English Only as Support for Arizona's SB1070

  • Steven Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2010
      English Only as Support for Arizona’s SB1070

      By Maegan La Mala Vivirlatino

      July 17, 2010

      While some cities and states are writing copycat laws to show their support for Arizona’s SB1070, which goes into effect in less than two weeks, some towns are using English first/English only legislation to promote anti-immigrant nativism.

      The bustling township of Homer, Illinois, population 30,000, with 12 percent Latinos, passed a resolution last week making English it’s official language. They have never had an issue with immigration and all of the town’s official documents have always been printed in one language, English. The resolution was passed without opposition as a way to show support for Arizona’s SB1070 and like laws.

      “We recognize Native Americans had the first language in our Country, followed by Western European dialects, with English eventually becoming dominant,” the resolution reads in part. “The Homer Township Board supports actions to enforce existing Immigration law, enforce residency requirements in our school districts, and acknowledge that English the dominant language of Homer Township.”

      http://vivirlatino.com/2010/07/17/english-only-as-support-for-arizonas-sb1070.php