4/2005 - ( CD - Minutemen ) What border residents think of migrants and Minutemen...

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 1:02 PM
      AZ Daily Star

      >What border residents think of migrants and Minutemen
      >
      >By Michael Marizco
      >ARIZONA DAILY STAR
      >DOUGLAS - To hear a Minuteman Project volunteer tell it, people are
      being
      >robbed, raped and beaten by illegal entrants along this stretch of the
      >Arizona-Mexico border.
      >
      >Ask California activists, and they'll tell you how Arizona has become
      the
      >hate-state epicenter of the country.
      >
      >In the latest immigration debate, perception has become more damaging
      >this small border town than reality.
      >
      >And the people who live along this stretch of the border are getting a
      >little tired of it all.
      >
      >"There's been people tied up and robbed; I talked to one guy who said
      he
      >was robbed three different times," says Minuteman volunteer Freddy
      Puckett,
      >a button that says "Kiss Me, I'm Ugly" pinned to his camouflage boonie
      hat.

      >"People are scared to death out here," the Cochise resident says.
      >
      >There's little evidence of it because people are afraid to talk, said
      his
      >fellow Minuteman, Oracle resident Ron Johnson.
      >
      >In Palominas, John Evans watches Minuteman volunteers drive past. He
      used
      >to think they were vigilantes until he met them and found they were
      "pretty
      >nice guys giving up a lot of their time for us."
      >
      >He hasn't had many problems with illegal entrants or property crime,
      but
      >Evans said he supports what the Minuteman Project is doing.
      >
      >"What they're doing is going to spur some action," he said. "Something
      >needs to be done."
      >
      >But other border residents like Darrell Van der Werf, view the
      >self-described border guards as more of a nuisance than the illegal
      >entrants.
      >
      >"They drive too fast, they go by making dust. Then they go
      out into
      the hot
      >sun under an umbrella and sit there. What the hell is that?" the
      Bisbee
      >Junction resident says.
      >
      >"These people ain't got nothing else to do."
      >
      >In 30 years, he's been broken into once. The burglar, presumably an
      illegal
      >entrant, stole his gun but forgot to take the cylinder and stole a
      meatloaf
      >that had gone bad.
      >
      >"I hope he got sick off it," he said. "But the Mexicans never bother
      >anybody."
      >
      >For 63 years, Lorene Hardt has lived on Border Road south of Bisbee in
      >tree-covered home where she raised three children less than a
      quarter-mile
      >north of the border.
      >
      >A decade ago, she was among the victims of a three-year string of 15
      armed
      >robberies by border bandits initially thought to have come from
      Mexico.
      >They turned out to be teenagers from nearby Bisbee and Naco.
      >
      >Hardt said she's
      never run across an illegal entrant even though her
      home
      >sits near one of the stretches of barbed-wire borderline the Minuteman
      >volunteers patrol. Her encounters with migrants are limited to the
      water
      >jugs and other trash the people leave behind.
      >
      >She's never seen a Minuteman either.
      >
      >She did hear there was a group up the road from her place the other
      day.

      >Illegal entrants? Minutemen?
      >
      >"No, I heard there was a group of reporters," she said.
      >
      >Maryann Vell, 78, is a border activist from up near Willcox who
      travels
      >down to volunteer in the project twice a week. Border problems are
      nothing
      >new, she says, but now there are too many coming too fast.
      >
      >"They'll destroy us and destroy our world if it weren't for patriotic
      >people like us."
      >
      >She's "very disappointed" more Arizonans haven't joined the Minuteman
      >Project.
      >
      >Ben Leiendecker, 80, will tell you different.
      >
      >"I'm my own Minuteman!" he said.
      >
      >The Palominas rancher keeps a .45-caliber pistol under his bed and has
      >planned out how he'll react to a gunfight when the drug smugglers come
      for
      >him.
      >
      >He's faced problems with illegal entrants his whole life, he said.
      >
      >"They trash my pasture, they cut my fences. I'll spend half a day
      >straightening the fence where they bend it to cross through," he said.
      >"I'll tell you something: My family has lived here since 1912 and I'll
      >fight to the death to stay here some more."
      >
      >His type of complaint is more common than the raping and pillaging the
      >Minuteman volunteers discuss, county officials say.
      >
      >The Cochise County Sheriff's Department, which covers most the border
      area
      >except for Douglas, responds mainly to property crime reports on
      the
      >border, said department spokeswoman Carol Capas.
      >
      >But other things do happen. In January 2004, the Sheriff's Department
      >started a volunteer patrol in Palominas after a woman and her daughter
      were
      >beaten and stabbed by three illegal entrants. Last month, an
      AK-47-toting
      >gunman led police on a high-speed chase from Interstate 10 and nearly
      made
      >it back to Mexico before he ran into a wall of federal gunfire north
      of
      >Douglas.
      >
      >But it's been about 10 years since border-related crime was a serious
      issue
      >in Cochise County, she said. By contrast, there have been four cases
      of
      >illegal entrants beaten and robbed by border bandits in the past year,
      she
      >said.
      >
      >In Douglas, word of another protest, this one planned to shut down the
      port
      >of entry and boycott Douglas businesses, has local officials and
      merchants
      >fuming.
      >
      >The lead organizer for that protest, Armando Navarro, a University of
      >California-Riverside professor and head of the National Alliance for
      Human
      >Rights, said he's canceled the planned Saturday protest because he
      >developed laryngitis. He said he'll return to Douglas eventually.
      Meanwhile
      >he said he'll focus his protests in California, where the Minuteman
      Project
      >will expand its border-watch effort.
      >
      >When news of the Minuteman Project hit town, Raul Monta´┐Żo's Border
      Mart gas
      >station and convenience store north of the port of entry at Douglas
      >suffered. Then news of the boycott hit, and business dropped, he said.
      >During a similar boycott last week, he suffered a 25 percent loss in
      >business.
      >
      >"That only happens when the groups come down and try to close the
      border,"
      >he said. Anita Garcia, owner of Nubes Steak House in Douglas,
      wondered
      out
      >loud why Californians think they need to protest in Arizona.
      >
      >"Shame on all those people. Why pick on Douglas all of a sudden? We
      don't
      >need that kind of a bad name," she said.
      >
      >She's lived in Douglas 59 years and is aware of the crime and violence
      that
      >hits this otherwise quiet town. But she says she's also aware of the
      same
      >problems anywhere else.
      >
      >Across the port of entry, Carlos Puebla, 30, took a job selling
      chewing gum
      >to people waiting to cross into the United States.
      >
      >"If they're protesting Arizona, then please make them stay in
      Arizona," he
      >said.
      >
      >"This port is what people make a living from."
      >
      >As a result of the flurry of protests and counter-protests, Douglas is
      >getting an image problem and Mexican shoppers are staying away, said
      City
      >Manager Mike Ortega.
      >
      >In response, the
      Chamber of Commerce is launching its own media
      campaign in
      >Sonora to encourage shoppers to please come back.
      >
      >The plan to boycott Douglas to protest the Minutemen surprised
      Minuteman

      mmarizco@...

      >http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/border/72622.php

      To visit "Mestizaje, Chicano, Hispanic, Latino Literary Digest" or "Mestizaje NEWS"/ or "Mestizaje Health News" "Mesitzaje Business Incubators" or "Mestizaje Economics": go to

      To subscribe for free: go to

      Mestizaje Business Incubators

      or

      Subscribe to MestizajeBusinessIncubators