Carlos Alberto Torres/Avelino/March Women's Event

  • ProLibertad Campaign
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2010

      Parole Campaign for Carlos Alberto Torres

      We have 906; we need 94 more to make our goal! SIGN THIS PETITION AND FORWARD IT OUT TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY! CARLOS ALBERTO TORRES NEEDS OUR SUPPORT!

      Puerto Rican Political Prisoner Carlos Alberto Torres: Parole Hearing

      On January 19, 2010, Carlos Alberto Torres attended a video hearing presided over by a U.S. Parole Commission hearing examiner whose task was to consider the disciplinary charges stemming from last January, and to make a recommendation for what should happen with respect to his request to be released on parole. Carlos Alberto answered the questions posed, and his attorney Jan Susler asked that the Parole Commission release him on parole as previously recommended, regardless of the wrongful charges. She pointed out the vast, ongoing support for his release, and argued that there is absolutely no risk in releasing him, as evidenced by the impressive example of his compatriots who were released by presidential commutation in 1999. The hearing examiner then made a favorable recommendation. The Parole Commission will make the final decision, hopefully within the next 30 days.

      The ProLibertad Freedom Campaign is launching a 30 day online petition campaign! We want 1000 people to sign our petition within the next 30 days showing their support for Carlos Alberto Torres.

      At the end of the thirty days the petition will be mailed to the Parole Commissioner.

      Sign this petition and forward it out to everyone you know!

      http://www.petition spot.com/ petitions/ Parole4CarlosAlb erto/

       Man Pleads Guilty In 1983 Wells Fargo Robbery

      By EDMUND H. MAHONY
      The Hartford Courant
      4:34 PM EST, February 5, 2010
      HARTFORD

      A key figure in the $7.1 million Wells Fargo robbery in West Hartford nearly three decades ago abruptly pleaded guilty in federal court Friday to charges that include smuggling the money out of the country.

      Avelino Gonzalez-Claudio, 67, was a leader and strategist of Los Macheteros, a militant, Puerto Rico pro-independence group. In the 1970s and '80s, the group claimed responsibility for armed attacks on federal interests in Puerto Rico, two of which caused the deaths of U.S. military personnel.

      Gonzalez-Claudio pleaded guilty Friday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Hartford to conspiracy to commit robbery and transportation of stolen money out of the country. Under terms of his plea agreement, he would be sentenced to 7 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000. Sentencing is scheduled for later this year.

      He has been in prison in Connecticut since the FBI arrested him in 2008 in Puerto Rico as he drove through the northern coastal city of Manati. While in prison, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, and correctional authorities refused to provide him with medication until last month, said his lawyer, James Bergenn. In court, Gonzalez-Claudio appeared gaunt and emaciated, and the disease had taken such hold that he was barely able to speak.

      Documents seized by the FBI showed that Macheteros planned to use the stolen millions to finance the violent overthrow of the U.S. government in Puerto Rico and to support leftist insurgencies elsewhere in Latin America.

      Los Macheteros recruited a young college drop-out from Hartford, Victor Gerena, to be its inside man in the Sept. 12, 1983, Wells Fargo robbery. Gerena obtained a job as a Wells Fargo guard, overpowered his co-workers with a pistol, injected them with a narcotic to incapacitate them, and helped stuff the cash into a battered sedan which was driven to the depot by fellow Macheteros.

      Gonzalez-Claudio and other Macheteros were accused, among other things, of hiding the cash behind hollow walls in a used motor home and driving the money, in two trips, to Mexico. Wire-tapped conversations, seized documents and other intelligence shows that most of the stolen money was flown from Mexico to Cuba, where it ended up under the control of Cuba's president at the time, Fidel Castro.

      Agents continue to seek the two remaining Machetero fugitives wanted in connection with the robbery: Gonzalez-Claudio's brother, Norberto; and Gerena.

      Copyright © 2010,
      The Hartford Courant

      CELEBRATING THE REVOLUTIONARY PUERTO RICAN WOMAN!

      This Women’s History Month, join The ProLibertad Freedom Campaign as we honor the contributions of Women to the Puerto Rican independence Movement:

      ¡QUE VIVA LA MUJER!

      Recipients of the Doña Adelfa Vera Award for 2010:
      Lourdes Garcia, Activist/Healer/Artisan
      Joyce Jones, Artist/Journalist/Activist
      Gloria Quinoñes, Activist/ProLibertad Support
      Amy Velez, Activist/ProLibertad Supporter

      Keynote Speakers:
      Yasmin Hernandez, Artist/Activist
      Normahiram Perez, Federacion de Maestros Puertorriqueños

      Poetry Performance:
      Mariposa and Prisionera

      Handcrafts and Natural healing products:
      Olga Ayala, Handcrafts (Hecho a Mano)
      Lourdes Garcia, Botanicafe Products

      Proceeds from the Night’s donations will go to the Point’s Program for Young Women

      Friday March 19, 2010 at 7pm:
      St. Mary’s Episcopal Church 521 W126th St. Basement
      Between  Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway
      Take the 1 train W125th St.

      Suggested donation: $5 (no one will be turned away)
      LIGHT REFRESHMENTS WILL BE SERVED!

      www.ProLibertadWeb.com
      ProLibertad@...