IMMIGRATION ACTION ALERT AGAINST HEGAL-MARTINEZ: NO DEAL! NO COMPROMISE!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2006
      Action Alert!

      http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org
      May 11, 2006

      NO DEAL! NO COMPROMISE! NO HAGAL-MARTINEZ!

      SEND A FAX OR EMAIL THIS LETTER (BELOW) DIRECTLY TO SENATOR REID AND MARTINEZ! TODAY!

      WHY?
      WE WANT REAL JUST AND FAIR IMMIGRATION REFORM.
      A FAIR AND JUST PATH TOWARDS CITIZENSHIP
      NO ROADBLOCKS AND LOOPHOLES TO DISQUALIFY WORKERS AND THEIR FAMILIES FROM LEGALIZATION!

      TO SEND AN EMAIL, JUST SEND IT FROM SENATOR REID'S WEBSITE: THIS WILL TAKE 2 MINUTES!
      http://reid.senate.gov/email_form.cfm

      TO SEND A FAX, JUST FAX THE LETTER BELOW TO: 202-224-7327 (FAX #)
      HIS OFFICE PHONE: 202-224-3542

      TO CONTACT MARTINEZ CALL:
      Senator Mel Martinez: (202) 224-3041

      TO SEND AN EMAIL TO MARTINEZ USE EMAIL FORM ONLINE:
      http://martinez.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactInformation.ContactForm&CFID=1590349&CFTOKEN=41935956

      Senate Switchboard for other senators: (202) 224-3121

      SIGN YOUR NAME AND/OR ORGANIZATION IF YOU HAVE ONE. INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS.

      DON'T WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE, DO THIS TODAY! SAMPLE LETTER BELOW

      May 11, 2006

      Senator Reid

      Washington, DC 20510

      Dear Senator Reid

      It is the position of the
      _________________________________ in conjunction with many other immigrant, faith, social justice, labor, peace, human and civil rights organizations, as well as other concerned communities that support the human and civil rights of immigrants, to oppose the so called immigration reform proposals that are presently being negotiated in the U.S. Senate.

      Specifically, we adamantly oppose H.R. 4437, as well as all of the compromise bills such as the Hagel -Martinez and other compromise proposals presented in the Senate.

      In a re-ignited civil rights movement, millions of immigrants, their families, neighbors and co-workers, along with faith and labor leaders, peace and justice advocates, have marched and rallied in cities across the U.S
      . Nearly 2 million on marched on March 25th in Los Angeles, and well over a million on May 1st, but for one day, along with tens of millions of other souls in the U.S. and beyond, we observed the “The Great American Boycott 2006” during which millions of dollars were lost and millions more unspent, in a symbolic act of dignity, peace, and hope, but mainly in solidarity and celebration for the contributions that the many undocumented workers living on the fringe in the U.S., make to the economy.  Moreover, the mobilizations have served as a wake-up call for the whole country to acknowledge the vital role of immigrants as co-workers, neighbors and vital, viable members of our broad society.

      In this spirit, we call upon members of Congress and the Administration to stop masquerading the current proposals as immigration reform.  We demand nothing less than immigration policies that are fair and just, and that respect the rights and dignity of all immigrants and other members of our society.

      As details of the current legislative compromise become known, the voices of immigrant communities are becoming louder, to reject the proposals for a so called legalization program, we are denouncing the further erosion of human and civil rights through the enforcement and criminalization provisions.  The stakes are considerably high now, and the debate affects us all, therefore we cannot allow the current proposals to be enacted as this generation’s flawed immigration reform legacy.  What some are calling a “path to citizenship” in the last Senate bill is merely a massive temporary worker program without worker protections.  The proposed 3-tiered temporary worker program offers little hope for broad inclusive legalization of undocumented immigrants, and these proposals would further erode already weak labor protections and rights for immigrants and other workers.

      The rush to reach a bipartisan accord on immigration legislation has led to a compromise that would create deep divisions within the immigrant community and leave millions of undocumented immigrants in the shadows of our country.  It is clear that these trade-off deals are based on election-year campaigning and demands by business lobbyists, rather than on the best interests and voices of immigrant communities.

      We pledge to increase public education efforts and the building and mobilization of meaningful alliances, and we will encourage and support immigrant community leadership to advance real immigration reform. We call upon Congress and the Administration to heed the voices of immigrant communities demanding genuine immigration reforms: real legalization, equitable inclusion in our society, justice, and respect for humankind.

      In unity,

      We say, “No deal!”  “No Compromise” We encourage the Senate to join us in saying, “No deal!” “No Compromise”
      * Text Partially Extracted from the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights National Statement to Support Human and Civil Rights for All Immigrants And to Oppose Compromise Immigration Reform Proposals.

      =================================

      mail: info@...

      and mail to:
      ActionLA / The Peace Center