2/19-21 Herndon, VA: Shut Down The Racist American Renaissance Conference!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2010

      Please join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to: isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      Please donate to Immigrant Solidarity Network! Visit: http://www.actionla.org/Donation.htm

      Upload your activism video at our Activist Video Service! http://www.ActivistVideo.org

      2/19-21 Herndon, VA: Shut Down The Racist American Renaissance Conference!!

      SHUT DOWN THE RACISTS!
      BOYCOTT WESTIN HOTELS!
      IF THEY DO NOT CANCEL, THEN WE CONVERGE!

      The white supremacist newsletter American Renaissance (AmRen) is holding
      their 9th biennial conference at the Dulles Airport Westin in Herndon, VA (703-793-3366) on February 19-21, 2010.

      Beginning on Monday, January 18, a campaign to call the Dulles Airport Westin generated so many calls that the hotel assigned someone to deal with the complaints.  Initially, the situation was promising.  The Westin promised us that it was going to cancel the contract with the America Renaissance group, also known as the New Century Foundation.  By the end of the day, numerous individuals left messages, made complaints and the Sales Director, David Catalan (sp?), stopped answering his phone nor did he return voicemails.

      When we called on Thursday, January 21, the Westin told us that it was not canceling the event. The hotel is apparently okay with racists meeting in their hotel.  If the Westin is going to let that racist organization stay in their hotel, we will act to stop it.

      We tried playing nice but there is no time to compromise when it comes to stopping racists attempting to organize. We encourage everybody to call the Westin and tell the company that you are disgusted that it is going to host a racist group. Please mention that you will not be staying at any of their hotels until they cancel the American Renaissance conference.

      If the Westin does not cancel the event, we will converge on the hotel to confront these white supremacists when they crawl out from their rocks and try to gather!

      Save the Date!
      February 20, 2010 at the Westin Hotel in Herndon, Virginia.

      What is AmRen and What Do They Believe?
      AmRen, published by white supremacist Jared Taylor, is a newsletter that promotes pseudo scientific research which argues that non-whites are both genetically and morally inferior to whites.

      Previous attendees include Ku Klux Klan members (including former leader David Duke), neo-Nazis (such as Don Black), holocaust deniers, anti-immigration activists, and other ideologues promoting racial hatred.

      The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) writes that AmRen, "promotes their views by attacking racial, ethnic, and religious diversity, which they call 'one of the most divisive forces on the planet' and therefore 'dangerous'" and that, "many of North America’s leading intellectual racists have written for American Renaissance or have addressed the biennial American Renaissance conferences."

      Who is Supposed to be at the Conference This Year?
      The keynote speaker of the conference this year is Nick Griffin, head of the British National Party (BNP) and member of the European Parliament.  His attendance at the conference is troubling, as he is expected to be placed in jail soon for violating a court order in the U.K. to open the membership of his political party to non-whites by January 28, 2010.

      Griffin is not a stranger to jail. In 1996 he served a 9-month sentence after he was found guilty of "publishing material likely to incite racial hatred." Griffin's speaking
      engagement in northern Virginia is even more disturbing because James Von Brunn, the neo-Nazi who shot and killed a security guard at the Holocaust Museum in June 2009, was a member of the American Friends of the BNP, and had been at events where Griffin spoke. Griffin is also notable for his anti-Semitism, and has referred to the Holocaust as the "Holohoax."

      Other Speakers Include:
      Jared Taylor, head of the American Renaissance, who argues that blacks are "more psychopathic than whites." In an article about Hurricane Katrina, he wrote: "when blacks are left entirely to their own devices, Western Civilization—any kind of civilization—disappears. And in a crisis, civilization disappears overnight."

      Dan Roodt, head of the white supremacist organization Pro-Afrikaans Action Group, who argues that blacks are genetically programmed to commit violent crime, and wrote in an article on January 13th, 2010 that, "In South Africa, the white IQ is somewhere around 100 whereas the average black IQ is about 70....Blacks generally prefer parties and festivals because a lot of them lack the mental ability to excel at such demanding subjects as mathematics and natural science which require logical reasoning and cognitive ability."

      Wayne Lutton, who is the director of a group which publishes the racist Occidental Quarterly journal and the anti-Semitic Occidental Observer magazine.

      What Can You Do?
      Please contact Westin Washington Dulles Hotel and let the hotel know how you
      feel. The phone number is 703-793-3366. Here is an example of what you could say:

      "Hello, my name is _____. I am concerned about the American Renaissance conference which your hotel is planning to host February 19 through February 21. I hope that you will choose to uphold your company's commitment to diversity and to ensuring the safety of your customers by choosing to cancel the conference. I understand that several of the conference speakers have gone to prison for inciting racial violence, and in the interest of the safety of the local community, I ask that you do not endorse these views. I see the decision to host this conference at your hotel as an irresponsible promotion of racist belief, and if you choose not to cancel the conference, I will unfortunately no longer be giving any of my business to the Westin, and will be advising all of my family and friends to do the same. Thanks for your time."

      PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY. TELL YOUR FRIENDS, SHUT DOWN THE RACISTS!

      Afterword

      What about Free Speech?
      From the Anti-Racist Action FAQs: "Free speech shouldn't endanger people's lives. You
      can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, because people will probably get hurt trying to get out. We think that hate speech acts in the same way - by trying to make certain kinds of people seem less than human and by glorifying violent acts against them - it's just a matter of time before a follower or supporter of a hate group puts words into action  We think that hate speech, turning people into scapegoats and targets for hateful
      action, is an abuse of free speech and that people's lives are more important than the right of someone to publicly encourage others to target certain groups for a campaign of murder, rape, assault, genocide, ethnic cleansing and terror. If you actively go out of your way to tell people that 90% of the world's population should be enslaved or that the best thing they can do is kill someone because of their skin color, religion, ethnic background, immigration status, sexual orientation, disability, etc., we think you've forfeited your right to free speech.

      Isn't it Better to Just Ignore Racists?
      "Ignoring a problem never makes it go away. If hate groups encounter no opposition to their activities in a community, they'll take that to mean that they have no opposition there willing to stand up to them and they will act accordingly. This makes it more likely that hate group activity will increase and they will start hurting people. This also isolates the people they target - people of color, immigrants, religious or ethnic minorities, gays and lesbians, the disabled, women, etc. - making them feel vulnerable and afraid because it seems like no one has their back."

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! Listserv, go to webpage https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest

      **Please join our following listservs:

      Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
      send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la

      New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts
      send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert

      US-Mexico Border Information/Alert!
      send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Virginia state-wide immigrant organizing e-mail list, send- e-mail to: va-immigrantrights-subscribe@... or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights

      Chicago/Midwest/Great Lake Region Immigrant List, please send e-mail to: chicago-immigrantrights@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights

      Immigrant Detention & Deportation Alert!
      visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-immigrantdetention

      send e-mail to: isn-immigrantdetention-subscribe@...