Jim Gilchrist visits the border....

  • dorinda moreno
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008

      A gallon of gas?  $3.60

      A Starbuck's grande latte?  $2.80

      A Minutemen Squabble?  Priceless

      Jim Gilchrist, the notorious national leader of the
      Minutemen paid a visit to the border on April 5th,
      in full battle gear, and a radio reporter in tow.
      This is what he encountered from fellow Minutemen:

      THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES

              "I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I offend
      not with my tongue. I held my tongue, and spake
      nothing. I kept silence, yea, even  from good words;
      but it was pain and grief to me. My heart was hot
      within  me, and while I was thus musing the fire
      kindled, and at the last I spake."  (Psalm
      39:1-4).

         I am one of the volunteers at the Mountain
      Minutemen's Light Up the
      Line event in Campo, CA. I feel this post needs to be
      made and I ask
        only
      two things: (1) That you read it all the way through
      to the end; and
        (2)
      That if you are inclined to flame me (or, if a
      moderator, delete this
        post),
      you take 10 minutes to at least think about what
      specific rule or TOS I
        have
      violated by making this post.

              Background. I came late to the Minuteman effort, and
      so missed all
      of the schisms that have led to its present division.
      I came to
        volunteer
      with the Mountain Minutemen, located at Patriot Point,
      Campo, CA
        through a
      family friend - not because I have ill will toward any
      other Minuteman
      group. I try very hard not to speak ill of fellow
      Minutemen or SOS'ers
        and
      steer clear of the divisiveness that hampers our
      efforts.
              On the other hand, when someone acts as atrociously
      as Jim Gilchrist
      did this weekend, I feel I must speak.
              The Light Up the Line event was off to a smashing
      success by midday
      last Saturday. Friday night saw us blanket a line of
      almost two miles
        with
      spotlights, generators, auto headlights, and most
      importantly, border
      watchers. Several groups of illegals spent the night
      attempting to
        enter at
      various points, only to be turned back when they saw
      our positions or
        were
      illuminated by our lights. I myself spent the entire
      night Friday on
        top of
      the 241, guarding the lights and generator trained on
      our flag and on
        the
      entry point. I have never been as cold, wet and
      miserable in my life -
        but
      it was worth it.
              Our focus and elation changed in a heartbeat Saturday
      afternoon. Who
      should come strutting up to Patriot Point with the
      Mayor of Corona and
      reporter in tow, but Mr. Jim Gilchrist? (In tactical
      gear with canteen,
        even
      though he had just exited his automobile.)
              Further background. Mr. Gilchrist and the Mountain
      Minutemen (led by
      Robert Crooks) have a substantial amount of bad blood
      between them for
        two
      primary reasons. First, back in mid-2006, according to
      Mr. Crooks, Mr.
      Gilchrist promised monthly funding to operate the
      Point. This funding
        never
      materialized. Second, as is well known, Mr. Gilchrist
      has all but
        abandoned
      border operations - the heart and soul of the
      Minuteman Movement - in
        favor
      of soliciting donations and doing. well just what
      exactly? That is the
      question. He certainly hasn't been seen on the
      Tecate/Campo border in
        almost
      two years.
              In light of this background, it was highly
      inappropriate for Mr.
      Gilchrist to simply arrive, unannounced, and expect to
      be hailed as the
      returning Dear Leader or some such. Needless to say,
      Mr. Crooks
        immediately
      began questioning Mr. Gilchrist - pointedly - about
      why he abandoned
        border
      watch efforts, the Point, and yet continues to solicit
      donations
        apparently
      simply to self-perpetuate his own prominence in the
      movement.
              Here is where it got surreal. Instead of answering
      Mr. Crooks' valid
      questions with information, Mr. Gilchrist began
      screaming that the
        Minutemen
      were a "gang," a bunch of "thugs," and that we were
      there to "kill
      illegals." At one point, he demanded to be taken "up
      the hill to where
        you
      have the bodies."
              I stood in shock. I had heard this all before - from
      MEChA and La
      Raza. But I never expected to hear it from the founder
      of the Minuteman
      movement.
              At this point I sidled up to Mr. Gilchrist and in a
      calm voice
      asked, "What do you mean we are a 'gang' of 'thugs'?
      Please explain
        that."
      He snarled, "Was I talking to you? I don't think I was
      talking to you."
      replied, "Well, you said we are thugs, and I'm
      volunteering here, so I
      assume you include me in that." He again snarled that
      he was "not
        talking to
      me." At this point I attempted to take a different
      tack to try to show
        Mr.
      Gilchrist that we could not possibly be "thugs" - I
      presented my "bona
      fides." I explained that I had come to watch the
      border, not to argue
        with
      anyone; that I was an Ivy League-educated Orange
      County attorney, and a
