Important Project Proposals from Immigrant Solidarity Network, Peace No War

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2005
      Important Community Education Project Proposals from National Immigrant Solidarity Network, Peace No War Network

      By: Lee Siu Hin
      ActionLA Coalition
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Peace No War Network
      US-Mexico Border Information Project

      Folks:

      As we announced earlier this year, one of our key "Vision 2005" strategy will be community education project.

      We are formulating a "Peace and Justice Caravan" proposals, this is a multi-year project to organize community education campaigns to teach peace, anti-war messages to the communities we don’t usually approach, such as: American rural area, southern states, the “red” states, bible belt, link global and local issues, to organize community events to help recruit new people to the peace and justice movements. Offering them training, tools and skills so they can outreach to their own local communities to influence their opinions on key U.S. domestic and international policies for the years to come.

      So far, we received positive feedbacks from several organizations and community groups. We will propose this at the upcoming United For Peace and Justice Assembly (Feb 19 - 21) at St. Louis.

      I want to ask members from ActionLA, Immigrant Solidarity Network and Peace No War can support our proposal, offer any suggestions and modifications, and us your logistics and financial supports for the project.

      In solidarity

      Lee Siu Hin

      Proposal: Peace & Justice Caravan and Community OutreachProposed By: Lee Siu Hin [ActionLA, Peace No War, National Immigrant Solidarity Network]

      Campaign Area

      Community Education, Peace Caravan, Local Outreach, Skill Training

      Summary description, goals and key strategies

      A multi-year project to organize community education campaigns to teach peace, anti-war messages to the communities we don’t usually approach, such as: American rural area, southern states, the “red” states, bible belt, link global and local issues, to organize community events to help recruit new people to the peace and justice movements. Offering them training, tools and skills so they can outreach to their own local communities to influence their opinions on key U.S. domestic and international policies for the years to come.

      Major goals of this campaign

      -        Create basic, simple messages to advertise our policies. Using arts, film showing and community forum as medium, to educate and recruit people who are not familiar to the issues, to our side.

      -        Create simple messages, education materials, talking points and training packages for them to use.

      -        Offer tools, experiences and network opportunities to help local peace activists to build their new local movements.

      -        Think Globally, Act Locally: link anti-war/peace movements to local community issues, such as: immigrant workers rights, health care, jobs, education, police brutality, counter-recruitments, and so on.

      -        Focus to educate and recruit “middle ground” working-class Americans to our side.

      -        Opportunity to recruit veterans and their families to join our movement, offering tools and skills to create their own local anti-war, counter-recruitment campaigns.

      Major Activities/Tactics, Structure And Staff Organizing

      -        Multi-year peace caravan to travel to American rural area, southern states, the “red” states, bible belt, or immigrant workers communities, to offer community events, such as public forum, film showing, teach-in.

      -        An evening, day-long or weekend event, carefully planned programs to offer education, training, network opportunities and action plan.

      -        The project divided to 3 divisions of labor:

      1)     Speaker bureaus (includes: trainers, artists, film producers, activists and Iraqi veterans): who’ll travel to the meeting location;

      2)     Local host committee: in charge of logistics and local promotions; national coordinators in charge of fund raising travel scholarships for the speakers, scheduling and national promotions.

      Main Messages?

      “Think Globally, Act Locally”

      Why should UFPJ work on this over the next 6-18 months? How does this campaign directly challenge Bush’s empire-building agenda?

      There's a direct link between when Bush attack other on countries, and his attacks on our community.

      That's no secrets that domestically; "War Against Terror" is in fact oppressions against immigrants and Muslims. The invasion and occupation of Iraq is no doubt Bush and neocons taking away our money form education, health care and social programs to buy more weapons to kill other people.

      Bush and neocon using fear factor and phony “Christen values” to manipulate people, as well as divide our movements.

      UFPJ should take a lead in this project because Bush's "War Against terror" is in fact oppressions against our communities, immigrants and Muslims. We need to go to their “enemy territory” to talk to the people, and recruit them to or side, and to build a new local communities to fight against Bush’s empire-building agenda at their backyard.

      Major Constituencies To This Campaign

      This is a basically Do-it-yourself (DIY) style project, groups willing to join will be the one who will also work hard to make it happen. Here’s some initial groups for the project.

      -        Peace No War Network and Education Funds

      -        National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      -        Award-winning film producer Gerard Ungerman and Audry Brohy.

      We are looking to invite veteran, religious, student, labor, immigrant and local community groups to join the project.

      How would this campaign strengthen our ability to win other parts of our agenda down the road?

      We cannot win the struggle just rely on people who think like us—because it’s only represents small partitions of the American public. We need to try reach to people outside us, and consolidate them to our movements.

      We need to speak their ‘language’ and we need to go to where they live, places we generally never go, like: Waco TX, Boise ID, Tallahassee FL or Newport News, VA, and talk to them: mothers, workers and veterans face-to-face, understand our difference, their concern and provide them necessary information and tool to bring them to our side.

      UFPJ and most anti-war and peace networks never focus on outreaching to outside our activist communities at the major city centers—it’s problematic because we are only “pitching to the same people” but missing the vast majority of others—it left to right wings and neocons to grab them. If we are talking about this the people's movement, in order UFPJ can get the major support from the communities, we need to able to reach with them, and support each other.

      Key dates related to this proposal:

      We are proposing the first peace caravan tours to begin this fall, here’s some proposed key dates:

      Spring 2005:               Planning meeting and scheduling and fundraising.

      Summer 2005:            Logistics planning, promotions and educational material design and printing

      Fall 2005:                   First caravan tours begin the marks of fourth anniversary of Sep 11.

      January 2006:            Evaluation and scheduling the 2006 tours

      Winter-Spring 2006: Second caravan and education tours, link & support their local campaigns, and leads to the third annversy of U.S. invasion & occupations of Iraq.

      Summer 2006:            Regional retreats and to support locally focused campaigns, voter registration.

      Fall 2006:                   Caravan to mark the anniversary of Sep 11 and community campaigns leads to the mid-term election.

      ActionLA
      Action for World Liberation Everyday!
      Tel: (213)403-0131

      e-mail: Info@...