9/1: Son joins Elvira Arellano in Mexico

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007

      Please join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to: isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      Son joins deportee in Mexico

      Marco Ugarte / AP
      Immigration activist Elvira Arellano with her U.S.-born son Saul, 8, upon his arrival to Mexico at the International Airport in Mexico City.

      Associated Press
      September 1, 2007

      MEXICO CITY -- The 8-year-old son of deported immigrant activist Elvira Arellano was reunited with her Friday at Mexico City's airport.

      Arellano said she wants her son, Saul, a U.S. citizen, to go to school in her home state of Michoacan so he can learn Spanish.

      Saul, whose first trip to Mexico was in November to ask the Mexican Congress to lobby Washington to stop his mother's deportation, received a Mexican passport from his mother as proof of his newly obtained dual citizenship.

      They plan to renew the boy's U.S. passport, something he could not do in the United States in the absence of his mother.

      Arellano, 32, who was in the U.S. illegally for several years, took sanctuary at Chicago's Adalberto United Methodist Church in defiance of a deportation order. She lived there with her son for a year.

      She left the church in August to attend rallies in Los Angeles and was arrested and deported within hours to Tijuana.

      Saul, who traveled from Chicago with Adalberto United's pastor, the Rev. Walter Coleman, had little to say to reporters. His mother said the boy told her that "he wants to keep fighting so I can go back with him to the United States."

      Arellano said she wanted her son by her side as she fights for the legalization of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. and for the rights of illegal Central American immigrants in Mexico.

      "In this battle he was the one who kept me on my feet," Arellano said. "If I want to keep fighting from here, I need him with me."

      Related News
      9/2: A sanctuary for immigrants
      The movement that spawned Elvira Arellano hopes that showcasing a few individuals will illustrate the plight of millions.

      title=http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=Issues&report=SingleArticle&ArticleID=0951 href="http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=Issues&report=SingleArticle&ArticleID=0951">Read More

      Send check to:

      ActionLA / The Peace Center
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104
      Los Angeles, California 90048

      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest

      The web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
      Please visit: http://www.ActivistDesign.net
      Toll-Free: (888)635-3307

      **Please join our following listservs:

      Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
      send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la

      New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts
      send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert

      US-Mexico Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
      send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Virginia state-wide immigrant organizing E-mail list, send- e-mail to: va-immigrantrights-subscribe@... or visit:  https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/va-immigrantrights

      Immigrant Deportation and Detention Alert!
      send e-mail to: isn-deportees-subscribe@...