5/14 Urgent Action Alert! A Call for A National Immigrant Solidarity Movement!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2006
      Urgent Action Alert!
      The Upcoming Battle Against Anti-Immigrant Legislation, And A Call for A National Immigrant Solidarity Movement

      An Call From National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      May 14, 2006

      Folks:

      Next week will be a key moment in immigrant rights/civil rights work.

      Tomorrow evening (Monday, 5/15), President Bush will deliver a prime time televised address, announcing the deployment of National Guard troops to the U.S-Mexico border. Also at some point in the next two weeks, U.S. Senate leaders are expected to approve parts of the so-called compromise immigrant legislation (such as the HEGAL-MARTINEZ Bill).

      This is a critical moment for the immigrant struggle. Despite millions of people across the country on May 1st marching in the streets for immigrant rights, the right wing anti-immigrant forces in Congress and President Bush want to "talk tough on immigration."

      We should brace ourselves for the ultimate showdown of the immigrant struggle soon, and we should mobilize ourselves quickly to respond to the racist anti-immigrant xenophobia that will go down.

      We suggest organizing the following actions:

      1) A local press conference, rally or vigil to denounce the racist anti-immigrant proposals from Congress and the President.

      2) Legislative actions, including calling, writing and faxing your elected officials.

      3) An emergency community meeting to strategize rapid response to a possible nationwide crackdown or attack on immigrants.

      4) We are calling for multi-ethnic, broad-based national mobilization on Memorial Day weekend (5/27-29). Organize creative local actions against the possible passage of any anti-immigrant legislation and further government-sponsored immigrant crackdowns.

      We urge you to support the Nine Points for Immigrant Rights, proposed by the Los Angeles March 25th Coalition:

      - No to the anti-immigrant HR4437 and any other "copycat" legislation from Congress
      - No to militarization of the border
      - No to criminalization of immigrant communities
      - No to the planned immigrant crackdown across the country
      - No to the guest worker program

      - Yes to amnesty for undocumented immigrants
      - Yes to immigrant family reunification
      - Yes to a humane path to citizenship
      - Yes to labor rights and living wages for all workers

      On May 1st, we showed the world that our force, our strength and our voice  cannot be silenced from this moment on! This is the birth of a new civil rights movement for the 21st century, and we will fight for our demands until we prevail.

      United We'll Win!  Together We'll Achieve Our Dreams!

      mail: info@...

      and mail to:
      ActionLA / The Peace Center
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104