Obama speaks out again against Arizona’s ne w immigration law

  • A Beltran
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2010

      ----- Forwarded Message ----

      Subject: Obama speaks out again against Arizona’s new immigration law

      An 'answer' on immigration

      Obama: Start work 'this year'

      By MATT NEGRIN | 05/06/10 10:50 AM

      President Obama said Wednesday he wants to start working on immigration legislation “this year” and that he wants “Democrats and Republicans to work with me.”

      “The way to fix our broken immigration system is through comprehensive, common sense immigration reform,” he said at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House. He mentioned the need to “secure our borders” and hold businesses accountable for exploiting illegal immigrants, while also mandating that undocumented people admit they broke the law, pay a penalty and taxes and learn English.

      Obama spoke out again against Arizona’s new immigration law, saying it isn’t the “answer” and doesn’t represent “who we are as the United States of America.”

      “We can’t start singling out people because of who they look like or how they talk and how they dress,” he said. “We can’t divide the American people that way.”

      [go to link below for video]

      http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0510/finding_an_answer_6407f392-68bf-4780-a57c-98e6c9fe991d.html

      © 2010 Capitol News Company LLC