WHAT COMES NEXT? The People Will Answer This Important Question

  • Verónica Ingrid Rojas Muñoz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2006

      PLEASE REPOST!!!

      This message will repeat in Spanish

      WHAT COMES NEXT?
      The People Will Answer This Important Question

      Cinco de Mayo, 2006

      None of us would have ever imagined that in a matter of six weeks millions of our people from every community across the US would be in the streets protesting. Hundreds of thousands of our young people walking out into political struggle was an action very few of us have seen with our own eyes.

      Nonetheless, this is what we have lived though in the span of less than two months. The last six weeks have politically transformed our reality as a people, not only within the United States but also throughout Latin America. Nothing will ever go back to how it was before the week of March 20, 2006.

      It is essential now to do a basic assessment of what has been done and what is to come, otherwise the popular momentum will decline (as is inevitable with any spontaneous struggle) and there will be very little permanent qualitative progress for the movement as a whole.

      BEFORE THE PROTESTS
      This movement did not begin six weeks ago, nor was it created by the Democratic Party, the labor unions, the churches, social service agencies, radio and TV personalities. This movement has its origins dating back to 1492 and the conquest of these lands by European powers. This movement has been sustained by innumerable leaders, movements and popular organizations ever since.

      This so-called immigration crisis must be looked at historically first and foremost. As stated, this whole contradiction started in 1492, with the 1848 war against Mexico with the theft of half of Mexican national territory as another historically relevant episode.

      The current 2006 immigration crisis is based on the presence of 15 to 20 million people (primarily from Mexico/Latin America) living within the political borders of the United States illegally, i.e. without permission from the US government. What continental forces are capable of provoking the movement of millions of people out of their home countries into the foreign and hostile country in the north? It is an undeniable fact that the only political, economic and military force capable of producing such a mass movement of people is US imperialism/capitalism.

      Through political interventions the US government has subverted political change in Latin America, sponsored undemocratic, violent, corrupt regimes and undermined popular governments throughout the continent. The result has been terrible poverty, generalized political instability, and popular discontent in every Latin American country.

      Imposing an economic hegemony over Latin America, the US government has promoted generations of self-serving economic policies (most recently with NAFTA and CAFTA). The result has been generalized extreme poverty for hundreds of millions of people.

      With over 60 direct military interventions into Latin America from 1823 to 2004 including coup de etas, blockades, right wing conspiracies, invasions, occupations, and the promotion of civil wars, it is the government of the United States that macro-imposed the Push factors driving millions of people to go north in search of a better life.

      Once inside the US, our labor is exploited directly, while we are blamed for depressing the wages of US citizens. This is by design, as it is US imperialism abroad in conjunction with anti-labor laws domestically that has driven down wages within the US, to the benefit of US corporations and their stockholders. It is no secret that as unemployment goes up, so goes the stock market, the minimum wage has not been raised in three generations, and that more anti-worker legislation has been passed in the last twenty years than in the previous 200 years.

      The only force capable of producing a mass migration of people from Latin America and maximizing profits by coordinating it domestically with anti-worker domestic policies is US imperialism/US capitalism. US imperialism/capitalism bear primary responsibility for the current immigration crisis.

      THE PROTESTS
      The contribution of Union del Barrio to the movement as it relates to the so-called immigration crisis spans 25 years and includes literally thousands of activities: meetings, marches, protests, forums, rallies, hunger strikes, caminatas, press events, etc. Although we did not play a central role in convoking the mass mobilizations of the past six weeks, we do take responsibility for having played an important role in the building of this movement. The last six weeks of unprecedented protests did not occur by magic.

      An odd coalition among the Catholic Church, labor unions, and big business (i.e. US Chamber of Commerce) served as a medium to bring millions of people into the street. Leading from behind was the Democratic Party, looking to recover from its political bankruptcy at the hands of the Republican Party.

      If we are to learn anything from history it must be that it was these same social forces that attempted to control the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s, and in many ways they were promoting the same things. In other words, whether intended or not, these social forces wish to impose on the current social movement the same mistakes of 50 years ago.

      These powerful sectors of the liberal political class within the US have unceasingly called on all our communities to protest while prioritizing US patriotic symbols (US flags), slogans (God Bless America. or Hoy Marchamos, Manana Votamos.) and demands (Comprehensive Immigration Reform). It has been stated that the national flags of Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc. offend US citizens, and if we want comprehensive immigration reform we must be politically sophisticated enough to present patriotic images and avoid at all costs being seen as anti-American. Generally, this covers the liberal perspective in relation to what has occurred over the last six weeks.

