07/05/2006 - Fwd: XISPAS: Texas Border Regulators Fight Terrorism, One Mexican at a Time, at Aye Caramba Restaurant El Paso, TX

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2006
      Mikey <mivelarde@...> wrote:
      From: Mikey <mivelarde@...>
      To: atlatlal@...
      Subject: XISPAS: Texas Border Regulators Fight Terrorism, One Mexican at a Time
      Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

      Mikey has sent you a link to a weblog:

      Remember this?

      Blog: XISPAS
      Post: Texas Border Regulators Fight Terrorism, One Mexican at a Time
      Link: http://www.xispas.com/blog/2006/07/texas-border-regulators-fight.html

      Tuesday, July 04, 2006

      Texas Border Regulators Fight Terrorism, One Mexican at a Time

      By Mikey Velarde

      In El Paso, TX, on June 17, Ken Muise, head of the Texas Border Regulators of Fabens, debated former LULAC president, Belen Robles, concerning issues of border security and “illegal” immigration. Both agreed that increasing the former would “solve” the latter. Robles, however, disapproved of vigilantes and watch groups, explaining, “it is the duty of the government to secure our borders.” After the two concluded their speeches, the floor was opened to questions and comments.

      When some audience members claimed that the Minutemen were racist, and by extension the TBR, Muise passionately responded.

      First, they are not a Texas chapter of the Minutemen, he said, but rather, just a “splinter-group” modeled after them.

      Second, he contested, “Anytime a group or an individual for that matter opposes the interests of a minority group, the first term they use is ‘racist.’ I object to that in the strongest terms.”

      Third, “We are not a racist organization. We are just simply a group of Americans who are interested in protecting our borders, which has not been done in forty years.” (From where he got this figure, I’m still not certain, since the U.S. in operational terms has never “controlled” its border.)

      After all, “I don’t think you can afford to be a racist in the Southwest,” he said.

      In response, someone wondered
      1.    if there are any similar groups patrolling the Canadian border,
      2.    and why people are so obsessed with the Mexican one.

      Muise explained that “reports of terrorist cells” have been circulating, and that terrorists can assimilate more easily in Mexico than Canada.

      On that note, I inquired as to why exactly he thought so. “Well, terrorists look like Mexicans,” he asserted very matter-of-factly, “I mean, I can’t tell ‘em apart… It’s hard to tell the difference.” Several TBR supporters agreed.

      (As if “Saudi Arabians,” as one woman mentioned, or all Middle Eastern people, were terrorists. As if all Mexicans looked like them. And, as if terrorism for that matter was limited to an appearance – to a shade of brown.)

      "And that’s not racist," I retorted.

      In a poor attempt to regain his footing in the argument, Muise asked rhetorically,

      “Is profiling really all that... all as bad as it’s cracked up to be?” To his surprise, several voices shouted, yes. One white woman – presumably from a mixed family – gave a chilling account of her moreno brother’s history of repeated abuse, from constantly being asked for his I.D. to getting his arm broken by racist cops. An older Xicano, reaffirmed this, telling of how bad he was treated while serving in the military.

      Of course, Muise, nor any of his gung-ho compatriots could ever counter such testimonies. This is due, in part, to the fact that

      1.   white folk are completely detached from the “debate,” and the consequences of its outcome.

      Their families, by and large, are not the ones being destroyed by deportation. Their mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, friends and other relatives are not the ones frying out in the desert, spilling blood on the fences, nor drowning in the river. Their citizenship and lives are not dependent on which side of the line they appear to be from. (Admittedly, those white people fighting for immigrant rights realize this.)

      When Muise argued that he and his organization are simply just “Americans interested in protecting our borders,” and when he declared he cannot tell the difference between the stereotyped image of a terrorist and the stereotyped image of a Mexican, all he really did was lead me to doubt that all border watch groups – especially the Minutemen – were not just a bunch of racists… because, after hearing all that, It’s hard to tell ‘em apart.

      Mikey Velarde was born and raised in El Paso, TX. He studies Latin American Latino/a Studies at Vassar College, and is also the Photography Curator and an occasional writer for Newspapertree.com. He can be reached @ mivelarde@....