AZ Gov. Asks 4 250 More Soldiers @ Border

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2009

      http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1100958

      Brewer asks for 250 more troops to secure border

      March 11th, 2009 @ 5:55pm

      by KTAR.com

      PHOENIX - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer requested an increase of 250 soldiers from the National Guard on Wednesday to help secure the Arizona-Mexico border.

      Brewer's request was sent in a letter to Department of Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

      "Arizona communities and citizens are negatively affected by the impacts of the illegal drug trade and related border violence, and enforcement agencies in all jurisdictions are stretched as they attempt to address the enormity of the problems," Brewer said in a press release.

      "Our citizens must be protected from border violence. Arizona and other U.S./Mexico border states continue to be confronted by a number of unique and disproportionate challenges relative to other states and we bear significant unreimbursed costs in the public, non-profit and business sectors associated with border related challenges."

      Troops would be brought in as a part of the Joint Counter Narco-Terrorism Task Force (JCNTF). The additional soldiers would bring the total count to around 400 JCNTF personnel.

      The border between Arizona and Mexico spans 350 miles, and is considered the most porous in the nation.