward to an exciting decade and a very important year for organizing to turn these things around!

      UFPJ is committed, as ever, to building a strong network to take action for justice and peace. There are key events ahead this year – Global Days of Action Against Militarism in April,  May 1 Protests and Strikes, the G8 and NATO Summits in Chicago in May, the political conventions this summer, and a movement to occupy everywhere that is a growing powerful force for cultural change!

      We encourage your group to be a part of this exciting conversation and planning process for 2012. Mark your calendar now and start planning to send a delegation of 2-3 people to Philadelphia -- more information to come about housing and other logistics.  We are asking for a donation of $50 per person to cover food and materials.

      Occupy Peace Strategy Summit

      ·       Fri. Feb 24: Registration and a meet and greet at ARCH Church

      ·       Sat. Feb 25: Working Sessions begin at 9:30 on,  AFSC Center  (NEED specific name and address)

      ·       Sun. Feb 26: Working Session begin at 9:30 – 4:00, AFSC Center

      ·       Sun evening/ Mon Morning: Training Sessions TBD

      For more information contact:  Michael McPhearson at: michael@...

      Or email:  OccupyPeaceSummit@...

      National Immigrant Solidarity Network, Peace NO War Network and Action LA Network are the PROUD Member and Coordinating Committee of UFPJ encourages you to come to attend this important activist meeting of the year!

      Lee Siu Hin

      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Action LA Network http://www.ActionLA.org
      Peace NO War Network http://www.PeaceNOWar.net
      Activist Video Service http://www.ActivistVideo.org

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      * join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751