The exhibit "African by Legacy, Mexican by Birth"

  • EditorialOpinion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2007

      Dear Colleagues:

      I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to our kick off celebration for the Angeleno Communities Colloquium on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 (5-7 PM). This multidisciplinary project constitutes the first community education program of our UCLA Center for Community Learning's Civic Engagement Minor. It engages artists, scholars, community leaders and public officials in didactic conversations oriented to generate pedagogical resources promoting cultural awareness, tolerance and respect among Los Angeles' diverse communities-particularly children and teenagers.

      The exhibit "African by Legacy, Mexican by Birth" provides a pictographic narrative of the heirs of the first emancipated peoples in the
      Americas-the Yangas of Oaxaca, Guerrero and Veracruz. The exhibit anchors the line of inquiry and praxis for the Angeleno Communities Colloquium-which will explore historical, cultural and socioeconomic commonalities among African American and Latino populations.

      The exhibit opens on Saturday, June 2, 2007 at Galería Mijares-nested in the core of Boyle Heights and it will run through the end of summer. On Tuesday, June 5, 2007 artists Ayana Jackson and Marco Villalobos will offer a lecture at UCLA's University Elementary School  to launch the Angeleno Communities Colloquim with a big

      You will receive additional details in a subsequent message, for the moment please save the date Š I guarantee you it will be an unforgettable experience!

      Cheers,

      Octavio Augusto

      --

      Octavio Pescador Ph.D.,
      Associate Director, UCLA Center for Community Learning

      See what's free at AOL.com.