There is Nothing Silent, Kinder or Gentler About Obama's Workplace Raids

  • Steven Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 10:30 PM
      There is Nothing Silent, Kinder or Gentler About Workplace Raids

      By Maegan La Mala
      vivirlatino
      July 11.2010

      I saw this New York Times article being passed around via various social
      networks. The article talks about a "new" immigration enforcement strategy
      being used by the Obama administration: the so-called "silent raid".

      Silent because the mainstream media generally doesn't trouble itself with
      following up with the undocumented workers who, yes, may be allowed to stay
      in the country, but are left without work in an already troubled economy.
      The premise that the media and the Obama administration is trying to sell,
      is that it's enforcement is kinder and gentler also doesn't line up with the
      statistics coming from the Federal Government. From the article by Julia
      Preston:

      "Instead of hundreds of agents going after one company, now one agent can go
      after hundreds of companies," said Mark K. Reed, president of Border
      Management Strategies, a consulting firm in Tucson that advises companies
      across the country on immigration law. "And there is no drama, no trauma, no
      families being torn apart, no handcuffs."

      No amount of PR massaging, however, can mask the stats which show that the
      Obama administration has detained and deported more immigrants than his
      Republican predecessor.

      Because undocumented and unemployed immigrants do not get counted in the
      unemployment stats, that impact never gets properly measured. It comes to us
      anecdotally via one off stories of the homeless undocumented. For those of
      us living in immigrant communities, we see more of our vecinos sleeping in
      the parks and in subway stations.

      While less dramatic, this enforcement policy is something that nationalist,
      white supremacist, and anti-migrant organizations have been talking about
      for years. Attrition through enforcement, meaning making conditions so
      difficult for immigrants that they will want to leave.

      This must be what Obama meant when he recommitted himself to immigration
      reform.

      http://vivirlatino.com/2010/07/11/there-is-nothing-silent-kinder-or-gentler-about-workplace-raids.php#more-17294