DHS Exercises Waiver Authority to Expedite Advancements in Border Security

  • peaceandjustice2005
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Press Release

      The U.S. Department of Homeland Security

      DHS Exercises Waiver Authority to Expedite Advancements in Border Security

      Release Date: April 1, 2008

      For Immediate Release
      Office of the Press Secretary
      Contact: 202-282-8010

      All Segments Project Area - Final (PDF, 4 pages - 34 KB)
      All Segments Waiver - Signed (PDF, 5 pages - 1.5 MB)
      Hidalgo Waiver Project Area - Final (PDF, 1 page - 19 KB)
      Hidalgo Fence Waiver - Signed (PDF, 4 pages - 1.2 MB)

      The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced today its intent to
      issue two waivers of certain laws to expedite security improvements at
      the southwest border. Congress gave the Secretary of Homeland Security
      authority to waive all legal requirements necessary to expeditiously
      install additional physical barriers and roads at the border to deter
      illegal activity.

      "Criminal activity at the border does not stop for endless debate or
      protracted litigation," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael
      Chertoff. "Congress and the American public have been adamant that
      they want and expect border security. We're serious about delivering
      it, and these waivers will enable important security projects to keep
      moving forward. At the same time, we value the need for public input
      on any potential impact of our border infrastructure plans on the
      environment – and we will continue to solicit it."

      One waiver applies to certain environmental and land management laws
      for various project areas in Calif., Ariz., N.M., and Texas,
      encompassing roughly 470 total miles. It will facilitate additional
      pedestrian and vehicle fence construction, towers, sensors, cameras,
      detection equipment, and roads in the vicinity of the border.

      A separate waiver was signed for the levee-border barrier project in
      Hidalgo County, Texas. This roughly 22-mile project will strengthen
      flood protection in the area while providing the Border Patrol with
      important tactical infrastructure. In addition to environmental and
      land management laws, this waiver addresses other legal and
      administrative impediments to completing this project by the end of
      the calendar year.

      A substantial portion of the project areas addressed by these waivers
      have already undergone environmental reviews. In those areas where
      environmental reviews have not yet occurred, the department will
      conduct a review before any major construction begins. The department
      remains deeply committed to environmental responsibility, and will
      continue to work closely with the Department of Interior and other
      federal and state resources management agencies to ensure impacts to
      the environment, wildlife, and cultural and historic artifacts are
      analyzed and minimized.

      The department also places a high priority on interaction with, and
      feedback from, local officials, landowners and community members about
      border infrastructure project plans. Since May 2007, more than 600
      individual landowners have been contacted and over 100 meetings with
      local officials, public open houses and town halls have been held
      along the southwest border.

      The department has used its discretionary waiver authority on three
      previous occasions. Certain environmental restrictions were waived on
      Sept. 13, 2005 to complete a roughly 14-mile stretch of fencing, as
      part of the Border Infrastructure System, near San Diego, California.
      A second waiver of environmental restrictions was used for additional
      border infrastructure near the Barry M. Goldwater Range in southern
      Arizona on Jan. 12, 2007. A third waiver of environmental restrictions
      was issued on Oct. 26, 2007, allowing the construction of border
      infrastructure to move forward near the San Pedro National Riparian
      Conservation Area in southern Arizona.

      # # #

      This page was last reviewed/modified on April 1, 2008.

      http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1207080713748.shtm

      also in this e-mail:

      (1) Nearly 50 ... immigrants working as security guards arrested

      (2) Ariz. Proposes Bill to Stop Loss of Migrant Workers : NPR

      (3) R.I. Advocates Decry Immigration Order

      (4) Truth in Immigration Website Launches!

      (5) War of words heats up between Arpaio, Gordon

      (6) Torrance, California RAIDS

      (7) All Virginians deserve in-state tuition

      (8) Forwarded Message: Nativist News for April 1, 2008

      (9) Brown rejects calls to cap immigration (UK)

      (10)Corridors of Migration [Book - by Rodolfo Acuna]
      http://www.altreads.com/corridors-of-migration

      (11) AP - Feds to Bypass Laws to Build Fence
      http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jE_bOUpQb6MxrxSQno3N6gEdY-MAD8VP5ISO0

      (12) VIDEO - "I think we should welcome all peaceful people to our
      country," says Drew Carey. "They get to the pursue the 'American
      Dream' and we get to benefit from all the wonderful things that
      immigrants bring to our country—like good old fashioned soccer. Sounds
      like a pretty good deal to me."

      copyright © 2004 - 2008 - reason.tv

      http://www.reason.tv/video/show/62.html

      (13) [NY] Hit And Run Investigated As Hate Crime

      (14) Santa Rosa - Farmworkers march for better immigration [VIDEO]

      (15) CNN.com - Commentary: Immigration's yin and yang, by Ruben
      Navarrette Jr.
      Special to CNN

      (16) Vermont College helps African, Vietnamese and Bosnian refugees

      (17) Chicago Public Radio - This American Life, Act Two. This American
      Wife.

