Re: agenda for sunday, 4 march (FTAA/Border Meeting at San Diego)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2001
      Hi:

      This is Lee Siu Hin from Los Angeles Border Action Coalition. Unfortunately
      no one from LA will be able to come to this meeting, but I would like to
      suggest the following issue during Sunday meeting at San Diego:

      1. Outreach/coordination with different cities:

      We still don't have a good mechanism for coordinating outreach, messaging,
      fund raising and logistic effort between the cities. While some area of the
      work had been done repeatedly at different cities, many important areas such
      as: community outreach, art, Spanish translation and youth education work
      groups have no body have volunteer to bottom-line.

      Other areas, such as national outreach, media, publication and cross city
      coordination, LA folks had been working intensively. LA would like to open up
      these process with SD, TJ, SF and other coalition cities.

      Therefore, I strongly suggest SD folks to discuss:

      (1) We should set up a cross city coordinate meeting before next SD (3/18?)
      and LA (3/12) general meetings to discuss how we can effectively divide and
      share the work without we are keep reinventing the wheel.

      (2) We should respect the autonomy with each organizing cities, but for
      something will affect coalition (such as: changing the Points of Unity,
      march/logistic plan, major political decisions), it should be FIRST consult
      and approve collectively with each cities.

      In addition, for the April 20-22 mobilization, I propose we should organize a
      cross-border conference (using the propose convergence center) to invite
      workers/youth/farmers/indegious organizers from both side of the borders to
      come to attend. It not just a show cross-border unity, but it will be very
      important if we can reach a joint political resolution. Since I know some
      national organization will endorse the mobilization, they will support an
      ongoing camping to help San Quintin farm workers and Tijuana workers.

      Peace!

      Lee Siu Hin
      Stop FTAA/Border Actions Committee
      Mexico-US Border Mass Mobilization