Support day laborers in Lake Forest, Saturday, March 4th, 8 am-12 noon

  • Duane Roberts
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello everybody:

      We're asking that activists from all over Southern
      California come out this Saturday to help monitor and
      demonstrate against the SOS/Minuteman supporters that
      are harrassing the day laborers in Lake Forest.

      Although between 20 and 30 SOS/Minuteman types came
      out last Saturday, the day laborers were better
      organized and more assertive in defending their
      rights. Some of their families came out in support.

      In addition to this, several Lake Forest residents,
      including a number of young teenagers, told the crowd
      of SOS/Minuteman that had assembled to quit bugging
      the day laborers and go home.

      Activists also kept a close eye on the behavior of
      Orange County Sheriff's Deputies who patrolled the
      area to ensure they did not trample on the First
      Amendment rights of the day laborers.

      At a prior demonstration, Sheriff's Deputies allegedly
      threatened day laborers and supporters with arrest for
      engaging in constitutionally protected activities.
      That didn't happen last Saturday.

      In fact, Sheriff's Deputies appeared to have been
      irked by the fact that SOS/Minuteman supporters kept
      calling them up via cellphone asking them to come out
      to protect them from non-existent threats.

      We're expecting the same number of SOS/Minuteman to be
      out in Lake Forest this weekend. So if you can come
      and support the day laborers, it would be deeply
      appreciated. The more people the better.

      WHEN: Saturday, March 4, 2006
      8 am - 12 noon

      WHERE: 25262 Jeronimo Road
      Lake Forest, California

      See map for further details:

      http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=25262+Jeronimo+Road+&csz=Lake+Forest+CA+&Get%A0Map=Get+Map

      To see the kind of threats and harrassment that the
      day laborers have had to put up with in Lake Forest
      from SOS/Minuteman supporters, please view the
      following videos:

      http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2006/02/1inch_in_lf_feb_18_06.wmv

      http://la.indymedia.org/uploads/2006/02/br_says_f_guatemala.wmv

      http://mail.yahoo.com