Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Latino Voter Suppression Army

  • Steven Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2010
       Con la Vista al Voto : Sheriff Joe’s Latino Voter Suppression Army

      By Maegan La Mala, Vivir Latino

      October 31, 2010

      As if things in Arizona, especially in Maricopa County, weren’t hard enough for Latinos, Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced on Friday:

      “STOP ILLEGALS FROM STEALING THE ELECTION! Our grassroots army of VOTER FRAUD PREVENTION VOLUNTEERS will stand vigilant across the nation. We will be the first and strongest line of defense to ensure that only legal citizens vote on November 2nd.”

      We already know that Sheriff Joe decides who is and isn’t legal by looking at who looks Latino. And while the part of SB1070 that allows for asking for people’s papers based on their ethnicity, alleging voter fraud is just an attempt to make Latinos walk around with their “papers” and to intimidate people who may be voting against Jan Brewer.

      Almost immediately after Arpaio’s shout out, America’s Voice launched a petition targeting Attorney General Holder, demanding that he send election monitors to Arizona.

      On Friday afternoon, the Justice Department announced that its Civil Rights Division plans to deploy more than 400 federal observers and department personnel to 30 jurisdictions in 18 states for the Nov. 2, 2010, general election. One of those jurisdictions is Maricopa County in Arizona.

      The other areas being monitored are:

      o Autauga County, Ala.;
      o Bethel, Alaska;
      o Apache and Navajo Counties, Ariz.;
      o Riverside County, Calif.;
      o Randolph County, Ga.;
      o Kane County, Ill.;
      o Salem County (Penns Grove), N.J.;
      o Cibola and Sandoval Counties, N.M.;
      o Cuyahoga County, Ohio;
      o Shannon County; S.D.; and
      o Dallas, Fort Bend, Galveston and Williamson Counties, Texas.
      o Maricopa County, Ariz.;
      o Alameda County, Calif.;
      o Seminole County, Fla.;
      o Honolulu, Hawaii;