Texas Bill Needs your support

  • annieofaustin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2007
      Sen. Shapleigh of El Paso has introduced a bill in Texas:
      SB 150
      Summary
      Prohibits peace officers from detaining a person based only on the
      person's immigration status or nationality, and from inquiring about a
      person's immigration status if it is not related to a criminal offense.

      Background
      Many police chiefs are against local enforcement of immigration laws,
      as this undermines their ability to build the community trust they
      need to keep the peace. Localities also find the cost of enforcing
      federal immigration polices burdensome.

      Political Context
      This bill is more or less the exact opposite of HB 858

      It has been introduced and is now at the Committee on Criminal Justice.

      Here is the phone number to committe, as well as Sen. who chair it. We
      need to call the committee office, as well as contact members and let
      our voices be heard.

      Clerk: Mahala Price
      Legislature: 80(R) - 2007 Phone: 463-0345
      Room: SHB 470

      Criminal Justice
      Position Member
      Chair: Sen. John Whitmire
      V.Chair Sen. Kel Seliger
      Sen. John Carona
      Sen. Bob Deuell
      Sen. Rodney Ellis
      Sen. Glenn Hegar
      Sen. Juan Hinojosa

      Even though I am not in Sen. Shapleighs district, I also sent him an
      email thanking him for introducing this bill and to show him support.
      His email address is: eamartinez73@...
      Webpage: http://shapleigh.org