Anti-Immigrant Politics Come to Colorado

  • Steven L. Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Border Wars Colorado Eyes Arizona's Prop 200 To Stop Illegals

      By Michael Conniff, 10-04-05

      http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/3644/C43/L37

      How bad has the battle over illegal immigration become? Three Colorado state
      legislators are in Arizona today, patrolling the Mexican border with the
      Minutemen civilian militia group. The mission for the legislators: to see
      just how bad things might get if nothing is done about illegal immigrants.

      Led by David Schultheis, a Republican from Colorado Springs, the lawmakers
      are also in Arizona to study the value of bringing Proposition 200—the
      measure passed by voters in Arizona last year to stop healthcare and welfare
      services for immigrants—and they are considering additional measures to make
      it illegal for illegals to buy property in the state. Under the plan
      scheduled for introduction in the next session of the Colorado legislature,
      people who work in the food business would also have to produce a photo ID
      and fingerprints.

      The passage of such a measure would have a profound impact on Aspen,
      Snowmass, and other towns in the Roaring Fork Valley, where Mexican
      immigrants—legal and illegal—have become the backbone of the work force,
      supplanting the prototypical and historical ski bums with people who eschew
      the slopes as they pursue the American dream.

      The implications of the visit by the legislators— Schultheis and two other
      Republicans, Bill Crane of Arvada and Jim Welker of Loveland— is potentially
      profound, according to coverage in The Denver Post. Arizona State
      Representative Russell Pearce has also been approached by legislators in
      other states, including Alabama, Idaho, Oklahoma, and Utah. "We must secure
      the borders," Pearce told reporter Elizabeth Aguilera. "You simply have to
      know who is coming in," Pearce said. "I don't blame those folks seeking a
      better way of life. I blame our government for failing to ... secure our
      borders."