Urgent Action Alert! SOS/Nazis will be in Downtown L.A. Sun 5/21!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2006
      Urgent Action Alert! SOS/Nazis will be in Downtown L.A. Sun 5/21!

      Call to Action!
      1) Call City Council/LA Police Commission why they approved the Minutemen's March Permit?

      2) Mobilize Activist/Community to Turn the Back on Racist Minutemen on 5/21!

      National Immigrant Solidarity Coalition and ActionLA Coalition is outraged to learned that the Los Angeles Police Commission had granted the permit to allow Save Our State (SOS), Minutemen and Ted Hayes's anti-immigrant organizations to march downtown' Broadway this coming Sunday, May 21st.

      http://www.la.indymedia.org/news/2006/05/156424.php

      Gathering/pep at 11am Sunday, May 21st (corner of Olympic & Broadway)
      -March begins sharply at noon!
      -March from noon until 2pm from corner of Olympic/Broadway to City Hall
      -2pm at City Hall - speakers/rally

      This is highly irresponsible for the LAPD to allow racist anti-immigrant group to march at the heart of the Latino shopping district at Broadway, and allow them to rally at LA City Hall.

      Minutemen want to provoke confrontation with the activists and Latino immigrants for the publicity stunt purpose, and to help the right wing Republican anti-immigrant forces "excuses" for passing more anti-immigrant legislation and organize massive immigrant crackdown!

      If we allows this to happen, it will be the slap to the LA immigrant rights movement! Because just 3 months ago the City Hall passed the resolution to prohibit Minutemen activity at the City of LA

      and we just had million people May 1st action and March 25 "Gran Marcha" at the same street!

      Ted Hayes/Minutemen alliance want to challenge the LA City resolution, and to exploit the misconceptions amount African American about the undocumented immigrants to create black-brown tensions and even the black-brown violence in the City.

      We should stand and raise our voice to against the racist Ted Hayes/Minutemen alliance and the 5/21 downtown march, while we'll not let them gain any media publicity opportunities!

      Call to Action!
      1) Call City Council/LA Police Commission why they approved the Minutemen's March Permit?

      2) Mobilize Activist/Community to Turn the Back on Racist Minutemen on 5/21!

      1) Call Your City Council Members and LA Police Commission!

      For the next two days, we encourages everyone to call:

      - Your LA City Council members (for the lists of LA City Council members, please visit: http://www.lacity.org/council.htm),

      - Los Angeles Police Commission (the agency who approves the march permit) 150 North Los Angeles Street, #150 Los Angeles, CA 90012 Tel: 213 / 485-3235, Commission President: John W. Mack.
      Asking them if they know that the Ted Hayes/Minutemen's 5/21 downtown LA march, and why they approve their permit?

      Remind them the LA City Council had passed the resolution on February 3rd to prohibit Minutemen activities in LA (http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/146318.php), and emphasize this is nothing to do with the freedom of speech/assembly.

      Because allowing them to march in downtown LA will giving them a bad signal of LA is allowing racist anti-immigrant groups and their activities, this is the direct violations of the City resolution.

      2) Mobilize Activist/Community to Turn the Back on Racist Minutemen on 5/21!

      We encourage the community activists NOT to organize massive counter-protest along Broadway to confront with them, since Sunday noon at Broadway will be very crowded with president and shoppers and will be very difficult to control the situation.

      Therefore, we suggests activist from multi-ethnic background, if they choose to converge to downtown LA at May 21st for counter-protest, instead of face-to-face protest against them, from the safe distance we turn our backs on them when they march passing-by us at the Broadway. We can have sign and banners but should be keep a safe distance from them.

      We'll not engage in any verbal argument/communication with them (just assume they are not exist).

      We should organize activists to inform the shop owners and merchants along the Broadway Blvd/ about the Minutemen rally on May 21, and suggest when they passing just ignore them and turn their music speakers to the maximum level (to cover their noise).

      By doing so, we can show our message powerful, clear and loud: Minutemen are Not Welcome in LA!

      mail: info@...

      and mail to:
      ActionLA / The Peace Center
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104