Reject ICE Demand that Congressman Gutierrez be censured for calling ICE raids "Gestapo"

  • abeltranjurisdr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2008
      forwarded message:

      Reject ICE Demand that Cong. Gutierrez be censured for calling ICE
      raids "Gestapo"

      Subject: Demand Cong. Gutierrez be censured for calling ICE raids
      "Gestapo"

      Congressman Gutierrez has called for a moratorium on raids,
      deportations and separation of families and the terror and abuse
      homeland security has inflicted on our people, until a comprehensive
      immigration reform
      is implemented. We are lucky that he is still
      there fighting for us. In the article below I.C.E. is calling for him
      to be disciplined for calling I.C.E. gestapo.

      emma

      This is from the website of Congressional Quarterly.

      emma

      CQ TODAY ONLINE NEWS – IMMIGRATION
      Aug. 6, 2008 – 11:28 p.m.

      ICE Chief Calls for Congress to Discipline Lawmaker for 'Gestapo' Remark

      By John Bicknell, CQ Staff

      The head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will ask Congress
      to consider taking disciplinary a ction against one of its members for
      a statement he made equating ICE agents with the Gestapo, a senior
      agency official said Wednesday.

      Luis V. Gutierrez , vice chairman of the House Judiciary subcommittee
      that handles immigration, has called for a moratorium on ICE
      enforcement actions until Congress passes a comprehensive overhaul,
      something it has failed to do in each of the past two years.
      In a column written for Politico, Gutierrez, D-Ill., commenting on
      recent ICE arrests of illegal immigrants in Iowa, said: "You know who
      is in charge now? The Gestapo agents at Homeland Security. They are in
      charge."

      A senior ICE official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Julie
      L. Myers, the assistant secretary of Homeland Security for Immigration
      and Customs Enforcement, was "absolutely appalled and deeply angered"
      by the statement. The official said Myers would send a letter to
      senior members of Congress20asking that disciplinary action be taken
      against=2 0Gutierrez' for his remarks.

      Another official, Jamie Zuieback, director of congressional affairs
      for ICE, went on the record.

      "It's not OK," Zuieback said. "Aside from being demeaning to the law
      enforcement officers
      that uphold the very laws passed by Mr.
      Gutierrez's Congress, it's potentially dangerous. No member of
      Congress
      should be encouraging the public to defy or demean federal
      law enforcement
      officers. Words matter."

      A call seeking comment from Gutierrez was not returned.

      Similar comments from the immigration activist community are not all
      that uncommon, and at least one other Democratic House member has made
      a similar remark.

      At a February hearing, California Democrat Sam Farr , assessing ICE's
      tactics, said, "What happens is the public image of you becomes one of
      not this compassionate law enforcement agency but essentially a
      Gestapo-type agency that is knocking on doo rs."

      At that he aring, Myers responded by saying "Congressman Farr, we are
      not the Gestapo, and I will not listen to you call . . . us Gestapo."

      A version of this story originally appeared on CQ Homeland Security.

      ###