Calling For A Full Multi-City Discussion

  • LA CISPES
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2001
      Companer@s of the multi-city mobilization for the Mexico-U.S. Border
      Action Project: Warm best wishes and solidarity to you all! The work
      being done throughout the Western States and the Southwest around border
      mobilizations in April is inspiring. Great work!
      I am posting these remarks fully aware of the sensitive nature of this
      issue, but I do want to raise a few questions regarding the possibility of
      our multi-city coalition collaborating with the Teamster union in April. I
      am a unionist of many years, the last 35 with United Teachers/Los Angeles,
      affiliated with both the AFL/CIO and the National Education Association. So
      I am enthusiastic about organized labor endorsing our mobilization and
      working together with labor to build a truly internationalist/solidarity
      border action.
      With regard to our collaboration with the Teamsters, my questions are
      these: (1) Will our policy regarding this sensitive issue be decided after
      a multi-city, collective analysis and discussion, rather than by any one
      city moving forward on a collaboration? (2) How will our companeros/as on
      the Mexican side of the border be fully involved in the discussion so that
      we have their views (3) What will the process be to exchange candid views
      about the issues and resolve any possible complications and concerns? (4)Is
      there someone in discussions now to whom we could direct our comments?
      Can this be addressed in the San Diego meeting on Saturday, March 4?
      Here in Los Angeles we regret that we will not have a delegate at the
      meeting tomorrow so I am raising the issue here seeking clarity about
      process.
      Again, warmest best wishes for continued success as we move forward on
      this exciting project. Don White----Los Angeles