      member of the Lincoln Club of Orange County (with
      which Mr. Gilchrist
        would
      certainly be familiar as a former congressional
      candidate). He again
      snarled, "So, you think you're better than other
      people?" (Missing my
        point
      entirely). At this point, Mr. Gilchrist came
      completely unhinged and
      retreated to name-calling. "You're obviously stupid,"
      he said, "and
        you've
      drank the Kool Aid here; but wait, I forgot, you can't
      be stupid if you
        went
      to Harvard." A propos of nothing, Mr. Gilchrist then
      proceeded to call
        me a
      "wimp." (Interesting, that. I had just spent a night
      in wet 35 degree
      temperatures on a mountain at 3000 feet, guarding our
      border. I assume
        Mr.
      Gilchrist had spent Friday night in his house in OC.
      Who exactly is the
      'wimp'?") I replied, "At least I am down here on the
      border. All you do
        is
      sit in Orange County with your shell corporation and
      beg for donations.
        What
      exactly do you do anymore?"
              He replied, "I raise awareness." At this point, I
      simply said, "you
      disgust me," and walked away.
              Other Minutemen had similar, even less polite
      exchanges with the
      venerable Founder. He appeared genuinely surprised and
      caught off guard
        by
      the fact that there were so many volunteers there all
      willing to speak
        up
      and not be cowed by him. The Mayor of Corona (who had
      apparently, I
        learned
      from his campaign manager, asked for an introduction
      to the Minuteman
      Project from Mr. Gilchrist) looked perplexed and
      confused by his
        guide's
      behavior. The reporter, Steve Gregory from KFI, simply
      looked
        disgusted.
              Mr. Gilchrist began behaving even more strangely. At
      one point, he
      took out his wallet, opened it, and leafed through it
      as if he planned
      give money to Mr. Crooks. He then began to tear up and
      try to rebuild
      bridges with the Minutemen he had just savagely
      reviled and insulted.
        He
      approached me and without any apology, simply said,
      "Hi, I'm Jim," as
        if to
      start over. One only gets one chance with me, and he
      had blown it.
        Having
      none of it, I said evenly, "You, sir, are NOT quality.
      And you never
        will
      be." He sputtered, "That wasn't very diplomatic."
      After a few more
        minutes,
      he slunk away.
              This surreal event begs a couple of questions. Why,
      exactly, did Mr.
      Gilchrist choose to take the Mayor of Corona to
      Patriot Point (if the
        Mayor
      asked for an introduction to the Minuteman Movement)?
      I can think of a
        few
      reasons.
              First, perhaps in spite of himself, Mr. Gilchrist
      actually DOES
      think the Mountain Minutemen are an effective
      operation, and that's why
        he
      chose to bring his guest there. Naively, he may have
      thought he'd be
        hailed
      as the returning King, and when that didn't
      materialize, he came
        unglued.
              Second, perhaps Mr. Gilchrist expected Mr. Crooks to
      be alone, and
      planned to embarrass him as the "crazy loner" living
      on the border.
        Caught
      off guard by how many Minutemen were present, Mr.
      Gilchrist unspooled.
              Third, perhaps Mr. Gilchrist had heard of the Light
      Up the Line
      event and simply wanted to get a share of the
      coverage. Him, plus the
      border, plus a reporter, equals a great photo op. He
      didn't count on
        the
      fact that REAL Minutemen, operating on two hours'
      sleep, cold, wet,
        hungry,
      and doing the real work he hasn't done for years,
      wouldn't appreciate
        his
      antics.
              But whatever the reason for his visit, the most
      important piece of
      information that needs to get out is this: Mr.
      Gilchrist has only
        contempt
      for the rank and file volunteers watching our border.
      The moment he
        does not
      receive the adulation and kudos he feels he deserves,
      he switches to
        vicious
      attacks in PRECISELY the same terms as our
      adversaries.
              That speaks volumes. I conclude from this that Mr.
      Gilchrist has no
      loyalty toward or respect for individual Minutemen. In
      his eyes, we
        exist
      only to either give him laud, or make donations. He
      does not work with
        us,
      he does not visit us to give support - no, in his
      first visit to the
        border
      in almost two years, he arrives in full "mufti," with
      a politician and
      reporter in tow - to do what? To scream the same
      insults, the same
        slanders,
      at us that MEChA and La Raza do.
              We need to get this word out to all those who donate
      to Mr.
      Gilchrist thinking they are furthering the Minuteman
      Movement. The
      proverbial little old lady in Kansas who sends him $50
      a month on
        PayPal,
      for example, needs to be made aware that not only does
      he not support
        border
      watch operations, he has the utmost contempt for them
      - for US.
              Whatever value he once had, it is clear that Mr.
      Gilchrist has "gone
      bad." He should be run out of the Minuteman Movement,
      shunned, and the
        truth
      about him be told to all that will listen. The Emperor
      has no clothes.