3/18: President Obama Reiterates Promise for Immigration Reform (MIRA)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2009

      Please join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to: isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      PLEASE COME!! 4/10-12, 2009 Chicago,IL: NISN National Grassroots Immigrant Strategy Conference http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org/2009Conference/

      Hotline: (773)942-2268

      http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102511448809&e=0012tqgymoB7NvtDJVgnkaVyPF1WikVQqAs76dyb2EzQKe8sR-5b3o0IodzJwOqw1YHPbQ-LbgbIGVOo9YXeL9UDjBVeStRmKYUiy3OejKhwkvjjQ1TyD0_Ig== Massachusetts Immigrant & Refugee Advocacy Coalition

      PRESS STATEMENT
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Wednesday, March 18th, 2009

      Contact:

      Eva A. Millona
       (508) 615-7684 cell
      Carly Burton
      (617) 350-5480 x208
      Press Statement: President Obama Reiterates Promise for Immigration Reform

      Boston, MA- Earlier today, President Obama met with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus to discuss the issue of immigration reform.  During the meeting, President Obama reiterated his support for comprehensive immigration reform and announced that he will make a public statement in May that will lay out his plans for  just and humane reform.

      Below is a statement from Eva A. Millona, Executive Director of the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition.

      "We are pleased that the President met with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus to reiterate his commitment to immigration reform and that he will be laying out his plan for such reform in early May.  Creating a just and humane immigration system in this country is long overdue.  For too long, families have been torn apart, workers have been forced to live in the shadows and the country has been suffering because of our broken system.

      We need a comprehensive approach that gives the hard working men and women already here an earned path to citizenship, keeps families together and provides legal avenues for future workers to seek out opportunities here and join our struggle to strengthen our economy.  Especially in this time of economic crisis, we need to work together to push for immigration reform.  Legalization would bring more workers into the tax system and increase tax revenue. It would enable these workers to receive the protections all workers deserve, and give immigrants the opportunity to contribute more freely to our economy through purchasing power.  A workable immigration reform would contribute significantly to the long-term economic growth and stability of our country.

      America is a country founded on the values of inclusiveness, shared responsibility, shared sacrifice, and hard work. Our policies, including our immigration policy, must reflect our values.  We look forward to working with the President to pursue just and humane immigration reform."

      MIRA works to advocate for the rights and opportunities of immigrants and refugees. In partnership with its members, MIRA advances this mission through education, training, leadership development, organizing, policy analysis and advocacy.

      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      P.O. Box 751
      South Pasadena, CA 91031-0751

      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! Listserv, go to webpage https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest

      **Please join our following listservs:

      Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
      send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la

      New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts
      send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@...
      or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert

      US-Mexico Border Information/Alert!
      send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Virginia state-wide immigrant organizing e-mail list, send- e-mail to: va-immigrantrights-subscribe@... or visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights

      Chicago/Midwest/Great Lake Region Immigrant List, please send e-mail to: chicago-immigrantrights@...
      or visit:
      https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/chicago-immigrantrights

      Immigrant Detention & Deportation Alert!
      visit: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-immigrantdetention

      send e-mail to: isn-immigrantdetention-subscribe@...