El Paso Times - 28 deported after raid on Chaparral schools

  • peaceandjustice2005
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16 6:33 AM
      in this e-mail:

      (1)28 deported after raid on Chaparral schools
      - By Louie Gilot / El Paso Times

      (2)ACLU Reacts to Sweeps of Border Immigrant Communities

      (3) NYTimes.com - Urban Affairs: This Summer's Surprise Hit: An Elm
      City ID

      http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_6897970

      28 deported after raid on Chaparral schools
      - By Louie Gilot / El Paso Times

      Some Chaparral residents reportedly are staying home and not sending
      their children to school after a raid Monday by the Otero County
      (N.M.) Sheriff's Department ended with parents and children being
      deported to Mexico.

      12 Bliss workers detained after immigration checks
      View Full Story - http://preview.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_6897967

      ===========================

      http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_6897970
      http://www.elpasotimes.com

      ACLU Reacts to Sweeps of Border Immigrant Communities

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      September 14, 2007

      CONTACT: Whitney Potter (505) 266 5915 ext. 1003, Cell (505) 507 9898

      LAS CRUCES, NMâ€"The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of New Mexico
      condemned recent immigration raids by Otero and Doña Ana County
      Sheriff's deputies in the border towns of Chaparral and Vado today.
      The local police agencies are assisting Immigration and Customs
      Enforcement officials to conduct sweeps of immigrant neighborhoods,
      knocking on doors and checking identification. Authorities also are
      stopping motorists and entering private businesses.

      The ACLU is investigating multiple reports that sheriff's deputies
      retrieved children from schools and entered homes without consent or
      warrants. The ACLU has filed public records requests with both
      sheriff’s departments seeking information about the collaboration with
      federal immigration agencies.

      “This is irresponsible policing,” said Maria Nape, Director of the
      ACLU's Border Rights office. “Immigrants in these communities may
      never again trust that they can report crimes to sheriff’s deputies,
      even if they are the victims. When local police become border patrol
      agents, it rips a hole in the fabric of public safety that takes years
      to mend. It’s not just immigrants that are affected.”

      The raids stem from a U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
      program called “Operation Stonegarden” which gave New Mexico roughly
      $1.6 million in support of local law enforcement participation in
      immigration enforcement along the border. In total, the four
      Southwest border states received $12 million in grant awards.

      “These raids are symptomatic of the same reactionary policies that
      have failed to address nationwide concerns about immigration for
      decades,” Nape said. “Do we want to live in a country that makes life
      so intolerable for hundreds of thousands of families who live and work
      here that they leave? Or would we rather live in an America that
      brings immigrants out of the shadows of society and enables them to be
      taxpaying, contributing citizens?

      ###

      http://www.aclu-nm.org/News_Events/news_9_14_07.html

      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/16peoplect.html

      The New York Times

      NEW YORK REGION / NEW YORK/REGION SPECIAL | September 16, 2007

      Urban Affairs: This Summer's Surprise Hit: An Elm City ID

      By JEFF HOLTZ

      New Haven.

      ...The card, known as the Elm City Resident Card, is aimed at helping
      illegal immigrants open bank accounts and use city resources like the
      library, pools and beaches.

      Carlos Zuniga, 27, said he was in the country legally and was applying
      for the card because he wanted to open a bank account and hoped that
      it would help him get a job. “And if I’m stopped by the cops, I’ll
      have something to show them,” he said in Spanish through an interpreter.

      Since this city of 125,000 began issuing the cards on July 24, demand
      has been brisk, with over 3,200 issued as of last week.

      “We thought we’d do 5,000 cards in the first year,” Mayor John
      DeStefano Jr. said. “I think we’ll well exceed that.”

      He said the main purpose of the cards was to make the city’s estimated
      10,000 to 15,000 illegal aliens safer. “With the undocumented
      community, street robberies and home invasions were taking place
      because they don’t have bank accounts and they carry large amounts of
      cash,” he said.

      Mr. DeStefano said Bank of America and Sovereign Bank were already
      accepting the cards to open a bank account. He said he expected every
      bank in the city to do the same by the end of the year...

      Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company