3/1/2005 - Mexico - "Fill in these tunnels"...U.S.-Mexico Tunnel Opening Found at Residence

  • Al Soto
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005
      >Los Angeles Times
      >U.S.-Mexico Tunnel Opening Found at Residence
      >Federal agents seek search warrant for the Calexico home where the passage
      >likely ends.
      >By Richard Marosi
      >Times Staff Writer
      >March 1, 2005
      >SAN DIEGO - U.S. and Mexican authorities investigating a cross-border
      >tunnel found the entrance in a middle-class residence in Mexicali,
      Mexico, >and believe the passage ends about 100 yards north in a residential
      area of >Calexico, Calif.
      >U.S. federal agents asked a judge for a search warrant Monday to enter
      a >home near the border fence with Mexico. It was the third tunnel
      discovered in the area in 15 months.
      >Authorities suspect the tunnel was used to ferry drugs across the
      >"It appears to be one of the most sophisticated and elaborately
      constructed >tunnels that we have discovered to date," said Lauren Mack, a
      spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
      >The 3-foot-by-5-foot passage, which started in a back bedroom of the
      >Mexicali home, is equipped with ventilation and lighting systems, and
      >with wood beams for support.
      >Outside the entrance, a closed-circuit camera system provided
      >Mexican authorities said.
      >The residence was found abandoned, and no arrests have been made.
      >The tunnel was discovered last week by U.S. federal agents using
      >earth-probing equipment that detects subterranean anomalies.
      >Because of the possibility of a tunnel collapse, agents used a robot
      >pinpoint the location of the tunnel exit on the U.S. side.
      Subscribe to DickCheneysEnergyTaskForce