      (18) SF Chronicle - Mexican drug cartels move into human smuggling

      (19) AP - ... Immigrants Often Die Anonymously

      (20) ...anti-immigrant bills... introduced in the [CA] State
      Legislature. Check out the ... list... here:
      http://www.immigrantrights.org/policyupdates.asp.

      Santa Rosa - Farmworkers march for better immigration [VIDEO]

      [go to original for video,

      link - http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6051261 ]

      KGO San Francisco, CAHOME

      Farmworkers march for better immigration
      Sunday, March 30, 2008 | 7:18 PM
      By Tomas Roman

      SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- About 2000 people marched in Santa Rosa today to
      celebrate the life and legacy of labor leader Cesar Chavez. This year,
      the United Farm Worker's theme is immigration reform. They're working
      to make Sonoma County a sanctuary county for illegal immigrants.

      "Yes we can" has been the cry of the United Farm Workers Union for
      more than 40 years. On, Sunday, on the eve of Cesar Chavez's 81st
      birthday, the theme of this years UFW march is immigration reform.

      "If Cesar was alive today he'd be out marching for immigration
      reform," says Roberto Garcia of the Sonoma County UFW.

      Garcia says the UFW wants amnesty for illegal immigrants and an end to
      ICE, or Immigration Control and Enforcement raids. Much of today's
      festive crowd is made up of farm workers and their children. Winery
      worker Rosa Rubio says all she wants is to work.

      "We are here because we want to live well. We don't want trouble,"
      says Rubio.

      Jorge Deharo wants an end to raids that leave children without their
      parents.

      "We need to stop the police from stopping cars and taking away parents
      leaving children alone on the streetsm" says Deharo.

      Close to 2,000 people took part in Sunday's march .They gathered in
      downtown Santa Rosa to commemorate the work that Cesar Chavez did for
      farm workers and their families from starting the UFW in 1962 up until
      his death in 1993.

      The UFW says they would like Sonoma County to become a sanctuary
      county. Because agricultural workers, legal and illegal, are so
      important to the economy of the county some legislators are starting
      to look at the issue.

      "There is a nescient move just beginning to look at it. We're looking
      at different models. We know that San Francisco has done it. We want
      something we know is going to work and be effective," says Santa Rosa
      City Council member Michael Allen.

      Orlean Keohle of Eagle Forum, an immigration watchdog group, says
      illegal immigrant means the person is breaking the law and should be
      treated that way.

      "Granted these people are trying to find some existence for their
      lives, but if we can get laws that are enforced, they would be able to
      have the ability to come here legally," says Keohle.

      The UFW is also trying to make Cesar Chavez's birthday a national holiday.

      (Copyright ©2008 KGO-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

      http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=newslocal&id=6051261& pt=print

      abc7news.com link:

      Farmworkers march for better immigration
      About 2000 people marched in Santa Rosa today to celebrate the life
      and legacy
      of labor leader Cesar Chavez. This year, the United Farm Worker's
      theme is
      immigration reform. They're working to make Sonoma County a sanctuary
      county for
      illegal immigrants.

      http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6051261

      ABC7 News - Discover The Stories

      CNN.com

      Commentary: Immigration's yin and yang

      By Ruben Navarrette Jr.
      Special to CNN

      SAN DIEGO, California (CNN) -- Not long ago, I got an illuminating
      e-mail from a woman who went off about how the federal government had
      to stop the "invasion" of illegal immigrants from Mexico and how the
      Mexican government had to stop its people from crossing into the
      United States without proper documents.

      It was a fairly common message -- except that, in this case, the woman
      admitted that she herself had gotten in the habit of hiring Mexican
      workers to do odd jobs around her house and that she assumed these
      workers were here illegally.

      But, she said unapologetically, this was work that she needed done
      and, well, she said of the worker, "They're here anyway."

