10/6 Lee Siu Hin: Journey to My Home 2009--My Report from China (Part Five)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2009
      Lee Siu Hin: Journey to My Home 2009--Building Bi-national China-US Solidarity and Understanding

      Part Five: Overseas Chinese Scholars

      October 29, 2009
      Zhuhai, China

      Greeting from souther Chinese costal city of Zhuhai (where my IT office locate)! and here's my updates from China...middle of my China-U.S. bi-national solidarity trip....

      Last weekend I went to northern Chinese costal city of Dalian to attend and tabling at Oct 22-24 China OCS 2009 (OCS means "Overseas Chinese Scholars") --a major Chinese overseas academia/business conference: http://www.chinaocs.com/ocs.do

      This is a government-sponsored 4-days conference aim to attract over 800 Chinese students/scholars who're currently living & working at foreign countries (some estimates there's between 50%-60% choose not to return to China after their graduations--mostly at western countries) to invite them to come to attend the conference (all OCS attendees got free hotel and food)--I also qualified as OCS to attend.

      Currently Chinese government is spending large amount of money and efforts oto attract Chinese foreign students on offering research grants, favorable policies and high-paying domestic job opportunities in order to attract them to return to home to live & work--This is not the only one kind of conference in China, currently many other major Chinese cities and government agencies also organizing several dozens these types of conference annually to attract OCS. For example, I'll attend and exhibit another similar conference at southern Chinese city of Shenzhen--Nov 7-8 Conference on International Exchange of Professionals (CIEP): http://www.ciep-sz.org.cn/

      The rational of these types of conference is based on the assumption that most Chinese overseas students/scholars will eventually coming back to live and work in China--because of their cultural identity, economical opportunity at home and Chinese nationalism (there's no doubt that the economic crisis and discrimination against minorities in the major western countries is a "push factor" for them to decide to return to their homeland). Hoping that they can bring most advanced technologies and management ideas to the country. As conference slogan says OCS as migrate birds:" Regardless how far & high you'd flew away, flying back to home always will feeling most satisfied happiness")

      While some conference attendees argues the effeteness of these types conference as just a "moment of glory;" yet most other aggress that "challenges means opportunities, opportunities always comes with challenges" with focus on long-term vision--a five years plan on how to accomplish this.

      I enclosed you some photos from the conference (see below)

      I am planning to stay in China until mid-November, with many successful meetings with many Chinese government officials, scholars and OCS members from U.S., please let me know if you need anything from China.

      Lee Siu Hin

      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Peace NO War Network http://www.PeaceNOWar.net
      Action LA Network http://www.ActionLA.org

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--276.jpg

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--277.jpg
      (Banner says:" Regardless how far & high you'd flew, flying back to home always will feeling most satisfied happiness")

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--278.jpg

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--281.jpg

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--282.jpg

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--286.jpg

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--287.jpg
      (Old generation OCSs)

      http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/China2009/photos/ChinaReport09--288.jpg
      (Young generation OCSs)

      More stories of my trip will be coming soon….

      Previous Reports

      Part One

      Part Two

      Part Three

      Reports from my past China-U.S. bi-national solidarity trips:

      Journey to My Home: June - July 2008

      Journey to My Home: Hong Kong and China 2004
      http://www.actionla.org/Reports/JourneytoHome/introduction.htm

      Lee Siu Hin
      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      Peace NO War Network http://www.PeaceNOWar.net
      Action LA Network http://www.ActionLA.org

      ActionLA

      Action for World Liberation Everyday!
      Tel: (213)403-0131

      e-mail: Info@...

      To join the list, send e-mail to: actionla-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/actionla

      *Please post your protest, community event and news at ActionLA!*

      To add your event, please go: http://actionla.org/user/addevents.php

      To publish your announcement and community news, please visit: http://actionla.org/user/publish.php

      **WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!

      Please support our important works of ActionLA! Send your donations to:

      ActionLA
      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751
      (at the memo line write donations to ActionLA/AFSC, all donations are tax deductible)

      For Credit Card donations, please visit: http://www.actionla.org/Donation.htm