3/3 Action ALERT: Contact your sentator today to stop the REAL ID Act!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005

      Action ALERT: Contact your sentator today to stop the REAL ID Act from becoming law

      From: NCLA

      “REAL ID” PUTS OUR COMMUNITIES IN REAL DANGER

      PLEASE ACT NOW AND TELL YOUR SENATOR TO OPPOSE THE “REAL ID ACT”: THIS BILL WILL NOT MAKE US SAFER; WHAT WE NEED IS REAL IMMIGRATION REFORM

      The “REAL ID Act” (H.R. 418), introduced by Representative Sensenbrenner, was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on February 10, 2005. If allowed to become law, the “REAL ID Act” would have devastating consequences for Latinos in the U.S. The bill has not yet gone to the Senate for a vote. Before it does, we must speak loudly and clearly about our opposition to this legislation.

      Here is what is in H.R. 418 as it stands today. Remember, this is not law yet. Some of these provisions are complex. For more information on the particular sections of the bill, please see: http://www.nclr.org/content/policy/detail/29762/

      • The “REAL ID Act” would restrict immigrant access to driver’s licenses. This bill would create different types of licenses based on a person’s immigration status. This will only leave drivers vulnerable to discrimination and abuse.

      • It would give the Secretary of Homeland Security sweeping authority to waive all laws that would prohibit construction of barriers and roads along our nation’s borders.

      • An amendment to the bill would empower bail bondsmen and bounty hunters to pursue, arrest, and detain immigrants.

      • It would turn back victims of persecution, making it more difficult for those who may have legitimate claims to obtain asylum,.

      • It would allow people to be deported before the conclusion of their federal court cases and would suspend the Great Writ of Habeas Corpus for the first time since the Civil War. These are very important legal rights in the United States and should not be taken away from immigrants.

      When you contact your senator, please communicate the following:
      1. This bill will not make us safer; it will only drive more people into the shadows.

      2. The intelligence reform bill that just passed in December included provisions for federal standards on driver’s licenses and IDs. The Sensenbrenner bill doesn’t give that law a chance to be implemented and tested before imposing complicated and expensive new requirements on states.

      3. We need real comprehensive immigration reform, not band-aid fixes that do nothing to improve homeland security or address the problems with our broken immigration system.

      4. If the senator is faced with a decision to vote on a supplemental bill to fund military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and/or for tsunami relief funding, he or she should demand a “clean bill.” Immigration legislation needs to be considered in a comprehensive way and not as part of an emergency funding situation.

      ActionLA/SEE
      1013 Mission St. #6
      South Pasadena CA 91030
      (All donations are tax deductible)