      I love it. I printed the note and put it in a folder. Later, I
      received another note -- this one from a leader of the Minuteman
      Project who joked that he enjoyed reading my columns blasting people
      such as him (really he did) because it gave him "something to do while
      [his] illegal Mexican gardener" mowed his lawn.

      I'm going to need a bigger folder.

      The irony behind those messages comes to mind as more and more states
      embark on a fool's errand: trying to take over the job of the federal
      government and shape U.S. immigration policy.

      From Mississippi to Alabama to Kansas to Indiana, state lawmakers are
      considering hundreds of immigration-related proposals that do
      everything from deny illegal immigrants driver's licenses to enlist
      local police into the enforcement of federal immigration law.

      It's all to show illegal immigrants that they aren't welcome. And yet,
      most of the time, lawmakers never stop to think about the fact that
      they wouldn't even have illegal immigrants in their state in the first
      place if, somewhere along the line, someone in that state hadn't
      already welcomed them with a job -- a job that, in many cases, other
      state residents didn't want to do at any price.

      Nor do lawmakers, or their constituents, seem all that willing to
      acknowledge that illegal immigration is a self-inflicted wound and
      that the communities, cities and states now complaining about being
      overrun by illegal immigrants are the same ones that -- just a few
      years ago -- couldn't wait to benefit from the cheap labor, economic
      prosperity, increased tax base and construction booms that
      immigration, even the illegal kind, makes possible.

      It's hard to feel sorry for Phoenix, Arizona; Denver, Colorado;
      Charlotte, North Carolina; Las Vegas, Nevada; San Diego; Dallas,
      Texas; and other cities that spent the last decade riding the tiger of
      illegal immigration and have only recently begun to confront the
      dangers in their addiction.

      And many states still can't get enough immigrant workers to satisfy
      their appetite. In fact, Arizona and Colorado are considering
      launching guest-worker plans of their own because they're tired of
      waiting for the federal government to come up with a proposal to
      alleviate the labor shortage.

      Some people are even talking about employers using Mexican consulates
      to recruit foreign workers, as if they were glorified temp agencies.

      Sooner or later, Americans are going to have to admit that enforcement
      and employment are the yin and yang of immigration reform. We wouldn't
      need so much of the former if you didn't have such an ample supply of
      the latter.

      Just one more thing to think about while your lawn is being mowed.

      Ruben Navarrette Jr. is a member of the editorial board of the San
      Diego Union-Tribune and a nationally syndicated columnist. Read his
      columnhere.

      The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.

      Find this article at:
      http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/31/navarrette.opinion/index.html

      © 2008 Cable News Network

      boston.com

      The Associated Press

      Vermont College helps African, Vietnamese and Bosnian refugees

      By Lisa Rathke, Associated Press Writer | March 30, 2008

      BURLINGTON, Vt. --

      ----------

      On the Net:

      Champlain College: http://www.champlain.edu

      © Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

      http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2008/03/30/vermont_college\
      \
      _helps_african_vietnamese_and_bosnian_refugees/

      Chicago Public Radio

      This American Life

      Act Two. This American Wife.

      This American Life contributor Jack Hitt uncovers a strange practice
      within the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. If a foreign
      national marries a U.S. citizen and schedules an interview for a green
      card, but the U.S. citizen dies before the interview takes place, the
      foreign national is scheduled for deportation with no appeal—even if
      the couple has children who are U.S. citizens. Jack talks with Brent
      Renison, a lawyer who's representing over 130 people in this
      situation, mostly widows, who are seeking to overturn the Immigration
      Service's rule. (20 minutes)

      Song: "Goodbye," The Postmarks

      http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=353

      http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=353

      This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/03/31/MN8MV94C7.DTL
      Monday, March 31, 2008 (SF Chronicle)
      Mexican drug cartels move into human smuggling
      David Francis, Chronicle Foreign Service

      ============================

      4-1-08

      This link will be valid until Thursday, May 01, 2008

      ================================

      Illegal Immigrants Often Die Anonymously
      By ACE STRYKER
      Associated Press Writer

      BLANDING, Utah (AP) -- The foreigner is buried in a small-town
      cemetery, against a barbed-wire fence in an unmarked plot set aside
      for poor people.

      He might be Mexican. He might be Guatemalan. But he's simply called
      No. 8, a man with no name because his identity is still unknown, a
      year after he was killed in a car wreck with seven other illegal
      immigrants in southeastern Utah.

      "This is the Garden of Eden of Utah down here," said Philip Palmer,
      coordinator at Blanding City Cemetery, referring to the mountain peaks
      in four states visible from the graveyard. "It's a good place to put him."

