6/5: Some updates from United for Peace & Justice (UFPJ)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2010
      Some updates from United for Peace & Justice (UFPJ)

      Date: 6/5/2010 6:33:36 A.M. China Standard Time
      From:
      fithianl@...

      *National Immigrant Solidarity Network (NISN)/Peace NO War Network/Action LA Network is the proud member and NISN is the leadership of UFPJ.

      We  wanted to give you all a quick update on the happenings at UFPJ these days.   We are now serving as co-conveners and are working with the coordinating group weekly.   We share  political updates, get reports from working groups, deal with financial issues, check in on movement developments/work and  the network development process .  We also schedule email alerts and other communications and internal work.

      This is the nuts and bolts work needed to insure we can continue to be effective in ending war and occupation, challenging empire and responding to crises like the Gaza Freedom Flotilla.

      We hope that we can all be in greater communication through this list serve,  Please share exciting /effective things you are working on.  Our creativity is vital  for long haul organizing and over time we hope this can be a vibrant place to grow our movement.

      Here is some of what is going on….

      ·         Coordinating Committee is currently made up of Michael McPhearson, Veterans For Peace, Lisa Fithian, Alliance of Community Trainers, Jackie Cabasso, Western States Legal Foundation , representing the Nuclear Abolition working group, Cole Harrison, United for Justice with Peace, (Boston) representing the Afghanistan working group, Lee Siu Hin National Immigrant Solidarity Network, representing the Internet Committee, Gael Murphy, CodePink, Rusti Eisenberg,  Brooklyn for Peace , both representing the Legislative working group,  Siri Margerin, Bay Area United for Peace and Justice and Terry Rockefeller, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, Finance Committee.

      ·         Afghanistan Working Group –Cole Harrison and Janet Weil, co-conveners. The working group meets bi-weekly, has produced educational materials, updated the website, is organizing a workshop on Afghanistan at the US Social Forum, helps organize monthly Brown Bag Lunch Vigils at congressional offices, and hosts a lively discussion about strategy.  The working group just held a great call on Afghanistan with David Wildman.

      ·         Nuclear Disarmament/Redefining Security – Jackie Cabasso. We spent a full year organizing and mobilizing with international partners for a major conference, rally, march and peace festival in connection with the recently concluded month-long Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference in New York City.  The NPT Conference did not produce the breakthrough we were hoping for and we will forge ahead as part of a growing and intensifying international campaign working for a treaty to abolish nuclear weapons. This August will mark the 65th anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Despite his soaring rhetoric, President Obama has recently requested “well over” $180 Billion over the next ten years to maintain and modernize nuclear warheads and their delivery systems, including new bomb factories in New Mexico, Tennessee and Missouri. The administration is also promoting a “renaissance” in nuclear energy including new uranium mining on Navajo land.  Nuclear weapons remain at the heart of U.S. militarism. We believe that nuclear disarmament should serve as the leading edge of a global trend towards demilitarization and redirection of resources to meet human needs and protect the environment.  Please join us!

      ·         Legislative – Gael Murphy and Rusti Eisenberg  are co-conveners. This group tracks legislative developments with regard to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the overall military budget. Our primary effort has been to organize against the various war-funding bills, which the White House has presented to the Congress. We provide information and proposals for coordinated actions to grass-roots groups across the country and serve as liaisons with DC policy groups on peace issues.

      ·         Military Spending – Siri.  There are a number of member groups working to develop campaigns to fund jobs and human needs by cutting the military budget.  The Peace Economy Project has been hosting regular strategy calls and a number of groups are collaborating on a workshop at the US Social Forum.   We like the idea of collaborating on a grassroots campaign that can rebuild a base, expand lists and put pressure on policy makers to shift our economy to jobs and justice not war.

      ·         Internet Committee – Siu Hin.  We are slowly trying to make the website more accessible and dynamic.  Without much money to commit to this, it will take time to make the changes we would like.  If you have skills to volunteer, we’d love to talk with you more.

      ·         Solidarity Work and Building Alliances – Cole,  Lisa, Michael and others continue to reach out to and build relationships with the labor, environment and immigrant rights communities.  We are exploring/pursuing collaborations or solidarity actions as they come up.   UFPJ will also continue to educate and take action to prevent or respond to crises as they happen--whether it be the global gathering for climate justice in Bolivia, the racist law in Arizona or the deadly attack against the Gaza Freedom Flotilla.   UFPJ wants to keep our network informed and connected.

      We look forward to working with you more.  Will you be at the USSF?  In addition to the Peace Tent, the daily festive march and the Afghanistan Workshop we are also organizing  workshop for UFPJ member groups to come together  to deepen our plan of action for the next year.  We are also part of a collaboration of groups putting on a workshop looking at a grassroots campaign around funding jobs through cutting the military budget.  More to come!   Hope you can make it!

      For peace with justice,

      Michael McPherson and Lisa Fithian
      UFPJ Conveners

      Peace NO War Network http://www.PeaceNOWar.net

      War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate
      Not in our Name! And another world is possible!

      Information for antiwar movements, news across the World, please visit: http://www.PeaceNoWar.net

      e-mail: Info@...

      Tel: (213)403-0131

      Please Join PeaceNoWar Listserv, send e-mail to: peacenowar-subscribe@...

      Please Donate to Peace No War Network!
      Send check pay to:

      ActionLA/AFGJ

      ActionLA
      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

      The web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
      Please visit: http://www.ActivistDesign.net

      Toll-Free: (888)635-3307

      *To Translate this page to Arabic, please visit ajeeb.com:http://tarjim.ajeeb.com/ajeeb/default.asp?lang=1

      *To Translate this page to French, Spanish, German, Italian or Portuguese, please visit Systran:http://www.systransoft.com/