2/10 SIGN THE PETITION: Giumarra Vineyards sued by EEOC for Sexual Harassment!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2010

      Please join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to: isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      Please donate to Immigrant Solidarity Network! Visit: http://www.actionla.org/Donation.htm

      Upload your activism video at our Activist Video Service! http://www.ActivistVideo.org

      http://action.ufw.org/page/m/3bed9d3e/14572c9f/467497d5/2b46b749/1197303338/VEsH/
      http://action.ufw.org/page/m/3bed9d3e/14572c9f/467497d5/2b46b756/1197303338/VEsE/

      http://action.ufw.org/eeoc

      SIGN THE PETITION: Giumarra Vineyards sued by EEOC for Sexual Harassment & Retaliation

      We need your help. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has just filed suit against Giumarra Vineyards for allegedly violating federal law by sexually harassing a teenage female farm worker and retaliating against farm workers who came to her aid.

      You most probably remember Giumarra, and their Nature's Partner label, from the e-mails we sent you last summer. We told you about their outrageous behavior and despicable actions against workers--many of whom are organizing for a union contract. Giumarra Vineyards, the world's largest table grape company, harvests approximately 1 out of every 10 bunches of grapes picked in the US. Because the company is so huge, their behavior helps set the industry standard.

      The EEOC case is consistent with the company's behavior, as Giumarra has a long history of intimidating workers and violating their rights. According to the EEOC's suit (EEOC v. Giumarra Vineyards Corporation, et al, Case No. 1:09-cv-02255), the young woman "was subjected to sexual advances, sexually inappropriate touching and abusive and offensive sexual comments about the male sex organ by a male co-worker." The EEOC further alleged that after witnessing the sexual harassment, farm workers came to the aid of the teenage victim and complained to Giumarra Vineyards.

      The result? One day after reporting the incident, the victim and people who helped her were fired. The EEOC suit states they "were summarily discharged in retaliation for their opposition to the sexual harassment." (More details in the EEOC's press release.)

      What happened to this vulnerable young girl and the others who simply came to her defense was reprehensible and illegal.

      We have begun an online petition.  On February 15, UFW co-founder Dolores Huerta will head a delegation of women leaders to hand it in to Giumarra/Nature's Partner and attempt to meet with the company. Please sign the petition today--and send it to as many friends as possible. Give Giumarra a strong message that you will not tolerate this behavior.

      http://action.ufw.org/eeoc

      Take Action at: http://action.ufw.org/eeoc

      Can you do one more thing?

      To really drive the message home to Giumarra/Nature's Partner, we want to ask you to take one more step.

      Can you please take 1 minute and post a comment directly on Nature's Partner's website?

      It's easy to do. Just click on the link above and post a message like the below example. (If you can put it into your own words that would be even better.):

      I am astonished and dismayed at Giumarra's disregard of the law. This is not medieval times. In the 21st century workers have the right to speak up to protect themselves and others. Giumarra is not above the law. It is astonishing that the EEOC was forced to file suit against Giumarra Vineyards for violating federal law by sexually harassing a teenage farm worker and retaliating against  workers who came to her aid.

      As the world's largest table grape company, your behavior helps set the industry standard. You should be ashamed of the example you are setting both in this case with the sexual harassment and retaliation and with your dismal history of worker protection. This behavior reflects negatively on your company and your Nature's Partner label.

      Stop the sexual harassment and retaliation for field workers who speak up or support the UFW. Your consumers are watching.

      This extra step can do a lot to make sure Giumarra and it's Nature's Partner label are aware that their customers are watching them.

      Thank you!

      Go to: http://action.ufw.org/np

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! Listserv, go to webpage https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest

      **Please join our following listservs:

      Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
      send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la

      New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts
      send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert

      US-Mexico Border Information/Alert!
      send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Virginia state-wide immigrant organizing e-mail list, send- e-mail to: va-immigrantrights-subscribe@... or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights

      Chicago/Midwest/Great Lake Region Immigrant List, please send e-mail to: chicago-immigrantrights@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights

      Immigrant Detention & Deportation Alert!
      visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-immigrantdetention

      send e-mail to: isn-immigrantdetention-subscribe@...