immigrant rights movement moves to a new level of militancy and some criticisms

  • A Beltran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2010

      ----- Forwarded Message ----

      Subject: immigrant rights movement moves to a new level of militancy and some criticisms

      http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/wilson090610.html

      http://immigrantaction.blogspot.com/

      Three Protests and What They May Mean for Immigrant Rights

      by David L. Wilson

      The immigrant rights movement is moving to a new level of militancy, at least to judge by events in New York City the first week of June.

      ...A striking feature of the protests was the participation of mainstream politicians and the focus on relatively centrist legislation...

      ...But if the strikers' legislative demands were "moderate" -- some activists criticize the DREAM Act because of provisions in the bill about military service -- ...

      ==================================

      ====================

      Sunday, May 23, 2010

      The DREAM Act and its Military Option

      Statement on the DREAM Act

      by Association of Raza Educators Los Angeles, California

      The Association of Raza Educators fully supports the educational component of the DREAM Act. We support higher education for all students, both documented and undocumented. However, as Raza Educators, who work with undocumented students on a daily basis; we denounce the military component of the DREAM Act. We feel compelled to educate our students and communities about the military component of the DREAM Act. Unfortunately, this deadly component is strategically excluded from the debate by many Democrats and organizations who support the DREAM Act.

      As educators, we know that public education continues to fail to graduate more than half of our youth due to the structural, institutional, and social barriers. These barriers include underfunding, overcrowding, and racially segregated schooling that many Latinos must overcome. As a result of these conditions, of the few that do graduate, only a select few continue on to higher education. This means that the majority of Latino youth, most of which have been tracked out of the college system, will see military [enlistment] as the only viable option[.]

      In essence, the Dream Act will create a de facto military draft for our undocumented youth. We say de facto because although students are given a "choice," the fact is that the deplorable and inadequate conditions of Latino schooling will make military enlistment the only "choice" for our undocumented youth.

      As educators, we also know that in predominantly Latino high schools, military recruiters outnumber college representatives five to one. We have also seen first hand the misleading tactics military recruiters use to trick Latino youth to enlist. If the DREAM Act passes, military recruiters will further mislead and seduce our youth with false promises of instant legalization and a well paying job. They will completely militarize our youth and our schools.

      With this reality, we pose the question; where will those students end up? Dead on the battlefield in Iraq or Afghanistan? Will they join the 6,000 troops that are currently occupying the U.S./ Mexico border?

      If the US continues to invade other countries, will our youth be forced to kill other poor people in places like Venezuela, Iran and Cuba? Who will console the grieving mothers of our children who die in Iraq or who will return to their homes completely disfigured?  The Dream Act will become the nightmare for the mothers and fathers of children who died in Iraq in search of a "Green Card." These Latino youth and our communities will become victims of the DREAM Act.

      We believe that our students and our communities as a whole deserve full and immediate legalization without having to serve in the military. As long as the DREAM Act includes a military component, A.R.E. will continue to oppose it.

      The Association of Raza Educators does not come here to antagonize or minimize the efforts of those who advocate for the Dream Act on behalf of undocumented students. We are here to challenge all organizations that support the DREAM Act to join us in the struggle for the legalization of all students and our entire community by supporting a stronger and more just bill that doesn't force any of our youth to join the U.S. military. We are all brothers and sisters in this struggle, but we must never negotiate the future of our youth in exchange for the legalization of a few of our students.

      Please consider the following points:

      Military Statistics:

      There are currently 750,000 undocumented residents of military age
      Thereare 35,000 Non-citizen legal residents in the U.S. Military
      280,000 immigrants between the ages of 18-24 would qualify for the DREAM Act.
      8,000join the military each year as part of an accelerated path to citizenship (most legal residents already)
      4,000 immigrants in uniform became citizens in 2005, compared to 750 in 2001

      Education Statistics:

      2006-2007 Public School Student Population in California: 2.8 million
      Estimated Undocumented Student Population in California: 408,000
      Numberof undocumented students graduating each year: 65,000
      Only 1 out of 20 undocumented high school seniors attends college

      We have been working for the betterment of our communities long before the DREAM Act and we will continue to do so if it passes or hopefully, after it fails. We propose that all persons and organizations who have been actively supporting the DREAM Act join forces and continue to push for a DREAM Act without military provisions. When we remove the military provision, A.R.E. will work with you in this struggle. The DREAM Act's education component is a wonderful dream that we share with you.