      More than 2,000 illegal immigrants have died in the Southwest since
      2002, and many are nameless in death - buried as anonymous victims of
      heat stroke, car crashes or other calamities.
      They typically carry no ID, just the clothes on their back and the
      dream of a life better than the one they left behind.

      "They're filling our morgues," said Todd Matthews of Livingston,
      Tenn., who works for the Doe Network, a volunteer organization that
      helps law enforcement with unidentified remains.

      More than half of the border-crossing deaths in the Southwest since
      2002 have occurred in Arizona's Pima County, which includes Tucson, on
      the Arizona-Mexico border.

      Bruce Anderson, a forensic anthropologist in Tucson, said a quarter of
      the victims there lack names. Many remains are little more than
      bleached bone after a few days in the sun, making them almost
      impossible to identify.

      "They die in the middle of nowhere," Anderson said. "Most Americans
      die in their car, in their house, or with somebody they know."

      In the case of No. 8, he apparently died in Utah among strangers.

      It's unknown when or how he entered the country. But on the night of
      April 15, 2007, he piled into a sport utility vehicle in Phoenix,
      joining 13 other people for a trip to St. Louis.

      They crossed the Arizona-Utah state line at 3:30 a.m. At some point,
      the driver drifted out of his lane, overcorrected and lost control of
      the vehicle, sending it spinning onto its side.

      The SUV rolled several times, and seven passengers were thrown from
      it. Eight people, all illegal immigrants, were killed.

      The driver, Rigoberto Salas-Lopez, told agents he was paid $1,000 to
      drive the group. He pleaded guilty to transporting illegal aliens
      resulting in death and will be sentenced June 5 in federal court in
      Salt Lake City.

      The body of No. 8 was transported more than 300 miles north to the
      Utah medical examiner's office in Salt Lake City, where doctors took
      fingerprints, photographs and samples from his body. But prospects for
      identifying him became increasingly bleak.

      "You can have a very fresh body, and still the person is
      unidentifiable because there are no leads as to who they might be,"
      said Dr. Todd Grey, the state's chief medical examiner. "There's
      certainly not going to be a missing person's report filed."

      Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement,
      said agents worked with the Mexican and Guatemalan consulates. The
      bodies of three other unknown crash victims were eventually identified
      and sent home for burial, but No. 8 remained.

      In Salt Lake City, the Mexican Consulate fed information from the
      medical examiner into a database but learned nothing. In Denver, the
      Guatemalan Consulate met the same result.

      Experts said DNA will be the key to solving difficult cases in the future.

      Lori Baker at Baylor University in Waco, Texas, has been building a
      DNA database since 2003. With DNA samples from Pima County, Ariz., and
      cooperation from the Mexican government, she has identified more than
      70 dead illegal immigrants.

      The process relies on relatives in Mexico telling authorities they
      haven't heard from a loved one who was expected to cross the border.
      If they provide a blood sample, Baker runs it through her database to
      compare it to samples on file.

      At a minimum, Baker hopes to develop a "genetic map" using indicators
      within DNA that could help identify someone's native country.

      "What we're hoping is that by having this genetic profile and then
      having information from Mexico, we can say, 'Well, this person doesn't
      look to be Mexican - genetically, they look to be Guatemalan,'" she said.

      But to many coroners, the DNA process seems expensive and the
      technology intimidating, Baker said.
      By last fall, No. 8's body had been in Salt Lake City for six months.
      No family members had stepped up to claim a missing relative fitting
      his description and circumstances.

      That's when Danny Palmer, funeral director at San Juan Mortuary, was
      called to pick up the body and return it to southeastern Utah for
      burial, just a few miles from where the crash occurred.
      Palmer stored the body in the mortuary garage for about a week while
      the grave was prepared. San Juan County paid the $700 bill for the
      burial, and the mortuary donated a steel casket valued at $1,000.

      There was no prayer, no ceremony as the body was laid to rest in plot
      55 in the Blanding cemetery. No. 8 was recorded in cemetery records as
      "unknown male" - an immigrant who died thousands of miles from home
      and was finally buried Oct. 12.

      "It felt a little bit hollow that there was no family. There was no
      noise," Danny Palmer recalled.
      A local man who assisted, Mike Moses, said: "There was a heaviness
      that was there. All of us felt pretty helpless about what to do."

      The men tied a rope around the casket to make it easier to remove if
      anyone ever does come looking. But for now, No. 8 will stay in Utah
      indefinitely.

