Lee Siu Hin: May Day 2006 - We Have Made History! And the Next Step

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
       May Day 2006 - We Have Made History!

      Tens of Millions Across the Country Take to the Streets to Demand Immigrant Rights!

      The May 1st "A Day Without Immigrants" National  Movement

      http://www.NoHR4437.org     http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org

      Today was one of the most important days in U.S. history: tens of
      millions of immigrants, activists and allies in over 200 cities from across the country chose to skip work, school, and the normal daily routine to participate in "A Day Without Immigrants." We held a national boycott, general strikes, rallies and symbolic actions in order to demand basic rights for all immigrants, and to build a new multi-ethnic united civil rights movement for the 21st century!

      This could be the biggest civil rights/social movement ever seen in
      U.S. history. Millions flooded the streets of Los Angeles and essentially shut down the city. In New York City, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, together with half a million Latino, African and Asian immigrants marched into the heart of Manhattan. In Chicago, hundreds of thousands mobilized for this May 1st march.

      We have shown the world that our force, our strength and our voice  cannot be silenced from this moment! and we'll fight for our demands until we prevail.

      What should the next step be?
      This is an historical turning point for us, and we need to keep the momentum going. Over the next three months, we need to gather our strength and build a new, national, broad-based immigrant rights/civil
      rights movement

      This could include (and is not limited to):
      - Holding a national dialogue or conference;
      - Creating together a national strategy;
      - Forming a new broad-based national immigrant rights/civil rights

      These are just some ideas to consider: we encourage you to come up with more. We welcome everyone to participate in the process and offer us support and feedback, and we'll announce the details within the next few days.

      Thanks to everyone who helped make history today. I am proud of you!

      United We'll Win!  Together We'll Achieve Our Dreams!

      May 1st, 2006

      "El Gran Paro Americano 2006" "The Great American Boycott 2006"
      "Un dia sin immigrante"  "A day without an immigrant"

      Nationwide Immigrant General Strike Wear White T-Shirt at May 1!

      http://www.NoHR4437.org    http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org

      Toll-Free: (800)598-6379

      Endorse the May 1 General Strike >>

      Click Here

      List of Endorsers

      Join the May 1 Planning List! >> Click Here

      Please Donate to the May 1 Organizing >> Donate

      mail: info@...

      and mail to:
      ActionLA / The Peace Center
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104