      Union del Barrio supports, in principle, the struggle to help people get their papeles fixed, but it is dishonest and unprincipled to present this struggle for so-called Comprehensive Immigration Reform as a pro-US struggle based on patriotic media images and who to offend or not to offend. If people in our communities choose to carry US flags so be it, but when the liberals tell people to leave their national flags at home and force US flags into our hands, this is unacceptable.

      Where have the liberals been over the last 12 years as over 4000 people died at the border? Has the Democratic Party done anything other than move closer to the Republicans these last 12 years? In fact it was under the Democrats that many of the most deadly border policies were implemented such as Operation Gatekeeper in California and Operation Hold the Line in Texas. The liberal political class in the US is ideologically lost, and that they present themselves as our leaders should not be tolerated. It is a sad irony that they see it is reasonable to instruct the victims of US Imperialism to carry the US flag, sing the national anthem (in English and Spanish) and leave their national flags at home. The liberals have found it easy to repeat, The sleeping giant has awaken We disagree the truth is that our people are very much aware of our oppression; it was these self-declared liberal leaders that have been asleep for many years.

      The May 1st National Boycott on the other hand was an important step for rising above the backward positions presented by the liberals. The Gran Paro divided along class lines the liberals from the people, while the criticism from the right wing was based on racism and classism. The Gran Paro took on a life of its own and did not depend on the liberal political class or radio/TV personalities for its diffusion. As a consequence the class and internationalist consciousness of our communities was raised, and a new self-awareness of how much power we could have was developed. The idea of the Gran Paro was an excellent call, we respect the correct analysis of the historical moment, and we supported it as best as we could.

      THE BACKLASH
      Even if 10 million of us march bowing and shuffling our feet, carrying 50 American flags each, singing the national anthem until our eyes pop out, they will hate us anyway. None of that will win the US population to respecting our humanity. On the contrary, we should expect nothing less than a storm of repression, from the state and from racists in general. In Houston the attack on a Latino youth beaten and sodomized for trying to kiss a white girl, the firebombing of a Mexican restaurant in Jamul, California, the death threats against Villaraigosa and Bustamante, and the Migra raids across the country are all recent examples of what inevitably will occur more often. In addition, there are the innumerable individual reprisals from job dismissals and verbal and physical confrontations that don't receive media attention We should expect nothing less than more frequent Border Patrol sweeps, home raids, mass deportations, increasing impunity for agents of the federal government, fostering of vigilante paramilitary organizations and checkpoints surrounding our neighborhoods.

      Right wing critics, minutemen and radio/TV personalities will always find some way to attack our movement. What we have to do is organize ourselves until they become irrelevant. Let them rant and rave, build fences and find offense as they watch our people lose our fear of struggle. They are dishonest buffoons who sooner or later will be exposed for what they are. The day they become honest with their audiences is the day they explain how gas prices, the war in Iraq, low wages, and the immigration crisis are all connected as direct consequences of capitalism. When that day comes, then Lou Dobbs will no longer blame our people for the world the capitalist class created.

      WHAT IS NEXT?
      The only way to win our humanity is though struggle - disciplined, organized, dignified struggle on our own terms, here and throughout Latin America this is what we learned from the Black Power Movement and the Chicano Power Movement of the 1960s and 1970s.

      Union del Barrio once again commits itself to delivering our best effort towards consolidating this social movement. We will continuously support the struggle for progress within our communities, particularly when these struggles are based on freedom and self-determination. We commit ourselves to the construction of human rights committees in every community; to the promotion of independent workers associations in every workplace; to reinforce independent parent committees in every public school; to channel the energy of our barrio youth into political organization; and to the consolidation of a true unity between university students and the community.

      As a movement we must politically define, unite and organize ourselves in order to exert the political power proportionate to our economic power. We must frame this immigration issue within its proper historical context and be able to politically, socially and economically reframe the debate to serves the interests of our people, across all political borders here and in Latin America. Our rights as workers must be recentered in an international sense while set within the framework of our historical oppression.

      With strategies based on community level agitation and organization, our resistance will be organic and mass based, and must be guided under a long-term vision of struggle. We must reinforce the bonds we share with liberation struggles throughout Latin America. We have to look south and forge new levels of organization towards building a continental unity constructing a better future for Nuestra America.

