4/11 7 PM EST: NISN May Day 2007 Mobilization National Planning Call

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2007
      4/11 7 PM EST: NISN May Day 2007 Mobilization National Planning Call

      Dear Immigrant Right Activists:

      This is the reminder for the May Day 2007 Mobilization National Planning Call Wednesday April 11th, 7 PM EST (6 PM CMT, 4 PM PST).

      Dial-in Number: 1-605-725-3600
      Participant Access Code: 91030

      The agenda of the call will be updates from the local May Day 2007 organizing, as well as the current immigrant legislation.

      Please read the following statement about our position of the recent immigrant legislation proposals from the President Bush and the Congress.

      Sincerely;

      Lee Siu Hin
      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      Our Responds to the Recent President Bush and Congress's Immigration Proposals

      Lee Siu Hin
      National Coordinator
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      April 11, 2007

      Immigrant issue once again become the hot topic at Washington. Last month, the Congress introduced bi-partisan STRIVE Act (The Security Through Regularized Immigration and a Vibrant Economy Act, H.R. 1645), and last week President Bush unveils his new immigration proposal, they both calls for comprehensive immigration reform.

      Bush's proposals, along with Congress's STRIVE Act have many similarities, while they both advocate for "path to the citizenships" includes granting work visas to undocumented immigrants and eventually permanent resident status. But that's a serious flaw--it requires them to return to home and pay hefty fines to become legal U.S. residents, they also need to go though a very tough background check by the government.

      Under President Bush's plan, they could apply for three-year work visas, dubbed "Z" visas, which would be renewable indefinitely but cost $3,500 each time. The undocumented workers would have legal status with the visas, but to become legal permanent residents with a green card, they'd have to return to their home country, apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate to re-enter legally and pay a $10,000 fine, according to the Los Angeles Times.

      Even worse, both bill allows criminalizing the immigrant communities by empowering local police to enforce immigration law, and pushing "tougher" background checks on immigrants.

      The proposal is unrealistic because there's no guarantee when they leave the country, they can return, nor how long it'll take fan applicants to apply and receive their visa at foreign U.S. embassy so they can able to return to the country.

      Giving the facts that past U.S. immigration policies could change-year-to-year from better to worse, there's no guarantee that if the bill passes, "good" element of the bill will be able to keep, but the "bad" elements of the bill will be remain. At the end, it'll force undocumented immigrants to continue to choose "illegal" way to enter and stay in this country, because it cost too much and very difficult to do it "legal" way.

      We cannot accept immigrants need to pay thousands of dollars of "fine" and "fees" to apply for visa, go through the humiliation of tougher background check, and require them to leave country to apply immigrant visas in order to return to the country. This is a immigrant bill that still penalizing undocumented immigrants!

      Furthermore, the Bush proposal and the STRIVE Act both calls for spending billions of dollars to build a so-called a "high-tech" border fence along U.S.-Mexico border, it'll force migrants to go though even more dangerous journey, it'll be creating more border deaths with tragidies, and only fatten the pockets of the migrant smugglers. This is a racist wall because it only target Mexican border but not Canadian border.

      The destiny of 12 millions or more undocumented immigrants is one of the critical human rights issues in the U.S., we need a comprehensive immigration reform bill that will guarantee path to the citizenship with dignity. We cannot accept any bills that will criminalizing immigrant communities and enforcing punishments, because immigrant workers are not "illegal," and we deserve our respects and the basic human rights.

      On May Day 2007, we are calling immigrant, community, labor and human rights activists across the country to organize march and action to support immigrant workers rights. For more information, please visit: http://www.MayDay2007.org

      This is a multi-ethnic, decentralized actions to support immigrant workers rights at May Day 2007, and to denounce President Bush's immigration proposal, and to demand Congress to redraft their propose bill.

      Understanding the connections between our individual conditions of life and the lives of people everywhere in the word allows us to come together and organize across all borders. WE NEED to build a multiethnic unity between: immigrant communities, African American community, labor, interfaith and peace activist to fight for our common goals.

      Let's all come together on May Day 2007, to build a new immigrant rights
      and civil rights movements!

      Send check to:

      ActionLA / The Peace Center
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104
      Los Angeles, California 90048

      (All donations are tax deductible)

      *to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn

      *a monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest

      The web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
      Please visit: http://www.ActivistDesign.net
      Toll-Free: (888)635-3307

      **Please join our following listservs:

      Asian American Labor Activism Alert!
      send-e-mail to: api-la-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la

      New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers information and alerts

      send e-mail to: nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe@...
      or visit: http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert

      US-Mexico Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support Immigrant Rights!
      send e-mail to: Border01-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Immigrant Deportation and Detention Alert!
      send e-mail to: isn-deportees-subscribe@...

      See what's free at AOL.com.