      "That'll be his spot," Philip Palmer said.

      © 2008 The Associated Press

      http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IMMIGRANT_NO_8?SITE=OHCIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

      Forwarded Message: Nativist News for April 1, 2008

      HATEWATCH: NATIVIST NEWS
      ------------------------------
      ----------------------
      An e-newsletter monitoring extremism in the anti-immigration movement

      For the week of April 1, 2008
      [NY] Hit And Run Investigated As Hate Crime
      ABC News / March 31, 2008
      Suffolk County Police Hate Crimes Unit detectives are investigating a
      hit-and-run incident in which a Hispanic day laborer
      suffered a skull fracture after being struck by a vehicle while
      waiting for work with other immigrant laborers.
      >> http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FwMB0AA

      [AZ] 'Battle of Bell Road' Draws United For A Sovereign America
      Members
      Phoenix New Times / March 28, 2088
      About 20 members of United For A Sovereign America waved racist signs
      and taunted hundreds of civil rights demonstrators who gathered to
      protest Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's latest anti-immigrant
      dragnet.
      >> http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FwMC0AB

      [FL] Nativist Groups Expanding In Florida
      Miami Herald / March 31, 2008
      Membership in a growing cohort of Florida nativist organizations
      continues to swell and the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps has
      established a chapter in Miami, the city with the nation's highest
      percentage of foreign-born residents.
      >> http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FwMD0AC

      [UT] Minutemen Call For Mexico Travel Boycott
      Deseret Morning News / March 29, 2008
      Minuteman groups in California and Utah are campaigning to boycott all
      travel to Mexico to protest a Mexican consulate employee's apparent
      call for "reconquest."
      >> http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FwME0AD

      LEARN MORE

      To learn more about the anti-immigration movement, read these articles
      from the Southern Poverty Law Center's Intelligence Report:

      *** The New Nativists ***
      A second wave of anti-immigration leaders, joining the activists who
      appeared after the 2005 Minuteman Project, are profiled in 20 short
      biographical sketches.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FtWT0AZ

      *** Immigration Backlash ***
      A list of hate crimes against perceived undocumented immigrants - and
      Latinos in general - shows a dramatic rise in violence.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FieM0AV

      *** Teflon Nativists ***
      The Federation for American Immigration (FAIR) is explored, due to its
      bigotry and ties to white supremacy.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FieN0AW

      *** 'Christian' Nativism ***
      A look at the way that Christian Right groups are dealing with the
      contentious issue of illegal immigration.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FA1y0Ah

      *** Smokescreen ***
      Anti-immigration activists are touting a "black" group as proof that
      theirs is not a racist movement. But the group is largely a creation
      of whites.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0EqW70A1

      *** Ruckus on the Right ***
      Minuteman Project co-founder Chris Simcox has been an icon of the
      anti-immigration movement. But now allies are accusing him of
      improprieties.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FA1z0Ai

      *** Policing the Undocumented ***
      A lawyer writes that passing anti-'illegal alien' laws may be popular,
      but the end result will be costly litigation that localities will
      lose.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0FA110AV

      *** Deadly Force ***
      A profile of Roy Warden, a hard-line anti-immigration activist who
      routinely threatens Latinos with death.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0EqW60Az

      *** The Nativists ***
      A survey of hardliners who are fanning the flames of anti-immigration
      extremism.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0EsF30Ah

      *** The Little Prince ***
      An investigative profile of Minuteman Civil Defense Corps leader Chris
      Simcox.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0EGIZ0Af

      *** Playing Rough ***
      Profiles of some of the more than 40 anti-immigration vigilante
      outfits formed in the first six months after the Minuteman Project.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0DnER0A6

      *** Open Season ***
      A 2003 feature on anti-immigration vigilantes in the pre-Minuteman
      era.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0DcOf0AQ

      *** The Battle of Georgiafornia ***
      A feature on the hate crime backlash against Hispanic immigrants in
      Georgia.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0C6ah0Ay

      *** Arizona Showdown ***
      A feature on the April 2005 Minuteman Project in Arizona.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0DcOg0AR

      For the latest news and updates on activity in the white supremacist,
      antigovernment and patriot movements compiled by the nation's leading
      monitor of extremism, subscribe to the Southern Poverty Law Center's
      Hatewatch Weekly e-newsletter.
      http://newsletter.splcenter.org/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBH6K0MfAwp0L1h0CArl0AW

      Nativist News
      c/o Intelligence Project