      Concientizacion, Organizacion, Accion, Liberacion

      Union Del Barrio

      www.uniondelbarrio.org

      -------------------Espanol-----------------
      Que Sigue Ahora? El Pueblo lo Decidira

      Cinco de Mayo de 2006

      Nunca nos imaginamos que en menos de seis semanas millones de nuestra gente y de todas las comunidades a traves de los EEUU estara en las calles protestando. Cientos de miles de nuestros jovenes integrandose a la lucha poltica a traves de los walk outs era una accion que muy pocos de nosotros habamos visto con nuestros propios ojos.

      De una manera u otra, esto es lo que hemos vivido en el espacio de menos de dos meses. Las ultimas seis semanas han transformado nuestra realidad politica como pueblo, no solamente en los EEUU, sino que tambien a lo largo y ancho de America Latina. Nada volver a ser como antes de la semana del 20 de marzo de 2006.

      Es esencial, en este momento, el hacer un analisis basico de lo que se ha echo y de lo que vendra, de otra manera el momento popular declinar (como es inevitable con cualquier lucha espontanea) y nos quedar muy poco o nada del avance cualitativo que a ocurrido como movimiento.

      ANTES DE LAS PROTESTAS
      Este movimiento no empezo hace seis semanas, ni lo forma el partido Democrata, ni las uniones sindicales, ni las iglesias, ni las agencias de servicios sociales, ni las radios o las personalidades de la television. Este movimiento tiene su origen en el ano 1492, cuando empezo la conquista de estas tierras por el poder europeo. Este movimiento a sido sostenido por innumerables lideres, grupos y organizaciones populares desde el momento mismo en que esta conquista da comienzos.

      Primero, y antes que nada, esta llamada crisis de inmigracion tiene que ser estudiada en sus aspectos historicos. Como lo habamos dicho, toda esta gran contradiccion da comienzos en 1492. Con la guerra de 1848 en contra de Mexico y que entrega como resultado el robo de ms de la mitad del territorio nacional, se agrega otro episodio historico relevante.

      La crisis migratoria esta basada en la presencia de unos 15 a 20 millones de personas (la mayora proveniente de Mexico y de America Latina) que viven en los EEUU en forma ilegal o, en otras palabras, sin el permiso del gobierno de los Estados Unidos. Que fuerza continental es capaz de hacer abandonar sus patrias a millones y millones de personas para irse al poco amigable pais del norte ? Es innegable que la unica fuerza politica, economica y militar capaz de producir semejante fenomeno es el imperialismo/capitalismo estadounidense.

      Con el tutelaje de regimenes antidemocarticos, violentos y corruptos e intervenciones politicas. Con los ataques directos e indirectos a los gobiernos populares a lo largo y ancho del continente Latino Americano el gobierno de los Estados Unidos a destruido la posibilidad de cambios politicos en America Latina. El resultado a sido una terrible pobreza, politicas inestables y un descontento generalizado en cada uno de los pases de Latino America.

      Al imponer una economia dominante sobre Latino America, el gobierno de los EEUU esta promoviendo una serie de reglas economicas de autoservicio (las mas recientes son el NAFTA el CAFTA, y el ALCA). Como resultado a estas reglas neoliberales Latino America envia a la extrema pobreza a cientos de millones de gentes.

      Con mas de 60 intervenciones militares directas o indirectas en America Latina desde el ano 1823 al ano 2004 e incluyendo golpes de estados, bloqueos economicos, conspiraciones de extrema derecha, invasiones y la promocion de guerras civiles, el gobierno de los Estados Unidos ha sido el que a impuesto el factor decisivo para que millones de personas se muden al norte en busca de una mejor vida.

      Al llegar al interior del territorio estadounidense, nuestra fuerza de trabajo es explotada en forma directa mientras nos echan la culpa de que los salarios se mantienen bajos producto de nuestra presencia. Bajo este esquema, que es el esquema del imperialismo estadounidense, y en conjunto con las leyes y reglas anti-obreras que se mantienen en forma domestica, se beneficia a las grandes corporaciones y sus bolsas de valores. No es ningun secreto que mientras el desempleo sube, tambien sube la bolsa de valores. Es por esto que en este pais los salarios minimos no han sido subidos en tres generaciones y, en la parte legislativa, en los ultimos 20 aos se han pasado mas leyes anti-obrera que en los anteriores 200 anos.

      La unica fuerza capaz de producir exodos masivos de personas desde Latino America e incrementar las ganancias coordinando las leyes anti-obreras en forma domestica, es el imperialismo/capitalismo estadounidense. Por lo cual la responsabilidad mayor de esta crisis de inmigracion es del imperialismo de los Estados Unidos.