      Published in In Motion Magazine August 22, 2007

      bh

      May 23, 2010 | Permalink| TrackBack(0)

      ================================

      [dated]

      On the DREAM Act By Fernando Suárez Del Solar

      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

      Onthe DREAM Act:

      An Open Letter to Latino and Latina students and all leaders of
      immigrant rights organizations

      By Fernando Suárez Del Solar

      In the wake of the failed immigration reform, passionate discussions
      have arisen among various organizations both for and against the DREAM
      Act.

      It give me great joy to see students taking non-violent action to find
      a solution to the immigration question. Many of them came to the
      United States as children and have finished their high school
      education. Now, because they lack legal documents, they face an
      uncertain future that may deny them the opportunity to attend college
      or find a decent job. The DREAM Act offers them a light at the end of
      an otherwise dark and uncertain road.

      I see students on fasts, in marches, lobbying elected officials, all
      in the name of the DREAM Act's passage. But BEWARE. Be very careful.
      Because our honorable youth with their dreams and wishes to serve
      their new country are being tricked and manipulated in an immoral and
      criminal way.

      Whydo I say this? Simply put, the DREAM Act proposes two years of
      collegeas a pathway to permanent residency but it also includes a
      second option linked to the so-called war on terror-"two years of
      military service." Our young people may not see that this is a covert
      draft in which thousands of youth from Latino families will be sent to
      Iraq or some other war torn nation where they will have to surrender
      their moral values and become a war criminal or perhaps return home in
      blackbags on their way to a tomb drenched with their parents' tears.

      Howmany of our youth can afford college? How many will be able to
      take the educational option? Unfortunately very few because the
      existing system locks out the children of working families with high
      tuition and inflated admissions criteria. Most will be forced to take
      the military option to get their green card. But what good is a green
      card to a dead person? What good is a green card to a young person
      severely wounded in mind and body?

      I ask our undocumented youth to read the following passages regarding
      the plans of the Pentagon and the Bush administration:

      In his testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee on July
      10, 2006, Under Secretary of Defense David Chu said: "According to an
      April 2006 study from the National Immigration Law Center, there are
      an estimated 50,000 to 65,000 undocumented alien young adults who
      entered the U.S. at an early age and graduate from high school each
      year, many of whom are bright, energetic and potentially interested in
      military service...Provision s of S. 2611, such as the DREAM Act, would
      provide these young people the opportunity of serving the United
      States in uniform."

      More recently, Lt. Col. Margaret Stock of the U.S. Army Reserve and a
      facultymember at West Point told a reporter that the DREAM Act could
      help recruiters meet their goals by providing a "highly qualified
      cohort of young people" without the unknown personal details that
      would accompany foreign recruits. "They are already going to come
      vetted by Homeland Security. They will already have graduated from
      high school," she said. "They are prime candidates."

      (Citations from research by Prof. Jorge Mariscal, UC San Diego)

      As you can see, our undocumented youth are being targeted by military
      recruiters. And equally important is something that few people have
      mentioned-there is no such thing as a two year military contract.
      Every enlistment is a total of eight years.

      Given these facts, I invite all young people who are filled with hope
      and dreams and energy to fight for human rights and for a fair pathway
      to legalization. But they must also demand that the military option
      of the DREAM Act be replaced by a community service option (as
      appeared in earlier drafts of the legislation) so that community
      service or college become the two pathways to permanent residency.
      Only then will they avoid becoming victimized by a criminal war as my
      son Jesús Alberto did when he died on March 27, 2003 after stepping on
      an illegal U.S. cluster bomb. Through education or community service
      our undocumented youth can contribute to their communities and their
      futurewill be filled with peace and justice.

