Re: [Justiceforbrad] Report back on meeting w/Congressional Rep. Velazquez's staff a week or so ago

  • dorinda moreno
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2008
      On 3/9/08, Robert Jereski <mutualaid@...> wrote:
      Thanks to all who participated! We need more meetings like this across
      the country! And please send us your report backs so we can let others
      know what ACTION activist friends of brad are taking to stop Plan
      Mexico and demand justice for Brad Will and many others murdered in
      Atenco, Oaxaca, and Chiapas by Mexican security forces.

      Report back

      On Thursday February 28th, 2008, Friends of Brad Will met with a top
      staffer of New York's 12th congressional district's Rep. Nydia
      Velázquez. Velázquez is also a democrat, Hispanic and Brad Will lived
      in her District.

      Information was provided to Congresswoman Velazquez's staffer about the
      events surrounding the murder of U.S. citizen and journalist Brad Will
      killed while covering the teachers strike and subsequent uprising of
      people of Oaxaca, Mexico; the status and ineffectiveness of the Mexican
      government's investigation into the  murder of our brother. We urged
      that the Congresswoman publicly speak out against  Bush's Plan Mexico
      (known officially as the "Merida Initiative"), which would use the
      American taxpayers' funds for future violent repression of the people
      of Mexico.

      Velazquez's office expressed a keen interest in the information we
      conveyed, taking many notes. We also mentioned - which they found
      important - that Brad Will's murder had recently received national
      press coverage making the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

      Velazquez's office committed to reviewing the case and the
      investigation of Will's murder. The staffer declared that she would
      chart a course of action with the Congresswoman in the immediate
      future, on the contents of a letter from the Congresswoman to President
      Calderon, Secretary of State Rice and others to underscore the
      importance of the issue to her. She also said she would touch base with
      the Congressional Hispanic Caucus on strategies to oppose Plan Mexico.