      LAS PROTESTAS
      La participacion y contribucion de Union del Barrio al movimiento relacionado con la llamada crisis migratoria abarca mas de 20 anos e incluye miles de actividades: reuniones, marchas, protestas, foros, demostraciones, huelgas de hambre, caminatas, eventos de prensa, etc. Aunque no jugamos un papel central convocando a las movilizaciones de masas en las pasadas seis semanas, tomamos responsabilidad al jugar un papel importante en la construccion de este movimiento. Las protestas sin precedente de las ultimas seis semanas no ocurrieron por arte de magia.

      Una extrana coalicion entre la iglesia catolica, los sindicatos y los grandes negocios (como la Camara de Comercio de los Estados Unidos) sirvio como medio para atraer millones de gente a las calles. Guiando desde atras estaba el Partido Democrata, buscando desesperadamente una recuperacion rapida de su bancarrota politica, responsabilidad esta, del Partido Republicano.

      Lo minimo que tenemos que aprender de la historia es que estas mismas fuerzas sociales fueron las que trataron de controlar los Movimientos de los Derechos Civiles en los cincuentas y sesentas, y en diferentes formas estaban promoviendo exactamente lo mismo. En otras palabras, con o sin intencion, estas fuerzas sociales deseaban imponer en el movimiento social actual los mismos errores cometidos 50 anos atras.

      Estos fuertes sectores de las politicas liberales de los Estados Unidos hicieron incesantes llamados a todas nuestras comunidades a protestar al mismo tiempo que le daban prioridad a los simbolos patriticos estadounidenses (la bandera de EEUU), las consignas (Que dios bendiga a America o hoy marchamos, manana votamos) y demandas (una Reforma Migratoria Completa) Se dijo que nuestros emblemas nacionales de Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala etc. podan ser ofensivos para los ciudadanos estadounidenses, y si queramos una reforma migratoria completa tengamos que ser lo suficiente sofisticados politicamente para presentar una imagen patriotica y abolir a toda costa la posibilidad de hacernos ver como anti-americano. En general esto cubre la perspectiva liberal en relacion a lo ocurrido durante las ultimas seis semanas.

      En principio Union del Barrio apoya la lucha para ayudar a la gente a regularizar los papeles, pero seria totalmente deshonesto y sin principios el presentar la lucha para una Reforma Migratoria Completa como una lucha en pro de los Estados Unidos basada en imagenes patrioticas y a quien ofende y a quien no ofende. Si nuestra gente en nuestros barrios deciden enarbolar la bandera de EEUU, que as sea. Pero cuando los liberales les dicen a nuestra gente que deje sus banderas nacionales en sus casas y los fuerce a llevar una bandera estadounidense es inaceptable.

      Donde estaban los liberales en los ultimos 12 aos mientras mas de 4,000 personas moran en la frontera? El Partido Democrata no ha echo nada ms que tratar de acercarse al Partido Republicano estos ultimos 12 anos? De echo, fue durante los periodos Democratas que las leyes de migracion ms sangrientas fueron establecidas tales como la Operacion Gatekeeper en California, o la Operacion Hold the Line en Texas. La clase politica liberal de los Estados Unidos esta ideologicamente perdida, y si estos se presentan como nuestros lideres es algo que no se puede tolerar. Es ironicamente triste el ver que ellos vean razonable el instruir a las victimas de su imperialismo que saquen banderas de los EEUU solamente, que entonen el himno nacional estadounidense (en ingles y espanol) y que dejen sus banderas patrias en sus casas. A los liberales se les a echo fcil repetir que el gigante dormido a despertado. Nosotros no estamos de acuerdo con esto. La verdad es que nuestro pueblo esta bastante conciente de la opresion que sufre; son los autodeclarados lideres liberales los que por muchos anos estaban durmiendo.

      El boicot del primero de mayo, por otro lado, fue un paso importante para tomar distancia y diferenciarse de las posiciones retrogradas presentadas por los liberales. El Gran Paro divide a los liberales del pueblo, mientras que la critica desde la derecha se basaba en el racismo y en el clasismo. El Gran Paro toma vida propia y se aleja de la dependencia de la clase politica liberal y de las personalidades de radio y television para su difusion. Como consecuencia de esto la conciencia internacionalista y de clase de nuestro pueblo se eleva, y de nuevo nos damos cuenta de cuanto poder podemos tener y desarrollar. La idea de un Gran Paro fue una excelente idea, respetamos ese analisis historico correcto del momento, y lo apoyamos lo mejor que pudimos.

