Minutemen and Church Activists Rally in Irvine

  • Steven L. Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2006
      (Evidence that the anti-immigrant and religious right are making common
      cause. SR)

      Minutemen And Church Activists Rally In Irvine

      (CBS) IRVINE, Calif. Activists from the Minuteman Project and a Buena Park
      church gathered for a "pro-America" demonstration against amnesty for
      illegal immigrants and to support secure borders.

      First Southern Baptist Church Pastor Wiley Drake encouraged participants to
      "bring the biggest American flags that you can." The rally started at 10
      a.m. on the corner of Irvine Center Drive and Alton Parkway in Irvine and
      will last until 2 p.m.

      Drake said the Minutemen Project was a misunderstood group and was not
      anti-immigrant or racist. In recent months, the Minutemen Project created
      controversy by enlisting volunteers to patrol the U.S./ Mexican border in
      search of those crossing the border illegally.

      "We don't call it anti-immigration, we call it a pro-American rally. We're
      not against immigrants," Drake said. "It's a moral issue. They're (illegal
      immigrants) living in the shadows."

      Drake said his church often helps immigrants become legal by helping with
      paperwork. He claimed illegal immigrants cause traffic problems and hurt the
      economy because they lack insurance and work for less wages than most
      Americans would.

      "The people (illegal immigrants) are being misused and being paid
      ridiculously low wages," he said. "That's hurting us and them."

      © 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc

      http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_126142838.html