      Fernando Suarez del Solar

      ===================== ========= ========= ========= =====

      [ ed. this is about a couple years old or so]

      Should We Support the Dream Act?
      Marti Hiken

      There are currently 750,000 undocumented residents of military age.
      There are 35,000 non-citizens in the U.S. military.
      280,000 immigrants between the ages of 18-24 years would qualify for
      the Dream Act.
      8,000 join the military each year to take advantage of an accelerated
      path to
      citizenship.
      4,000immigrants in uniform became citizens in 2005, compared to 750
      in 2001.

      ------------ --------- --

       As a policy, the NLG Military Law Task Force (MLTF) does not
       support coercive measures whether it be through military bonuses,
       educational programs, career opportunities, non-incarceration (jail
       or the military), citizenship, or citizenship speed-ups, etc., that
       induce enlistment, re-enlistment, or continued service in the armed
       forces of the United States.

      There are several reasons for this:

       1) Members of the Armed Forces are currently under Stop Loss,
       which means that they are indentured servants, serve at the whim of
       the President of the United States, and can be forced to remain the
       rest of their lives under military control. If soldiers think they
       will be eligible to walk away from the military after two years,
       they are wrong. (Current military contracts run for eight years,
       but can be extended far beyond that.)

       2)Maintaining "Good Moral Character," especially in the military,
       translatesinto the possible need to repress, torture, and imprison
       -- all for the purpose of guaranteeing that the rich can trod on
       the poor and wage wars without any fear of retribution and/or
       control by any other peoples of the world.

       In this matter, it is not the people who will decide good moral
       character,it is both the Departments of Homeland Security and
       Defense.

       3)Refusing to serve "honorably" in the U.S. military results in
       servicemembers going AWOL or UA. In past wars, resistance to the
       U.S. military has meant fraggings, turning the guns around, and a
       heavy level of anti-war activity, which the government would not
       translate as "good moral character." The purpose of the MLTF is to
       defend the rights of service members to resist illegal wars,
       immoral laws, torture, etc. The Dream Bill will further erode the
       rights of those resisting brutal wars and play into the
       government's desire to have the necessary troops available for its
       imperialistic wars. The Dream Bill will lead to one segment of the
       movement sacrificing the other for an easier and quicker citizenship.

       The Dream Act's primary purpose is to make a pool of those seeking
       citizenship into a pool of tens of thousands of recruitable
       soldiers doing the bidding of the U.S. government. It is, in fact,
       an easier way to recruit than hiring foreign and American civilian
       private mercenaries. As the recruits go down in the U.S., however,
       don't also expect the recruitment of those in El Salvador, Chile,
       Philippines, and wherever else to go down.

       Thecurrent draft is an economic one: it is a poverty draft. The
       Dream Act makes it all a little easier for the Department of
       Defense to find the cannon fodder to eat up. The soldiers will
       continue to come from the ranks of the poor.

       ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
       For more information on the Act, google the following:
      http://nilc. org/immlawpolicy /DREAM/index. htm

       From the DREAM ACT:

       During the 6-year period, the student would be required to
       graduate from a 2-year college, complete at least 2 years towards a
       4-year degree, or serve in the U.S. military for at least 2 years.
       Permanent residence would be granted at the end of the 6-year
       period if the student has met these requirements and has continued
       to maintain good moral character.

       2. Served in the U.S. armed forces for at least 2 years.

       The 6-year time period for meeting these requirements would be
       extendable upon a showing of good cause, and the Dept. of Homeland
       Security would be empowered to waive the requirements altogether if
       compelling reasons such as disability prevent their completion and
       if removal of the student would result in exceptional and extremely
       unusual hardship to the student, or to the student's spouse, parent
       or child.

      (
      www.nlgmltf.org or www.militarylawtaskforce.org)

      ###