      EL TIRO POR LA CULATA
      Si 10 millones de nosotros marcharemos zapateando y gritando, llevando con nosotros 50 banderas estadounidenses cada uno, cantando el himno nacional de los Estados Unidos (en ingles tanto como en espaol) hasta quedar roncos, de todas formas ellos nos odiaran. Nada de esto ayudara a los estadounidenses a respetar nuestra humanidad. Al contrario, no debemos esperar nada mas ni nada menos que una lluvia de represion de parte de los racistas y del estado imperante. En Houston, el ataque a un joven latino, golpeado y sodomizado por dos jovenes blancos por tratar de besar a una muchacha blanca, la bomba incendiaria tirada contra un restaurante mexicano en Jamul, la amenaza de muerte de Villaraigosa y de Bustamante y las redadas de la Migra a traves de todo el territorio nacional son algunos ejemplos recientes de que lo inevitable siempre ocurrir. Sumado a esto estan las innumerables represalias en el trabajo y confrontaciones verbales y fisicas que no llaman la atencion de la prensa y de los medios de comunicacion. No podemos esperar nada menos que redadas mas frecuentes de la Patrulla Fronteriza, allanamientos de nuestras casas, deportaciones masivas, incremento de la impunidad para los agentes del gobierno federal, proteccion de parte del gobierno a grupos de vigilantes paramilitares y mas retenes de revision rodeando nuestros barrios.

      La derecha, los minutemen y las personalidades de radio y television encontraron siempre la forma de atacar nuestro movimiento. Lo que nosotros tenemos que hacer es organizarnos de tal manera que estos seores pasen a ser irrelevantes. Hay que dejar que ellos griten y zapateen, que construyan murallas y se sientan ofendidos mientras estan observando como nuestro pueblo pierde el miedo a la lucha. Ellos son los bufones deshonestos que mas temprano que tarde mostraran lo que realmente son. El da en que ellos se transformen en gente honesta ser el da en que puedan explicarnos como los altos precios de la gasolina, la guerra en Irak, los bajos salarios y la crisis de inmigracion estan todos conectados entre si y son consecuencias directas del capitalismo. Cuando ese da llegue, ser el da en que Lou Dobbs no culpar mas a nuestro pueblo por el mundo que ellos mismos han creado.

      QUE ES LO QUE SIGUE?
      La unica manera de ganar nuestra humanidad es a traves de la lucha disciplinada, organizada- una lucha digna en nuestros propios terminos, aqui y en todo America Latina esto es lo que aprendimos de las luchas del Movimiento Negro y del Movimiento Chicano de los sesentas y de los setentas.

      Union del Barrio se compromete una vez mas a entregar nuestros mejores esfuerzos para consolidar este movimiento social. Nosotros continuaremos apoyando la lucha por el progreso de nuestras comunidades, particularmente cuando estas luchas estan basadas en la libertad y la autodeterminacion. Nos comprometemos a formar comites en defensa de los derechos humanos en cada comunidad, nos comprometemos a la promocion de asociaciones independientes de trabajadores en cada lugar de trabajo; a reesforzar los comites de padres en cada escuela publica; a encausar la energia de nuestros jovenes hacia organizaciones politicas; en fin, nos comprometemos a la consolidacion de una unidad verdadera entre los estudiantes universitarios y la comunidad.

      Como movimiento tenemos la obligacion de definir y organizarnos para poder ejercer el poder politico en forma proporcionada a nuestro poder economico. Tenemos que encuadrar la problematica de inmigracion politica, social y economicamente para que pueda servir mejor a los intereses de nuestro pueblo a traves de toda frontera politica aqui y en America Latina. Nuestros derechos como trabajadores tienen que ser considerados en un sentido internacional bajo los delineamientos de nuestra propia opresion historica.

      Con estrategias de agitacion y organizacion a nivel de la comunidad, estas estaran organica y masivamente basadas y tienen que ser guiadas bajo terminos de lucha de largo plazo. Tenemos que reesforzar los lazos que compartimos con las luchas de liberacion a traves de toda America Latina. Tenemos que empezar a mirar al sur y forjar nuevos niveles de organizacion hacia la construccion de una unidad continental para obtener un futuro mejor para la patria grande - Nuestra America.

      --
      Verónica I. Rojas Muñoz

      Fax: (909) 595-5394
      Cell: (626) 315-1705