Top EU Official condemns US border wall

  • Steven L. Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 10:39 PM
      Top EU official criticizes extension of U.S. barriers along border with
      Mexico

      Associated Press
      9:14 p.m. April 17, 2007

      Mexico City - European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana on Tuesday
      criticized U.S. plans to extend barriers along its border with Mexico,
      saying immigrants should not be treated like criminals.

      "A wall that separates one country from another is not something that I like
      or that the European Union members like," Solana said at a news conference
      in Mexico City. "We don't think walls are reasonable instruments to stop
      people from crossing into a country."

      The EU believes immigrants should be treated "like people, not like
      criminals," he said. In October, President Bush signed a bill calling for
      680 miles of new fencing to be built along the border, despite objections
      from the Mexican government.

      Mexico has lobbied for comprehensive immigration reform that would let more
      migrants enter the United States legally.

      More than 11 million Mexicans live in the United States, most illegally.

      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20070417-2114-mexico-eu-borderwall
      .html