Fwd: COLLECTIVO TONANTZIN’S RESPONSE TO ARREST OF COYOTL TEZCALIPOCA - TODAY @ 6 pm!

  • Duane Roberts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2006
      please come!!! please forward far and wide!!!!!!!!

      F O R I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E

      COLLECTIVO TONANTZIN’S RESPONSE TO ARREST OF
      COYOTL TEZCALIPOCA AT COSTA MESA CITY COUNCIL

      On Tuesday, January 3, approximately 100 people,
      including members of the
      Tonantzin Collective, converged upon the Costa Mesa
      City Council’s decision
      to train city police to enforce immigration law. The
      measure was approved
      by the Council on December 7, 2005. Costa Mesa will be
      the first city in the
      United States to merge police and immigration duties.

      The proposal raises concern among Mexicans and Central
      Americans
      throughout Orange County. Brown-skinned people will be
      subject to racial
      profiling, based on appearance and surname. The
      measure will also erode
      relations between immigrants and police, as immigrants
      will fear reporting
      crimes. Furthermore, vigilantism may increase, as
      residents may attack
      and harass people they believe to be undocumented.

      During the last council meeting, Coyotl Tezcalipoca, a
      member of the
      Tonantzin Collective, was arrested during public
      comments. After innocently
      requesting the audience to stand up in support of
      immigrant rights,
      Mayor Allan Mansoor cut him off before his time was
      up. Before he had a
      chance to leave the podium, several police officers
      surrounded him and
      forcefully took him into custody, violating his right
      to free speech and
      assembly. Video footage taken by a Spanish language
      television station shows
      a police officer kicking him while on the ground. On
      the other hand, supporters
      of the Mayor’s proposal were not subjected to the same
      kind of treatment
      when they did the same thing.

      A press conference will be held today at Costa Mesa
      City Hall:

      WHEN: Thursday, January 05, 2006

      TIME/WHERE: Press conference begins at 6 PM at the
      Costa Mesa City Hall
      77 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa

      Speakers will address the following issues: 1) the
      re-opening of the day labor
      Site, 2) the withdrawal of the vote that will give
      power to certain police officers
      to enforce immigration laws, 3) the recall of city
      council members who
      voted for the closure of the day labor site and the
      proposal that will give power
      to police officers to enforce immigration laws, and 4)
      that all criminal charges be
      dropped against Coyotl Tezcalipoca.

      Press contacts:

      Coyotl Tezcalipoca (714) 235-0801